CPU problems, such confusion

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

CPU problems, such confusion

Postby FLAOFEI » 14 Jan 2014 11:07

So... My it looks like fl only uses half my cpu. The FL cpu load meter thing overloads when the computers cpu load meter thing is only around 50%

It's a quad core, so I guessed FL might only suport dual core, but looking at the cpu usage history in the task manager it doesn't look like it... Idk, I'm confused.
Power plan thing is at high performance.

Using the ASIO4ALL on with the highest latency and it's still overloads. :(

Helps?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: CPU problems, such confusion

Postby Facade » 14 Jan 2014 12:03

did you enable multithreaded under audio settings in fl?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Navron » 14 Jan 2014 12:43

Are you sure your CPU is a 4-core? Usually you'll see twice the number of physical cores in the task manager because half of them are physical cores and the other half logical cores.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Jan 2014 13:07

Are you sure your CPU is a 4-core? Usually you'll see twice the number of physical cores in the task manager because half of them are physical cores and the other half logical cores.
it only shows the physical cores in task manager. I'm using an 8-core and it's only showing 8 windows.

Yeah, I found the same thing with task manager after you brought it up. I doubt it's this big of an issue, unless you're constantly running out of processor power with projects. In that case a computer upgrade may be at hand when you decide you've had enough of constantly clipping the cpu power.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Navron » 15 Jan 2014 01:54

If you have an 8-core AMD, a 4-core Intel w/ hyperthreading will show 8 windows as well because of the logical cores. If you have an Intel CPU, I HIGHLY doubt you have an 8-core. The cheapest 8-core Intel CPU starts around $1800, for just the processor.

For example, my laptop's i7 only has 4 cores, but it still shows 8 in the task manager because of the logical cores.

My CPU:
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu ... 40+2.70GHz

The reason I asked in the beginning, is because if Flaofei is running Intel, chances are he actually has a 2-core CPU w/ hyperthreading, which would show up as 4 cores in task manager. It would also explain the performance issues.

I'm getting this vague feeling that both of you are looking at task manager to get how many cores you have.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Jan 2014 06:36

I'm running an AMD fx-8350. But perhaps Flao is running an intel, as you suggested.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby HMage » 15 Jan 2014 07:42

A single-core program is thrown around the cores by windows.

A program that takes 100% of one core you will see using 25% of each, but the sum will never be more than 100%.

This is done for various reasons and Linux, FreeBSD and OSX do that for same reasons as well.

So you really are using 100% of CPU. It just looks like fl studio doesn't support multiple cores and uses only one. Maybe update it?
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby Facade » 15 Jan 2014 09:14

HMage wrote:A single-core program is thrown around the cores by windows.

A program that takes 100% of one core you will see using 25% of each, but the sum will never be more than 100%.

This is done for various reasons and Linux, FreeBSD and OSX do that for same reasons as well.

So you really are using 100% of CPU. It just looks like fl studio doesn't support multiple cores and uses only one. Maybe update it?

im pretty sure fl studio supports multiple cores though theres even settings for it under audio? then again maybe it uses multiple cores for audio rendering and the rest is only single core'd
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice