Studio Hardware Recommendations

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Studio Hardware Recommendations

Postby S.P.P » 24 Jan 2014 04:59

I'm doing an assignment for college where I have to design and "build" a full recording studio on a budget of £7000.

I have some ideas of what I want but for higher marks I have to include other people's opinions and recommendations; and I trust you guys more than random people on Gearslutz or something.
Suggest anything! From monitors to mixing consoles, to interfaces, channel strips, whatever!

This may also become a good thread for people actually looking to buy stuff. :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Re: Studio Hardware Recommendations

Postby CitricAcid » 24 Jan 2014 05:49

I've seen the RME Babyface interface recommended a number of times on other forums. And I once asked a friend of mine who owns a recording studio for recommendations on microphones, and he suggested the Sennheiser MD421, ElectroVoice RE20, and Sure SM7B (which apparently needs a Rockstar preamp, whatever that is).

Also ProTools. You need it. But you probably already knew that.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Injustrial » 24 Jan 2014 12:00

This guy has got a series where he discusses gear, prices and use. Give it a watch, since he's way more knowledgeable than me
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 24 Jan 2014 19:16

Some analog compression units, a preamp, a DI box, maybe an analogue EQ. The recording studio at my place has these in a sort of patch chord matrix.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby S.P.P » 25 Jan 2014 08:50

CitricAcid wrote:I've seen the RME Babyface interface recommended a number of times on other forums. And I once asked a friend of mine who owns a recording studio for recommendations on microphones, and he suggested the Sennheiser MD421, ElectroVoice RE20, and Sure SM7B (which apparently needs a Rockstar preamp, whatever that is).

Also ProTools. You need it. But you probably already knew that.

Nice choices, thanks! As for Pro Tools; I'd love it but it has to be a Logic-based system because my tutor is a Mac nazi..
Injustrial wrote:This guy has got a series where he discusses gear, prices and use. Give it a watch, since he's way more knowledgeable than me

I love BiaB but I missed this one .. Nice find, cheers man!
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Some analog compression units, a preamp, a DI box, maybe an analogue EQ. The recording studio at my place has these in a sort of patch chord matrix.

On a budget of £7k, this might be a little bit of a stretch; outboard compressors and patch bays can get a little pricey. Thanks though! :D
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Acsii » 25 Jan 2014 17:37

If you're looping for out board effects hou could go The cheaper route by getting a DSP. Also of course you'll want a mixer, digital will probably be the best, or at least one with a built in FireWire interface. This eliminates have to buy a separate audio interface.

Bare with me I'll add more once I'm actually out of bed
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice