Sub isolation

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Sub isolation

Postby Acsii » 22 Apr 2014 03:08

Okay guys quick question. How will a sub isolator help with the low frequency reverb in my room if at all.
Here's an RT60 graph for reference.

Also General acoustics treatment thread
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Re: Sub isolation

Postby itroitnyah » 22 Apr 2014 14:36

If you have a small room, it's generally not recommended to get a studio reference sub, I thought...
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby S.P.P » 02 May 2014 11:57

Acoustic treatment generally is a waste of money. Bass traps in corners of anything at all. The room goes way further than any treatment in it.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby itroitnyah » 02 May 2014 14:16

Pyrelight wrote:Acoustic treatment generally is a waste of money. Bass traps in corners of anything at all. The room goes way further than any treatment in it.

I beg to differ. I set up 6 basic acoustic panels, all six of them made out of Owen Corning 703. Two at the back layered, two on either side, and two behind me. There was definitely a noticeable difference in room reverb and echoes. I don't have any bass traps though, and I'll be getting some for my next studio, which will be exciting. As an example of how beneficial acoustic treatment is, watch this. It's a bit of an extreme example, but I'm sure you get the idea.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 03 May 2014 12:05

I just use an acoustic pad designed for bass amps under my sub monitor. Prevents the sub from vibrating into the floor mostly, but also gives it a very clean sound and feel to it.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Acsii » 03 May 2014 23:41

Kyoga wrote:Navron's method is closest to what I do. Honestly just generating your sounds the way you want them the first time makes it a lot easier to toy with as you go along.
I personally wouldn't suggest trying to use reverb on just the lower frequencies as you're more than likely to end up just making the whole mix muddy.

The reverb graph is the reverb of my room, not what I have set
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Navron » 04 May 2014 19:09

Subbass tends to travel far through walls, but it does like to trap itself in corners. Some bass traps for the corners of your room will clear up the majority of your sub freqs.

Soundproofing the floor and walls themselves is generally for the low-mid range freqs (300-3000Hz). High freqs don't reverberate as much as they lose their energy quickly, and subbass doesn't give a f*** and will just go through your soundproofed walls anyway.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice