MIDI keyboard recomendations?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

MIDI keyboard recomendations?

Postby PX-n » 20 Mar 2013 18:12

What kind of MIDI keyboard should I buy? I'm honestly not entirely sure what to look for, or how costly they can be, I just thought I could get some advice from you guys while I investigate.
I'm looking for something nice, price-wise not too costly but not something too cheap.
https://www.youtube.com/user/dBlueGlitch?feature=mhee --Youtube (duh).
https://soundcloud.com/dbglitch/mimiga-t
Add me, gosh I'm lonely...
PX-n

Re: MIDI keyboard recomendations?

Postby the4thImpulse » 20 Mar 2013 18:14

PX-n wrote:I'm looking for something nice, price-wise not too costly but not something too cheap.

Well you should give us an exact price range. What is the most you are willing to spend, right now, on a midi keyboard?

Also do you care for knobs/faders/buttons/beat pads or other midi controls?
Midi in/out (old fashion 5 pic kind) or just usb?
Last edited by the4thImpulse on 20 Mar 2013 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Indigo Spectrum » 20 Mar 2013 18:16

Well I've heard good things about the M-Audio Oxygen: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Oxygen-49 ... B0031SCV46
It's not that expensive and it also has 26, 61, and 88 key versions as well.

The Akai LPK25 is good if you're just looking for some keys and nothing else, it's really cheap and gets the job done, as long as you don't need knobs or sliders: http://www.amazon.com/Akai-Pro-LPK25-Pe ... rds=lpk+25
Tube of You
Cloud of Sound

DAW: Ableton Live

My avatar was made by Jim-E3
Indigo Spectrum

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Mar 2013 18:23

the MPKmini looks pretty good, but it's only 25 keys. Which is ok, depending on how many keys you really want. Other than that, there's the Avid M-Audio Keystudio thing with 49 keys. Either are good, and lower than $150. You'll have to be more specific about your budget and tell us what you're going to do with the keyboard if you want more help than this.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 20 Mar 2013 20:32

I just have an M-Audio Keystudio, 4 octave. Not too fancy, but it works well enough, reasonably cheap, comes with a terriibad usb audio interface and pro tools LE (the most fiddly damn thing ever).
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby vladnuke » 21 Mar 2013 15:12

I have a big m-audio 5 octave keyboard. I also have a Akai MPK mini. Even tho the m-audio keys are much better, I find myself using the mini, just cuz i can fit it in my laptop bag. The mini also has pads and knobs, albeit lamer pads and knobs. The pads are pretty shit on the mini (unresponsive, spotty), but the knobs are alright. The keys are good too, but two octaves is just a little too limiting, even with an octave switcher. All depends on where you need it to go and what you need it to do.
vladnuke

Postby Aurum Noble » 28 Mar 2013 09:09

Roland's A-PRO series controller keyboards are good, but if you're looking for something that's built like a tank, I highly recommend looking for an A-70 or A-90 second-hand, depending on how many keys you want, although if you've got no MIDI interface, and you want to use it directly through USB, you'd need a MIDI to USB interface, but do be wary of cheap ones as they wouldn't work well with older controllers (the A-70 and A-90 were built from 1996 to the early 2000s).

I've learnt the hard way after I tried to plug my D-50 into my Mac using one of those cheap pound/dollar shop-style interfaces; I replaced it with a Roland UM-1, and it worked like a charm.

Additionally, M-Audio do seem to do a lot of good controller keyboards, although if you want weighted or semi-weighted keys, you should avoid the KeyRigs, but go one step higher towards the KeyStations or Oxygens. Also, Novation and Akai are good brands for controllers, especially if you're after programmable sliders, knobs and buttons.
Aurum Noble

Primary: Ableton Live
Cutie Mark: Synths!

Postby Applejinx » 28 Mar 2013 09:25

I'm looking at the Akai MPK49 at the moment. Thing is, it looks like it would replace two midi thingys—the MPD18 pad which now I use mostly for the aftertouch on wub things as I got an e-drum-kit, and the Korg Nanokontrol for the sliders and knobs. I'm finding you can do a heck of a lot with sliders and knobs. I assign them to stuff on the selected channel and then all I have to do is label them and I'm good to go without looking at a screen. Mixing is a lot more fun moving sliders and knobs.
Applejinx

Postby S.P.P » 30 Mar 2013 05:20

I like the MicroKorg, sweet-ass classic bit of kit. It's actually a pretty cool synth by itself but it'll double up for all your vocoding and MIDI-controlling needs. I use it live in my band rigged up with a Novation Launchoad and Korg KP3. Anyway, you can pick up a MicroKorg for about £300 new or for something cheaper I'd go with a Roland A300Pro for about £190.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice