Professional Recording Soundcards

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Professional Recording Soundcards

Postby CitricAcid » 10 Oct 2013 21:12

the4thImpulse wrote:Again those soundards are most important for physical inputs and outputs (channels/tracks). RAM is most important for audio samples, having more and faster RAM will allow you to handle more audio samples at once. CPU is most important for VSTs; both effects and synths.

And hard drive/SSD space and speed is most important for streaming any large sample libraries you might use.

Big audio people have the beastliest computer setups.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby the4thImpulse » 10 Oct 2013 21:33

CitricAcid wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:Again those soundards are most important for physical inputs and outputs (channels/tracks). RAM is most important for audio samples, having more and faster RAM will allow you to handle more audio samples at once. CPU is most important for VSTs; both effects and synths.

And hard drive/SSD space and speed is most important for streaming any large sample libraries you might use.

Big audio people have the beastliest computer setups.

In sample libraries for sampler vsts yes, and SSD is most preferable. For straight audio in a sequencer its loaded onto the RAM rather streaming from the hard drive. I should've clarified that difference.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Oct 2013 05:36

Aaaah, alright. Well, I still don't think I'll be using near 127 software channels or whatnot, so I feel that I'm safe with just an audio interface. Btw, is there a way to check to see how many software channels are being used?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby the4thImpulse » 11 Oct 2013 09:32

itroitnyah wrote:Aaaah, alright. Well, I still don't think I'll be using near 127 software channels or whatnot, so I feel that I'm safe with just an audio interface. Btw, is there a way to check to see how many software channels are being used?

Look at your DAW, just count those channels with the VSTs and audio. Again software is all blurred, in the right circumstance the cheapest soundcard can easily use 100 channels, and with the right combination of plugins and audio it might only handle 20 before you need to adjust the buffer size.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Oct 2013 14:25

Hm, alright. Well, I'll keep those factors in mind, then.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Previous

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice