Mac, PC or Linux?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Mac, PC or Linux?

Postby DerpyGrooves » 20 Aug 2013 18:43

I'm thinking about getting a mac. Seems pretty chill.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Mac, PC or Linux?

Postby Conduit » 20 Aug 2013 20:28

Macs are great for music production, everything just works with little to no effort on your part. PC pretty much wins for everything else though.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby DerpyGrooves » 20 Aug 2013 21:10

Conduit wrote:Macs are great for music production, everything just works with little to no effort on your part. PC pretty much wins for everything else though.

yeah no for a beastly gaming rig PC sounds quite choice

but yeah idk I'm looking at the macbook pro and it seems insanely convenient from a music/video production standpoint
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby the4thImpulse » 20 Aug 2013 21:31

DerpyGrooves wrote:but yeah idk I'm looking at the macbook pro and it seems insanely convenient from a music/video production standpoint

They are convenient for it, no doubt about it, but what software do you use or wish to use. I think its more important to figure out that first and then get the operating system that will handle it. Also price may be a huge deciding factor, PCs are often as capable as Macs for just over half the price, if you are on a tight budget get better PC than a worse Mac (or buy used).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conduit » 20 Aug 2013 21:52

I use a '08 MacBook Pro, and it works great, although I sometimes max out the CPU. The newer models have improved a ton since then, so if you have the money I bet they would be great for both studio and live work. They're also super portable compared to desktops or similarly equipped pc laptops.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Aug 2013 22:38

Macs are mostly good because any program made for them is almost guaranteed to work pretty much flawlessly. Here, let's compose a list of advantages for Windows, Mac and Linux:

Gaming (The only games that are available for mac seem to be the really popular ones, like WoW. No incredible graphics cards on a mac though, and you can't get one for a mac)

Runs pretty much any program. It seems that the only programs that are OS-specific are the ones that come from the OS installation, and some of the video-picture-music programs developed by Apple.

Mac
Any program made for it will run pretty much flawlessly

Linux
Customizable as fuck if you know what you're doing

itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Acsii » 20 Aug 2013 23:31

Not trying to start a flame war... but my mac pro has a gtx 680...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Acsii » 21 Aug 2013 00:25

huh imo macs have gotten a lot better since the old days and I can do pretty much everything I could do on my PC better on my mac...
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Fimbulin » 21 Aug 2013 00:28

I've survived the ups and downs of Windows since NT and 95. I have almost no experience with a Mac or with Linux, but I'm happy with Windows. Some of the VSTs I use for music production only work with Windows computers, so I doubt I'll ever switch.

As far as how capable they are, that's limited more by your hardware than software. Macs can run near anything as far as being productive, but Windows can too. It all comes down to preference (software) or your pocketbook (hardware).
Analytical music theorist!
http://www.youtube.com/fimbulinmusic
http://www.soundcloud.com/fimbulin

FL Studio, Kontakt 5, orchestral mostly. I buy my gear.
I haunt skype so ask me questions there or viewtopic.php?f=32&t=8502
Fimbulin

Postby HMage » 21 Aug 2013 02:47

Macs are better for horsesocks.
Windows is better for saxophone.
Linux is better for oil change.

There's no native Fruity Loops on OSX.
There's no native Logic Pro on Windows.
There's no native VST on Linux.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby cyrricky » 21 Aug 2013 03:38

Having used a total of 7 Windows-based machines (three of which still work), 2 linux-based machines (one of which still works), and 4 Macs (they all work), I can safely say that my hierarchy goes Mac > Linux > Windows. Windows computers just make me so mad, they're really dumb.
Macs are great 'cause they just work. I can't even list the number of times I've had to wrestle with Windows to do anything from run a game, to dealing with its (really shitty) handling of MIDI. The only time I've punched a computer out of frustration is from a Windows machine.
Linux is great if you know what you're doing. Not for music though.

In short, Mac just works, Linux is pretty okay, Windows actually make me mad. I'm saving up for a Macbook Pro 15-inch to last me a few years. I don't think I'll be buying Windows computers after that.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Acsii » 21 Aug 2013 04:06

Cyrricky why not save up for the new mac pro... unless you want a laptop...
Acsii

Postby ExoBassTix » 21 Aug 2013 06:18

Acsii wrote:huh imo macs have gotten a lot better since the old days and I can do pretty much everything I could do on my PC better on my mac...

Lion started as a disappointment though.

I've been a MacFan ever since I turned 5 and got a pink Macintosh computer. I've had it for 3 years, after which I got a nice secondhand iMac. It really is heaven. Sadly its hard drive has been corrupted for, what, 3 years now? Something like that.

And even though I only use Windows now, simply because everything I do is easier on Windows (this is partially because I'm a pirate), I'll always prefer Mac over Windows. It's so great to work with, it handles everything so nicely, it's way more elegant, and it doesn't make annoying mistakes that don't make sense.

I can always get a MacBook Pro with Paralells or BootCamp :3
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Aug 2013 07:19

In my middle school, one of the computer labs was using hackintoshes dool boot. Twas glorious. You just booted up the computer (which was a Mac of some sort), and then chose the OS you wanted to load. Speaking of which, some Mac's are pretty neato considering that the computer parts are built into the monitors or something, so there isn't a big tower or anything.
Last edited by itroitnyah on 21 Aug 2013 08:38, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby Acsii » 21 Aug 2013 07:35

That's not hackintosh... that's just dual boot... Hackintosh is Mac OS X hacked to work on a non Apple computer.
Acsii

Postby itroitnyah » 21 Aug 2013 08:38

Oh, well, whatever. Then it was a Image
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby cyrricky » 21 Aug 2013 14:19

Acsii wrote:Cyrricky why not save up for the new mac pro... unless you want a laptop...

I prefer laptops for their portability. I travel a lot and it's too much work to lug a desktop, monitor, etc. up onto a stage.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Acsii » 21 Aug 2013 14:53

cyrricky wrote:
Acsii wrote:Cyrricky why not save up for the new mac pro... unless you want a laptop...

I prefer laptops for their portability. I travel a lot and it's too much work to lug a desktop, monitor, etc. up onto a stage.

Fair enough then.
I work mainly in studio and when i do live stuff I just transfer to my MBP or it's for bands so I'm in the control booth
Acsii

Postby JayB » 21 Aug 2013 15:10

I grew up with Windows (3.11, 98, XP) and made music with it. Then I got a MacBook when I started studying at SAE Institute in 2007 so I got introduced to Mac. Mac was all new and I didn't have any prejudices. Now that I got to know it quite well I have to say that I like the general work flow better than Windows. Especially window management in combination with the Magic Mouse is just amazing. Like, I have two screens for Logic. One for the arrangement window and one for the mixer. I swipe with two fingers across the mouse and I have my browser on one screen and Skype on the other. Another swipe in the opposite direction and I'm back into two-screen Logic. I tried to find a good way to do this on Windows, but I couldn't find one. The overall performance is slightly better than on Windows, but the difference is rather small. Less background activity (anti virus,...) pays out a bit.

But Mac has some disadvantages to Windows, especially when it comes to... say... "basic" operations. Finder (the file browser) loves to hide files that shouldn't be hidden. And you can't access them too easily. Also you have no uninstallation routine. Simply dragging an application to the bin won't delete any config or other temporary files, so you either have an uninstallation tool or you know where files are. And well, I don't need to talk about gaming, do I? I just love Direct3D and EAX sound. That's why I have dual boot.

Oh BTW: you're lucky if you have an Apple store in your area (I do). If you have a problem (I had) with your Mac, you just bring it there and usually you get help immediately, even if it's hardware based. On my old MacBook I got the keyboard changed. Took them a couple of hours and I had it back. Service you seldom have with windows PCs or laptops.
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Acsii » 21 Aug 2013 15:24

To uninstall open the terminal and type
sudo uninstall <files location and name>
Or
cd <files location>
sudo uninstall <file name>
Acsii

Postby JSynth » 21 Aug 2013 20:40

Macs are great in my mind. Sometimes, you can't get a certain program because it only comes for windows (FL Studio for example), but most of the time, they will program for both Mac and Windows.

Now I don't know of any major DAW's or VST's that come for Linux (other than LMMS). But you might be able to get some programs working with Wine. I would ask Cirbama about producing with Linux. My Linux usage mostly consists of surfing the web and playing minesweeper.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 21 Aug 2013 20:40

I use a PC with Windows 7 and it works just fine for me .-.

It's only ever shown any signs of strain with this project that has 97 tracks. Which leaves me plenty of leeway considering most of my projects of late don't regularly exceed 50 tracks. I may try a Mac with something like Ableton running on it some day though.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby JayB » 22 Aug 2013 02:52

Acsii wrote:To uninstall open the terminal and type
sudo uninstall <files location and name>
Or
cd <files location>
sudo uninstall <file name>

Good to know. O.o Why isn't there a user-friendly way?
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Acsii » 22 Aug 2013 02:56

You can download a program to do it... Not sure why there's no easy way to do it .-.
Acsii

Postby simonli2575 » 22 Aug 2013 04:01

I've never used a Mac or Linux computer before, so I'll say what I know.

Thoughts:
PC computers are customizable, you can simply open up the computer case and change or install new hardware, whereas Mac computers are not, if a component is broken, your Mac is fucked.
Mac computers are extremely overpriced.

Facts:
My friend used to have a PC, until he was forced by his dad to change to a Mac computer because it was too loud. He hates the fact that he has to use Parallel to use the Windows OS and that his Mac only has so much RAM (Merely 8GB).
I once said to him that I thought Mac had better software for things such as video editing, etc. He replied that everything Mac could do, Windows did better.
(By the way, he got an A for ICT this year)
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Next