What Makes A Good Recording Engineer?: 20 Simple Suggestions

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

What Makes A Good Recording Engineer?: 20 Simple Suggestions

Postby Acsii » 30 Jun 2014 22:55

What Makes A Good Recording Engineer?
20 Simple Suggestions Learned the Hard Way
I think this is the write section.
So here I go

Be humble. It's a great job if you can get it. You'll never know everything.

Attention to detail. It's the little things that make or break you.

Always admit a mistake and be willing to make it right no matter how much it hurts.

Before you begin a project make certain the artist understands your role and responsibility. All too often engineers cross the line into producing without knowing it. Before long you may be wishing you were "just" the engineer.

Be in command of your domain. The artist needs to feel confident that you can operate all this fancy equipment so they can concentrate on what they need to do.

Allocate responsibility when appropriate. No one expects you to do everything. If an assistant can do something for you so you can concentrate on more pressing matters that's okay. Don't ask an assistant to do a task you should be doing. Work as a team with your assistant. They'll watch your back for potential disasters, especially if you're getting tired.

Never talk politics with a recording artist. You never know where they're at on any certain issue and some may take it very seriously. Why go there? You have enough problems.

Never get stoned during a session even if the artist offers it to you. If you make a mistake later it was because you're a stoner. No a way to start a career.

Don't blame the equipment. Everyone understands that equipment can fail from time to time. An engineer who is always complaining is a downer for the performers. Shut up and work around it, you're a professional.

It's your job to make sure you get the proper credit in the liner notes. Don't leave it up to a band member or assume the record label will take care of you.

Never do a "spec" project unless you are willing to do it for free.

Learn to accept the word "no" and move on. You will hear it a lot when looking for a job. There is some luck involved but you can make your own luck.

In the beginning say yes to any job offered in the music business. You never know who you'll meet or opportunities that may come from it.

Never loose your cool. Someone has to keep it together in the studio.

Don't allow the artist to keep you in a session longer than you can handle. Long hours don't benefit anyone; you're likely to make a mistake.

If you don't play an instrument start now. It will help you relate to musicians and their equipment better.

If you get a job at a studio it's your obligation to protect their best interest, report any problems to the manager or owner and make the studio look good.

Keep the equipment and yourself clean at all times. Dirty equipment is a bad sign. A dirty engineer is even worse.

Performance is everything, sound is secondary. Spending time on headphone mixes is better time spent than listening to a kick drum for an hour.

When an artist is performing they may be reading your face through the glass for reaction. Always be conscious of what your face is saying.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: What Makes A Good Recording Engineer?: 20 Simple Suggest

Postby Freewave » 01 Jul 2014 12:11

Going to link this on FIMM if you don't mind.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby CitricAcid » 01 Jul 2014 12:33

I think these could really apply to any career in the entertainment industry. Or any career in general, from a certain point of view.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby itroitnyah » 03 Jul 2014 18:31

Awesome, these will be helpful for when I'm looking for a job in the music industry
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 06 Jul 2014 17:40

About 16, do the (limitted) keyboard skills I've picked up producing music count?
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Acsii » 07 Jul 2014 00:35

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:About 16, do the (limitted) keyboard skills I've picked up producing music count?

haha It's a start :P
To best explain this point I should talk about a personal experience. I play guitar right so when a client wants a certain sound on a guitar I can suggest amps and guitars to hire. I can also then talk more in depth to the guitarist about how he should play if he's looking for a certain tone or sound. Same for drums.
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Acsii » 07 Jul 2014 00:39

I'm going to add a new one. This is for ANYONE looking to work in a recording studio or be in a band
LEARN HOW TO TUNE DRUMS. It is a very good skill to have, and it can save you money.
Acsii

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice