Is it worth buying an analogue synth like this?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Worth?

WORTH!!!
45%
Meh :/
14%
SEARCH YOUR FEELINGS!!! ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE!!!
41%

Total votes : 22

Is it worth buying an analogue synth like this?

Postby FLAOFEI » 21 Dec 2013 19:58

So I found a fancy old analogue synth organ thing from the 80s in a 2nd hand store yesterday. It's a Yamaha Electone B35-N and would cost 800 sek which is about $100. Looking on ebay that seems like an ok deal.

Although I'm not that good of a player (yet) I do think it would be an awesome thing to play around with, but since I never owned an analogue synth before I really don't know what I'm getting myself into.
Is this the kind of thing that probably breaks every few weeks and I'll have to buy expensive spare parts only available with shipment from america? It looked like it had been in someones attic or something judging from the amount of dust on it, so I doubt the previous owner took good care of it. I haven't had a chance to test if it works yet, but I will do that before I buy it (if I do).

Spoiler Pic:

Also, if it's possible to mod it to play midi I'm definitely buying it. (as long as it works that is)

The short version:
Should I buy the Yamaha Electone B35-N?
Is $100 a reasonable price for a synth from the 80s in questionable condition?
Will I have to buy expensive spare parts all the time to keep it functional?
Is it possible to open it up and give it midi capabilities?
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Re: Is it worth buying an analogue synth like this?

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 21 Dec 2013 20:07

I don't know about them breaking down, and you should research that before you decide, but if they are trustworthy, I think it would make a fine Christmas present to yourself.
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Injustrial » 21 Dec 2013 20:55

My neighbor has one of these. It's completely functional, even after years of wear and tear, kids, pets, you name it. The only problem with my neighbor's is a button is missing, making it impossible to do a couple of effects. But that's more to do with children having access to tools, more than the quality of the thing itself.

TLDR: You want it, you buy it
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby CaptainFluffatun » 21 Dec 2013 21:30

Even if you aren't a good player, donking around on that (with proper technique) would help you get better
CaptainFluffatun

Primary: Cubase 5
Cutie Mark: Orchestral

Postby Crash » 21 Dec 2013 22:35

I had a Yamaha A-25 Electone for a while, and it worked for decades without anything going wrong. A few keys were missing, and some switches had some finicky contacts, but all in all Electones, in my opinion, were pretty good synths.
If you like it and want it, then get it.
I'd like to apologize for all the absolutely stupid threads I've made in 2013/2014.
Crash

Primary: FL Studio 8
Cutie Mark: Infinite reverb pedals

Postby Navron » 22 Dec 2013 01:14

If it doesn't have any MIDI capabilities, then I doubt there's anything short of a complete overhaul to get it MIDI capable.

MIDI is a language based on events, such as note-on, note-off, etc. It's possible the keyboard uses MIDI to communicate those signals to the circuitry, but it's also possible it's just a bunch of wires strewn together in a normal electrical interface.

In the absence of MIDI information, you'd be looking at rewiring the entire synth (including every key). All the effects would have to be re-wired to accept the MIDI information as well.

Without MIDI, it would be easier to modify the output wiring (ex: Converting the output speaker signal to XLR), in which you could then directly plug the output of the synth into an audio interface, and record live audio from the synth. You won't be able to control any software synths, but I doubt you're considering this solely to control VSTs.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 22 Dec 2013 04:23

Someone technically gifted enough could make it midi capable, but doing it yourself probably isn't the smartest thing in the world unless you're that kind of gifted I just mentioned.

It could be something fun to have around though. Even if you don't actually use it in music, it looks like something fun to mess around with.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby FLAOFEI » 25 Dec 2013 16:09

@eryy
I was kinda thinking midi - cv, or taping into whatever signal the keys gave, but that shit looked expensive O.O If I ever do that I'll probably just get an arduino, do some programming my self and hope for the best :I Not spending more on that than on the synth!

And we do have Blocket.se where ppl buy and sell/give shit, but they didn't have any organ donors :/ The cheapest in my area was 500kr for an organ with a bit fewer sliders :/

So, pretty sure I'm buying it when the shop opens again... still depends on how well it works when I try it, and how good it sounds, and if someone else didn't buy it before me... And if I still wan't it by then :I
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Navron » 25 Dec 2013 22:56

Buy a full pipe organ for $500,000 USD. Become the king of the "Show off your workshop/studio," thread!
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby JayB » 28 Dec 2013 05:33

I wouldn't take it. It's an organ. If you want a synth, get a synth instead. You know, those with plenty of knobs and faders. ;)
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice