Who wants an X/Y pad on every key on their midi keyboard?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Who wants an X/Y pad on every key on their midi keyboard?

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Aug 2013 10:01

Cause these guys have the product!

It actually looks really cool and judging by the demos would be very good for expressive live recordings/performances. Of course everything is midi/osc so your DAW can just as easily sequence it.

Check it out!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ins ... l-keyboard
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Who wants an X/Y pad on every key on their midi keyboard

Postby LFP » 09 Aug 2013 10:07

This is awesome, definitely something I'd like a lot, donated a few, can't afford the real thing yet but if its coming out this might be what I'm looking to invest into in the near future.
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Circuitfry » 09 Aug 2013 10:08

Aw man, the possibilities for live performances would be endless!
Viricide wrote:Thanks Obama. Or should I say Cirbama.

\
Circuitfry

Primary: LMMS
Cutie Mark: {;}

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 09 Aug 2013 10:13

I like it. Opens up a lot of interesting possibilities.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Aug 2013 10:22

Jeez, for the price, that's pretty phenomenal? Reminds me a lot of the continuum. I wonder how easy it is to install? Does it have to be on a keyboard, or can you just stick the sensors anywhere?
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Aug 2013 10:29

DerpyGrooves wrote:Jeez, for the price, that's pretty phenomenal? Reminds me a lot of the continuum. I wonder how easy it is to install? Does it have to be on a keyboard, or can you just stick the sensors anywhere?

By the looks of it, yes, you can stick the sensors anywhere, of course they obviously would be best on a keyboard due to the otherwise awkward shape.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Alycs » 09 Aug 2013 11:21

This looks like on of those things that could be really cool, but as a piano player, unless you are only holding down whole or half notes or really legato quarter notes, you couldn't do much in the line of modulation and still play decently. So much of piano playing is how you press the keys and control over finger placement that trying to add this variable could be very tricky.

None the less, it looks cool as hell and I want it.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby vladnuke » 09 Aug 2013 11:43

P cool
vladnuke

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Aug 2013 14:14

eery wrote:
Alycs wrote:This looks like on of those things that could be really cool, but as a piano player, unless you are only holding down whole or half notes or really legato quarter notes, you couldn't do much in the line of modulation and still play decently. So much of piano playing is how you press the keys and control over finger placement that trying to add this variable could be very tricky.

None the less, it looks cool as hell and I want it.

Im thinking this could be more intresting if you're playing synths, rather than traditional piano. Imagine being able to modulate a a padsound without having to take of one hand to modulate a knob for instance.

I think it would be really cool to like, be able to set up a modulated lowpass and have the LFO period change with the Y position. Active dubstep. Pretty swish.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby ph00tbag » 09 Aug 2013 17:53

I'm not so sure about how I feel about this. Often, finger placement is not a product of intended sound (although it does impact action, which can make velocity control difficult), but rather simply of being able to play every key comfortably. I can see a lot of applications, but traditional keyboardists will probably only find themselves not really utilizing the feature.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Magnitude Zero » 09 Aug 2013 18:25

ph00tbag wrote:I'm not so sure about how I feel about this. Often, finger placement is not a product of intended sound (although it does impact action, which can make velocity control difficult), but rather simply of being able to play every key comfortably. I can see a lot of applications, but traditional keyboardists will probably only find themselves not really utilizing the feature.

My first thoughts too. Would be tricky to get the hang of it but wow, this is a really cool concept.
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Alycs » 09 Aug 2013 20:02

Actually, I was experimenting on my piano a little today to see how this would work, and looked around on the site for how everything was layed out; and I mostly retract my earlier comment. I found that its still fairly easy to still get a good sound with a little practice and quickly move my fingers up and down the key - so that parts okay.

One the other hand - I did not like the part that tells the difference between playing with your finger tips and the pads. Trying to switch between the two quickly in the 128 to 175 range was really difficult while trying to maintain tone quality and tempo. The sound difference between the two and the way that they require you to play the note is too large to be comfortable.

Other than that, it looks very cool.
----

Actually, I just thought of a different use. I don't think you actually need a keyboard for it, so laying them out on, say, a desk, and you could use it as the equivalent of a second keyboard or secondary mixing pad. If you did that, you wouldn't have to worry about tone quality while playing, and it would still be kick-ass.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice