Problems with SHURE SM48S...Help?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Problems with SHURE SM48S...Help?

Postby Rainboom » 25 Aug 2013 19:31

My friend gave me a SHURE SM48S to up the quality of my vocals (since beforehand I was using a PS2 Guitar Hero mic). He also gave me a XLR to 1/4 Male Jack cable and a 1/4 Female to 3.5 mm Male adapter that was SUPPOSEDLY going to be able to plug into the 3.5 mm microphone jack of my laptop and at least work (maybe not to its full potential but at least pick up enough of a signal to record with). Well I plugged it all in and it my computer recognized the jack was occupied, as it said "External mic on left side", but it wasn't getting any input. If i turn the mic on or off, however, the input level will register that a sound was picked up, but still won't pick up anything else after that. My friend swears that it's either the cable or the adapter and not the microphone. (I believe him because i've heard about how durable these SHURE mics are). Personally, I wonder if I don't have a good enough power supply to run the mic.

If anybody can figure out my problem and help me get this mic working, I will be really greatful. And owe you a cookie.
Rainboom

Primary: KRISTAL Audio Engine
Cutie Mark: Rapping

Re: Problems with SHURE SM48S...Help?

Postby the4thImpulse » 25 Aug 2013 20:38

You will need a good pre amp/mixer and a soundcard to get the out out of that mic. As for why it doesn't work with your computer it's probably just not getting that gain it needs. We you flip the switch and the computer measures the 'pop' I can tell that the cables are all fine, at least fine enough that you should get a signal.

Try a louder signal source and find a way to gain it up. But better yet get a proper soundcard with a pre amp.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby itroitnyah » 25 Aug 2013 21:56

I'd just buy an audio interface. If you can't do that, there are XLR-USB cables that you can buy. Shorten up the cord progression ahuehue and it should work a lot better. If it still doesn't work then just return the cord and get an audio interface
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby UnderKeel » 25 Aug 2013 23:27

I venture to suggest that your 1/4 to 3.5 adapter is just as a mono (two contacts: signal (left in stereo) and the ground).
The mic-in on the laptops is designed for stereo jack 3.5, so the signal perceived correctly if the signal from the media mic is goes into the left and the right channels. It still mono signal, but it sound's in the both channels (speakers).
I had the same trouble. This problem was solved in this way of the commutation:
Mic's XLR (crappy karaoke mic :D) - XLR-Mono jack 6.3 cable - Stereo jack 6.3 to 2 RCA adapter - 2 RCA to stereo jack 3.5 adapter - mic-in on the multimedia soundcard. Now it's works.
loop =~=~=~=~=~
Hi. All my works here:
YouTube
SoundCloud
end loop -~-~_~-~-
UnderKeel

Postby the4thImpulse » 25 Aug 2013 23:57

UnderKeel wrote:I venture to suggest that your 1/4 to 3.5 adapter is just as a mono (two contacts: signal (left in stereo) and the ground).

The mic-in on the laptops is designed for stereo jack 3.5, so the signal perceived correctly if the signal from the media mic is goes into the left and the right channels. It still mono signal, but it sound's in the both channels (speakers).
I had the same trouble. This problem was solved in this way of the commutation:
Mic's XLR (crappy karaoke mic :D) - XLR-Mono jack 6.3 cable - Stereo jack 6.3 to 2 RCA adapter - 2 RCA to stereo jack 3.5 adapter - mic-in on the multimedia soundcard. Now it's works.

I myself was questioning that idea earlier but couldn't think to explain how the popping sound would get through the computer. If you can explain it I'd love to know.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice