I'm New...

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

I'm New...

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 07 Oct 2013 07:49

Hello, I'm obviously new to this community and I would really like some help getting started with music in general.
I would really like to do some work with DJing and dubstep (if those can be considered the same thing). But I don't know what programs would be best and I would also like somebody to help with voices if it wouldn't be too much trouble.

My DJ information is based on an OC of mine named Angelshy...I hope OC's are allowed, she's related to Fluttershy and involved with Discord in terms of spirits and such...

That's all I have...any help and or questions are appreciated...
Not sure if someone beat me to this buuuuuut...: I'm P-I-N-K-A-M-E-N-A P-I-E...hey Rainbow Dash won't you plea$e c0m3 m4K3 CUPC4KE5 W!TH M3?
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Mash-Up

Re: I'm New...

Postby LFP » 07 Oct 2013 09:30

Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 07 Oct 2013 14:48

Eery, this is a lot of helpful advice, I meant dubstep, but I see so many artists that produce theirs with the title of DJ (such as myself). I sort of assumed that they weren't related but I wanted to clear that up. I believe producing is what I am wanting to do, perhaps learn how to remix already made songs too, or just audio in general. As for the programs, thanks for the reccomendations, I haven't checked them out yet, but just in case they weren't free, are there any good, easy to understand, free ones? I don't have an ability to pay for one and I don't want to download an illegal copy.

LFP, thank you for the link, when I can I'll definitely check it out.
Not sure if someone beat me to this buuuuuut...: I'm P-I-N-K-A-M-E-N-A P-I-E...hey Rainbow Dash won't you plea$e c0m3 m4K3 CUPC4KE5 W!TH M3?
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby Conduit » 07 Oct 2013 14:54

If you have access to a mac, GarageBand is decent, and free. I'm not aware of any free DAW's for PC though. I think reaper is pretty cheap, but I honestly don't know much about it, so I can't testify to the ease of use, or quality.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 07 Oct 2013 15:07

Conduit: Thank you for the advice, I wish I had a MAC, they seem to have a lot of good programs specifically for apple products...but oh well. At least I'm (possibly) starting to get noticed (a little). My YouTube isn't very active and I just want to try and get myself up and running for my page and for this (if that isn't lame to say).

Eery (again): Thank you again, I have lmms saved so perhaps I'll tinker with that first.
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Oct 2013 16:34

Yeah, toy around with LMMS before you decide to get dedicated to music or not. It's not as bad as Eery describes it to be.

Also, learn music theory, composition, song structuring and sound synthesis if you don't know these things already. If you want some basic LMMS tutorials, you can check out this youtube series.

Oh, and hey, I usually tell people this when they start out with music, but be careful not to think that you're hot shit when you make your first song, haha. I sorta thought I was and had my ego somewhat smashed when I checked the video the next day.

My DJ information is based on an OC of mine named Angelshy...I hope OC's are allowed, she's related to Fluttershy and involved with Discord in terms of spirits and such...

ImageWell.... erm... that's nice, I guess

Let's just wait until you know what you're doing before you try to make pieces that hold complex emotions.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 07 Oct 2013 17:51

itroitnyah: Of course not, I know my first song will probably not be that great, I'll just be glad if I make anything that sounds good at all. ^^* As for my persona, that's just how it goes in my comic (that's never gonna get seen by anyone other than me...*dies), I'm sticking to it, if I end up sucking well...I like the name, it's the only creative thing I have. *sobz*
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby itroitnyah » 07 Oct 2013 18:11

Alrighty then. Well, feel free to experiment around with lmms and synth1 then hit up the music sharing section of this forum to show us what you've made.

Also hit up the tutors thread and find some of the other awesome people here to help you out with whatever you may want or need.

this thread is also very nice as well.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby the4thImpulse » 07 Oct 2013 18:22

DJ D!SC0RD3R wrote:I know my first song will probably not be that great, I'll just be glad if I make anything that sounds good at all.

If you have no (or very little) prior experience in music than think of it like your first drawing in kindergarten, its not going to sound good at all but its perfectly normal (and acceptable) for you to like and be proud of it.

I wouldn't recommend sharing it with anyone but personal friends or people who can give you advice, just start working on the next song and then the next song and so on. After a year of deep learning and practice then consider putting it on youtube and the like.

Don't be this guy..

Be patient and never expect anything back, do it because you like it. I have stopped releasing my tracks part because I've been lazy but also because my latest song every month isn't going to get me further career wise. I needed to focus on making music I enjoyed to make.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 08 Oct 2013 07:11

the4thImpulse: If anything I made was half as good as that I would be proud...although I do prefer the more...upbeat and fast-paced style of dubstep. I am only here because I think I would enjoy not only making music, but being in a group of people who like what I do. (My brother thinks I'm a fag for liking the show and music and what-not, and out here in the middle of nowhere, my only friend that likes it with me has moved all the way to Texas...)
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby S.P.P » 08 Oct 2013 08:30

the4thImpulse wrote:
Don't be this guy..

Hahaha thankyou, I needed that.

On the subject of dubstep, especially the "more upbeat and fast-paced style of dubstep"; it's very complex and probably one of the hardest genres to pull off, especially to start with. I would suggest a couple of thing before starting:

-Get some basic theory down. Even if you don't do this, make sure you know what not to do musically.
-Try producing something less complicated than dubstep. Things like electro, house, and some forms of DnB are easier to produce (no offence to artists of these genres!) so are possibly a better starting point.
-Get stuck in making rubbish music for fun! I can't stress this enough! Just make stuff. Mess around with synths and don't be afraid to experiment- even it it's rubbish. It's not like you have to release it and show people after all. Just have some fun, and eventually you'll see improvements and before you know it you'll have come a long way. I can almost guarantee every musician sucked for a good while when they started, I know I did for sure.

Anyway, pick up a demo of a DAW that takes your fancy and enjoy it! :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 08 Oct 2013 08:34

PYR3LIGHT: Of course I will certainly test it out before I actually try to make something serious. And I really only want to do this for fun. Flutter Rex and Dr. Zoidberg are both my original inspirations to try and make some of my own stuff. I don't want profit, just a less empty YouTube and to be able to say I made something myself.
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby Nine Volt » 08 Oct 2013 17:06

Time for me to jump in here (andhopefullynotscareoffthenewguyagain). Be warned that what I'm about to say may have been already said above but I want to give you some pointers.

-Don't think too highly of yourself. Your first tracks are going to suck, and that's fine. You'll get better.
-Learn how to react to criticism. Don't bash criticizers, listen to them even if they're haters. If they start actually flaming and personally attacking you, ignore or block them.
-Learn theory, and learn it well. Even if you think you don't need to, it will help you greatly.
-Look for critique. Many people aren't going to leave good, thorough critiques unless you specifically ask them to.
-In the same vein, don't just listen to youtube or soundcloud comments. Especially once you build up a following.

There's a lot more I could post but I can't think of anything. Oh yeah, get to know people around here if you plan on sticking around. Try posting in the spam thread - I'm too lazy to grab a link but it's always near the top of the Community subforum (or whatever the hell circuitfry decided to call it now). Just be nice.

With regards to dubstep, the "upbeat and fast paced" style of dubstep is called drumstep, a portmanteau of dubstep and drum and bass. A portmanteau that incorporates a portmanteau. Odd. Some facts about it:
-It's in the 150-180 BPM range, give or take a few, whereas normal dubstep is generally 140 with halftime drums.
-It will be too hard to make for you. I don't mean that as an insult, but you will literally be unable to make anything decent in the genre for quite some time.

If you're going to learn any type of synthesis, start with the basics. While many growly and squelchy basses are not made with the common subtractive style of synthesis, learning subtractive synthesis is a must. Once you've well and truly grasped the concepts of synthesis in general and learned how to subtractively synthesis, you'll be able to make your way into the hell world/gold mine that is FM synthesis. It'll take a while though.

I'm not the one to look for for VSTs, I don't use them, but some popular ones are Massive, Sylenth, and FM8. For the love of god, do not get Nexus.

And for DAWs...
Well, if you want an actual, professional level DAW, I'd like to mention the always-present possibility of pirating it. I'm not advocating that you go and do that, really, but it's a possibility. Just don't mention it to anyone or you'll get quite a few disapproving, occasionally elitist and occasionally hypocritical comments coming your way. Such is life.

Oh yeah, get some decent drum samples too. Vengeance is a good place to start (VEC4 is pretty good).

EDIT: Almost forgot this. You should remove the "DJ" part of your name unless you actually can DJ.

btw, the OC thing sounds like a Mary Sue. A Copy Cat Sue and possibly a Relationship Sue.
Nine Volt

Postby KillerAmp » 08 Oct 2013 19:08

Allow me to give advice to a noobie before they go headstrong into the technical aspect:
Please
remember that the most important part to your song is going to be your foundation, which will be your notes
don't do what I did, which was learning all the technical aspects and knowing the program like the back of my hand, but then getting completely discoureged by the fact that my songs wern't what i wanted them to sound like. When you go into this with the mindset of technical, technical, technical, you end up leaving with great knowledge of the program, except its great knowledge on how to make the same kind of stuff that everyone does, and when you go in to make a track, you find that your melodies all feel the same. Experiment by making melodies with the simplest synths and drums, and from there build on your ideas

Most of all never give up

I almost did.
KillerAmp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: Feels

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 09 Oct 2013 02:55

Nine Volt: All of your advice is really helpful. I don't have any type of degree or anything like some people here do have, I just really like music. Practice
is my first priority.
Second...what exactly is a '-sue'? I don't think my character is one of those things, (at least I hope not), I just like the concept of chaos and the polar opposites of the elements and thought it would be an interesting persona for this...(instead of just creating a new one)...
Also, I'm not sure how to change the username yet but I'll try to change it when I can, I'm starting to dislike the 'dj' thing too, (though I wasn't trying to indicate a skill level, just have a catchy name).

KillerAmp: I know I'm not going to be great at it at first. Understanding is the least of my wants, if I could just locate the different things in the program it would be nice. I don't plan to give up but it may be a while before I can honestly start...(due to school and such).
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Postby DJ D!SC0RD3R » 09 Oct 2013 07:15

Nine Volt: Oh! Those were links. I will admit that Angel is a little like Fluttershy but only because I would assume Fluttershy may have inherited her timid personality from her parents (and they're related because I think it's a little sad all the other ponies have family but her)...as for the relationship thing...there isn't one, Angel having her chaotic personalities was simply something I made when I saw 'Keep Calm And Flutter On' (it was before I saw 'The Return Of Harmony'), where she had the polar opposites of the elements as personalities...I did not intend to make it seem like a Relationship-Sue. I'm sorry.
I'm Pinkalicious
DJ D!SC0RD3R

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice