Seeking Advice - Starter Gear

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Seeking Advice - Starter Gear

Postby Seedling » 22 Sep 2013 23:39

sorry if this is in the wrong place

After way too many years of being an amateur with no real way of actually putting out ideas I've had, I'm finally starting to pull myself together to actually get into some music production. I've been lurking around here for a couple weeks now, and I've gotta say, this forum is awesome.

Anywho, I'm looking for some advice on where to start with actual recording gear. At the moment, it looks like I'll need a microphone, MIDI keyboard/controller and a pair of speakers that are actually decent, although I'm mostly worried about the first two at the moment. If anyone could give some good recommendations (without getting too expensive, ~$200-300 range at most, if possible, so long as the quality isn't totally awful) that'd be awesome.

As for the DAW, I've been looking at FL Studio and it seems to be the way I wanna go, although I have used Logic and Studio One in the past (though I didn't exactly enjoy using the latter). I was mainly wondering, how good is FL for orchestral stuff and putting together recorded tracks? Also, is the Signature bundle worth the extra? Thanks :D
Seedling

Primary: Logic Pro X 10.0.6
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Re: Seeking Advice - Starter Gear

Postby colortwelve » 22 Sep 2013 23:54

Well, what exactly are you looking to start doing? Producing or recording (and what kind of recording - vocals, instruments, etc.)? Because I started producing with a laptop and a pair of monitor headphones that you can get for about $80 on Amazon, and that worked fine for me for over a year.

Admittedly, I probably couldn't help you as far as proper recording goes, because everything to that effect that I own I've gotten as gifts. However, I can say that a good pair of headphones can do you just as much good as a set of speakers, so consider getting some Sony MDR-7506's to save a bit in that department ^_^
Youtube -- Soundcloud -- Tumblr -- Bandcamp (new album out!)

I can't feel my brain.
colortwelve

Postby Seedling » 23 Sep 2013 00:15

Beautiful, that sounds good. At the moment, I'm looking at getting mainly into producing, but recording is definitely something I want to at least have a good shot at. Sometimes just plugging notes into a piano roll/score isn't really enough, y'know?
Seedling

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 23 Sep 2013 01:19

Trust me when I say your midi controller doesn't have to be very high quality. I got by on a cheap M-Audio one for a fair while.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Seedling » 23 Sep 2013 05:24

My main issue at the moment is microphones. I'm after something fairly general purpose, and quite frankly I really don't know an awful lot about them. It'd most likely be used mainly to record instruments and occasionally vocals if I get around to becoming good at that whole thing, although I'm also somewhat interested in experimental noise and ambient soundscapes, so it'd probably end up being used for environmental sounds as well.

As for MIDI controllers, any particular recommendations or should I just check out a bunch of music shops until I find something that seems alright?
Seedling

Postby Alycs » 23 Sep 2013 06:00

There are a lot of ways you can go with midi controllers actually, it all depends on what you're going to do with them. For example, there are

Keyboard Controllers:
This is probably the broadest category, and the best one to go to if you are used to traditional instruments and are going to be writing more of the "melodic" type music. Basically, its just what it sounds like - midi controllers in a keyboard format. You can usually get these for pretty cheap (I got a two-octave AKAI for only $35) and they are usually really easy to set up.

Slider Controllers:
These will usually look more like DJ mixers (not turntables) than any instrument, but these are great for adjusting parameters for projects on the fly, and are absolutely necessary for live mixing and performances (or at least good ones) I can't really recommend any as I just use my DJ controller's mixers and faders for this, but these can get pretty expensive pretty fast, and while I'm talking from limited experience, they seem quite a lot harder to get working within a DAW.

Pad Controllers:
These are pretty cool machines for live work as well. These usually have a number of big boxy buttons, each tied to a specific effect or instrument, and trigger by being pressed. Again, I use my DJ controller for this purpose, but some great ones are Novation's Launchpad, QuNeo 3D (this one is a pad and slider controller in one), and midi fighters.

There are also DJ controllers; with a budget of 200-300, you could get a pretty solid beginner controllers (or an intermediate if you went used), and these will usually give you sliders and a few pads, along with the decks, which can act as knobs. They won't give you a keyboard though, and I've heard that a few DJ controllers can be pains to set up, but it is another option.

The best way to find what you want is just to go to a music shop, though.
---
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Seedling » 23 Sep 2013 06:19

It sounds like I'll just be sticking to the keyboard controller, though the DJ controllers do sound cool. Maybe something to look into another time, cause I don't really plan on doing much live work, at least not for a good while.

Thanks everyone :D
Seedling

Postby Conduit » 23 Sep 2013 06:55

If you add me on skype I could talk you through some of this, I have a fairly good grasp of different hardware, and could give some info to help you decide on a DAW.

https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby CitricAcid » 23 Sep 2013 07:13

As for keyboards, I can personally recommend the M-Audio Oxygen series. I like them because they have plenty of faders for mapping to your various parameters. Being able to record automation while playing is invaluable. I HATE having to manually draw automation curves with the mouse. My only gripe with the Oxygens is that they're a little confusing to configure. I find I have to sometimes pull out the manual whenever I want to change one of the faders' parameters. You can get a 25-key Oxygen for about $100.

As for microphones, I actually asked a friend of mine who owns a recording studio about intro level microphones not too long ago. He recommended the AKG Perception 120 or Audio-Technica AT2020 condenser mics and the Shure SM57 dynamic mic. If you're doing experimental noise stuff, I would recommend a condenser as they are much more sensitive. Bear in mind too that you'll need an audio interface with mic preamps for connecting your mic to. You can get a 2 input interface for $100-$150 I think. I've got a Focusrite interface which I understand has good mic pres, but I have yet to put them to use. A microphone is currently on my want list as well.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby the4thImpulse » 23 Sep 2013 08:17

Well since you are so new to producing I highly reccomend just waiting a bit to play around with your DAW. Get the demo of FL studio and watch some beginners youtube tutorials (there are many out there). Try making music first to know if you will enjoy it and what sort of gear you may be more interested in.

From my experience when I first started I thought I needed a completely different set of gear than what I own now. Only time has shown me what would help me the most.

Microphones will require an audio interface to work optimally, the best all purpose microphone is hands down the Shure SM58. Every studio and every live sound company owns these because they can work on any sound fairly well and they can take a beating. They cost ~$100 (American) and a simple audio interface with a mic preamp will set you back no more than 200 American dollars.

A cheapest midi keyboard I like is called the 'key station' from m-audio. It has four octaves (49 keys) and costs slightly more than $100 depending where you look. I own it, its very budget friendly, it gets the job done.

Don't worry abut expensive headphones or monitoring until you know if you want to continue down the music path. Seriously the best thing you should do right now is get the demo and learn how to produce the music you want to produce.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Sep 2013 14:38

I was looking at the $300 and thinking "you really expect to get anything decent out of that money?", but then I realized that you actually can. It's amazing how cheap you can build a basic "studio" for these days ignores the fact that I'm going to be spending $12000+ on a new studio when I move to college
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Seedling » 25 Sep 2013 00:50

itroitnyah wrote:I was looking at the $300 and thinking "you really expect to get anything decent out of that money?", but then I realized that you actually can. It's amazing how cheap you can build a basic "studio" for these days ignores the fact that I'm going to be spending $12000+ on a new studio when I move to college

The difference there is that you'll have an actual, and no doubt awesome studio :P Consider me jealous

Those M-Audio keyboards do look pretty nice. I'll probably just stick with the Keystation or something similar, at least for the time being. I actually kind of enjoy working the automation in the DAW itself, though if that changes at least a new keyboard wouldn't be a huge setback.
May have to look into the microphones a bit more though, I know that my mate's school music block has an AT2020 and I'm sure it's got some SM57s as well. I've been there once for a jam with his band, so I might see if I can get there again and try out the mics a bit. Are there many key differences between the 57 and 58?
Seedling

Postby Acsii » 25 Sep 2013 02:22

If you play guitar or have a synth and you wanna record them I recommend picking up a rock smith cable. That's what I use for mine.
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby S.P.P » 25 Sep 2013 08:01

Seedling wrote:My main issue at the moment is microphones. I'm after something fairly general purpose, and quite frankly I really don't know an awful lot about them. It'd most likely be used mainly to record instruments and occasionally vocals if I get around to becoming good at that whole thing, although I'm also somewhat interested in experimental noise and ambient soundscapes, so it'd probably end up being used for environmental sounds as well.

As for MIDI controllers, any particular recommendations or should I just check out a bunch of music shops until I find something that seems alright?

As for microphones, I'd get a couple different ones.
Behringer C2's (comes two in a pair with a T-bar for about £50) plus an SM57 or 58 to suit your needs (I prefer the 58 personally).
Alternatively a good general purpose mic would be a Bluebird; although it's probably best suited to vocals.
But really, all of this is trivial. Finding a mic you really like is key here. Every mic will sound different- try looking around for demos of ones you're interested in. Just because I listed those microphones doesn't mean they're great or that you should rush out and buy them, they're just recommendations that I feel you should check out.

EDIT: Do your homework. Try and get to grips with large and small diaphragm condensers, decide what suits you. Research that mic and if you're satisfied, then go for it. :3

I know little to nothing about MIDI controllers, sorry. :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby the4thImpulse » 25 Sep 2013 08:25

PYR3LIGHT wrote:plus an SM57 or 58 to suit your needs (I prefer the 58 personally).

57 and 58's are the exact same microphone besides the pop filter, identical internals. If you don't want the pop filter effect on an instrument then simply twist if off and you have a 57!

Seriously focus on making music rather than what you think you need to start. If you have a daw you can make music.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Acsii » 25 Sep 2013 08:41

4th is correct once again :D
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Seedling » 26 Sep 2013 14:42

the4thImpulse wrote:Seriously focus on making music rather than what you think you need to start. If you have a daw you can make music.

That... is a really good point.

Thanks so much everyone, I'm really looking forward to... whatever it is that lies ahead, but I'm sure it's gonna be great :grin:
Seedling

Postby S.P.P » 27 Sep 2013 12:11

the4thImpulse wrote:
PYR3LIGHT wrote:plus an SM57 or 58 to suit your needs (I prefer the 58 personally).

57 and 58's are the exact same microphone besides the pop filter, identical internals. If you don't want the pop filter effect on an instrument then simply twist if off and you have a 57!

This is true. But because the grilles are different, there is a slightly different frequency response at the high end. In fairness I very rarely use the SM series when there are much better microphones available to me at college. ^-^
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice