Cigar Box Guitars/Homemade Instruments

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Cigar Box Guitars/Homemade Instruments

Postby Crash » 20 Jan 2014 03:22

After finding out that Cigar Box Guitars and other related homemade instruments had a fairly big following, I decided to check it out. My first CBG, a four string slide with a checkers box for a body, should be done this weekend, along with an amp made from an old radio. I also bought an ammo case and an actual cigar box, and those will be the resonators for my next two guitars, hopefully fretted.
I can't be the only one on here that's into this, right? Does anyone else here make cigar box guitars?
I'd like to apologize for all the absolutely stupid threads I've made in 2013/2014.
Crash

Primary: FL Studio 8
Cutie Mark: Infinite reverb pedals

Re: Cigar Box Guitars/Homemade Instruments

Postby Acsii » 20 Jan 2014 04:25

I'm definitely into this stuff. Although I don't own any or make any. I love the things. Also on the homemade instruments thing I make synths :D
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Crash » 21 Jan 2014 01:37

Ah, the infamous Acsiidental Synths. I remember seeing the thread for it a while back and being pretty impressed. Ive got to get me a Droner someday...
Ive been meaning to make a synth for a very. very long time. Unfortunately, where I live there are no electronics stores that sell what I need and shipping for online orders are way too expensive. Someday...
I'd like to apologize for all the absolutely stupid threads I've made in 2013/2014.
Crash

Primary: FL Studio 8
Cutie Mark: Infinite reverb pedals

Postby Alycs » 21 Jan 2014 14:33

I haven't really made an fully functional instrument but I accidentally made a Saw-Tri wavetable synth while trying to hook up potentiometer leads to my ultrasonic tranducer.

The coolness was somewhat diminished as I couldn't actually hear the sound and only realized what I had done after the fact...
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Jokeblue » 01 Feb 2014 19:51

I haven't made a cigar box guitar, but my friend made what he called a "hobo guitar" form a plank of wood, a jar, a pickup/input and a string years ago. It was terrible, but worked. Actually wrote a pretty cool riff on it too.

It was pretty much a really crappy version of this.

Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice