Synths and Synths and Synths

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: Synths and Synths and Synths

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Feb 2013 21:48

nOk wrote:As soon as I can, I'm going to buy either a Korg MS2000b or the MicroKorg. I'm actually wanting the MS more, even though they essentially sound the same. I'll probably end up getting the micro though because money and stuff. I'm also looking into getting a MiniNova, as an alternative. I was able to mess with the Supernova II and really REALLY had fun with it, and I'd love to have something similar!

Get the MS2000, even though they have the same engines you will have far more control over the synth with all the dedicated knobs on the MS2000. Microkorg is more of a preset synth with some ability to tweak things, its really difficult to dive in and make totally new and satisfying sounds with its very limited interface. MS2000 also has a fun sequencer built in, its a bit tricky to figure out at first but give it time and it wil give you some cool results.

I own the MS2000b and I love it, I have used the microkorg quite a bit and its a HUGE step down from what you could have. Its worth the extra money, don't waste time with the microkorg (unless you just want presets).
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby HMage » 19 Feb 2013 03:10

ChocolateChicken wrote:I looked at the screenshot of Sylenth and I didn't notice anything particularly special about it. It is like FL Studio's Poizone in pretty much every way. By the way, Madeon himself said that he uses Poizone quite a bit. So anyway, with Sylenth you have two oscillators and the osc balance parameter, one filter (?), and not many modulation options. It looks like there is a pretty good effects section though, so that's cool. But why is it so utilized if it's so simple? Also, why does everyone use it for plucks?

The answer is simple -- it sounds good. I use it for bass, pads, plucks, leads, wubs, you name it.

Number of bells and whistles means nothing if the synth sounds crap (cough massive cough).

There's a reason sylenth is rated way higher than both massive and FM8 on KVR ratings.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby TheMalenEst » 19 Feb 2013 06:11

sylenth1 is my go-to synth.

Moog Little Phatty Stage II

i want it so bad :P
My Soundcloud for my Wip's and Previews, but also full songs.
My YouTube Come by and listen to my music :3 Maybe you find something you like.
Deviantart Abstract Art

shingeki no kyojin is best anime/manga
TheMalenEst

Primary: FL Studio 10, Logic
Cutie Mark: AnjunaLogo

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 19 Feb 2013 06:36

ChocolateChicken wrote:. . . So anyway, with Sylenth you have two oscillators . . .

Actually there are 4 oscillators. The other two you can get to by clicking "part B".
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Symphon » 19 Feb 2013 08:50

I've actually been exploring to expand my VST library by just a bit, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on Zebra and zeta2. I've heard of both, but I'm not really sure the positives and negatives of either. Anyone able to fill me in?
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby nOk » 19 Feb 2013 11:59

I have z3ta+2. It's ok, and I'm sure that it would be better suited for someone who knew what they were doing. For some reason it confuses me. I use massive for some sounds, and I really like Sytrus. I honestly don't have a "go to" synth. :/
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Postby Alycs » 19 Feb 2013 12:08

I recently found two pretty amazing free synths called AM Wavedraw and Analog Warfare.

Wavedraw is a two-wave subtractive AM synth that lets you free-hand draw the waveforms and sequencers. I've been playing with it for a while and it can produce some seriously awesome sounds and sequences.

Analog Warfare is a pretty basic synth, but it has really good routing and everything is nice and clean looking and easily accessible and changable (it sounds good, too; and not just for a freeware)

Seeing as they are both completely free, and sound good to boot, I don't see why not to get them.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Sonarch » 19 Feb 2013 15:26

I've got Massive, and i'd love to get some more stuff, but I can't justify spending the money if I haven't even done anything with what I have.

So I will keep learning it.

And get free stuff like that ^

thanks, by the way.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Navron » 19 Feb 2013 17:46

nOk wrote:I just made a thread on this very topic without realizing you beat me to it. -_-

No harm, no foul. Your thread was merged into this one, but I deleted the replies not related to the topic.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby HMage » 19 Feb 2013 18:06

TunerSymphon wrote:I've actually been exploring to expand my VST library by just a bit, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on Zebra and zeta2. I've heard of both, but I'm not really sure the positives and negatives of either. Anyone able to fill me in?

I have both. If you're choosing between zeta and zebra, choose zebra. I haven't loaded zeta for a looong while -- zebra replaced it completely, has a lot more versatility, great sound quality and big community. Urs (the developer) actively talks on kvr forums about anything, including future plans. And throwing at him ideas can result in adding these features to zebra.

It's friendly enough if you want to use as a simple VA synth, it won't get in your way. But if you want to get an idea of the versatility of this synth, go watch tutorials on developer's channel -- http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8B3F7A60F7CF76BA

Zebra is what massive is trying to be but is not quite there.
HMage

Postby Symphon » 19 Feb 2013 18:43

HMage wrote:
TunerSymphon wrote:I've actually been exploring to expand my VST library by just a bit, and I was wondering if anyone here has any opinions on Zebra and zeta2. I've heard of both, but I'm not really sure the positives and negatives of either. Anyone able to fill me in?

I have both. If you're choosing between zeta and zebra, choose zebra. I haven't loaded zeta for a looong while -- zebra replaced it completely, has a lot more versatility, great sound quality and big community. Urs (the developer) actively talks on kvr forums about anything, including future plans. And throwing at him ideas can result in adding these features to zebra.

It's friendly enough if you want to use as a simple VA synth, it won't get in your way. But if you want to get an idea of the versatility of this synth, go watch tutorials on developer's channel -- http://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8B3F7A60F7CF76BA

Zebra is what massive is trying to be but is not quite there.

Thanks for the comments. From the people I've asked, it seems like I'm going to get Zebra.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby HMage » 19 Feb 2013 18:47

TunerSymphon wrote:Thanks for the comments. From the people I've asked, it seems like I'm going to get Zebra.

Zebra has a demo, try it.
HMage

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 19 Feb 2013 21:08

Small list away.

Zebra is amazing. I haven't used the full version yet, only the demo and Zebralette. But from what I've seen it has an amazing amount of possibilities. I only wish it would magically float into my VST library, but I know it won't. It's on my "Synths to buy" list, that's for sure.

Awhile back I used Sylenth1, and from what I've tapped into, it's a fantastic synth. For a classic analog sound, it can't be beat. The lack of Oscillators and setting really allow exploration and experimentation. A Synth to check out. As it's not amazing to everyone, just like every synth.

Sytrus is an interesting little synth. It has many possibilities, especially with it's built in addictive engine. But FM8 still would win out for me. It's worth it if you get it with the top edition of FL, as with all the other plugins that come with it, Sytrus becomes more of a deal than if you buy it seperatly.

Oatmeal is still my favorite free synth, next to Zebralette and Crystal. It has that metallic sound which, if your looking for that kind of sound, is perfect. Plus, with the custom interfaces that have been made for it, it can be morphed into a pretty synth along with an effective one.

Toxic Biohazard is a different synth, at least compared to others I've used. It seems to be a combination of Subtractive and FM, which can lead to interesting results. If you have FL and this plugin, don't disregard it. It has some possibilities if you can work with it, just like Sytrus.

Finally Massive, which once again I used when I first got into music. It seems quite overrated however. It's a shining example of a Wavetable Synth, but it lost it's position with the new synths that have come to shine, like Zebra. It's not just a Dubstep Synth and I'm not saying it's bad. Some amazing results can be created with it, just like a good amount of synths, but it's not the Ultimate Synth. It never was, and unless NI can perform a miracle, it never will. No one has said that here, but I hear it enough outside of MLR that I figured I would rant about it.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby froggy » 20 Feb 2013 21:02

Cannot get enough softsynths, it's a problem because I spend a lot more time sound designing than I do actually making songs. I'm basically forcing myself not to make any more synth purchases until I get something done :lol:. I really want to make a gigantic preset pack and put it up here at some point.

I suppose I'll contribute and do some quick two sentence reviews:

Massive - The obvious go to for bass music, and rightfully so given its amazing modulation and effects section. Filters are kinda shit though, so it doesn't handle VA duties as well as Sylenth or Zebra does. Not to say that it's only for wubwubshit, ofc.

FM8 - Not quite as familiar with this one as I am with the others, but it's very nice in my experience even for non-FM duties (surprisingly good supersaws, for example). The major downside is that FM has a steep learning curve, which can make this one difficult to get into if you don't make an active effort to learn.

Absynth - I have hardly touched this thing at all as it's very weird, though it's one of many many things that came with Komplete so I'm not complaining. As far as I can tell it would be great for pads and atmospheres, and it's got an included effects version so it could also be useful as a "fuck shit up" machine.

Sylenth1 - The most recent purchase I've made, after resisting for years due to the developer being a hermit. Cannot believe how good this things sounds, almost completely makes up for the lacking modulation section and weird filter routing (which I suppose is part of the reason why CPU usage is so low).

U-he Zebra - Softsynth perfection, flexible as hell and sounds amazing to boot. Not quite as fast to get usable results as Sylenth in my experience though, and it takes a bit of tweaking to get "that" sound. On another note, I think that this skin may be relevant

Camel Alchemy - Sample mangling monster, this thing will take whatever you throw in and spit out something completely different if you so desire. Also capable of standard VA work, though it'd be a waste to use it just for that. Also, it includes all of the effects from CamelPhat and CamelSpace, so needless to say it's quite good in that department.

Z3ta+ 2 - Picked this one up for super cheap during a Christmas sale, and goddamn what a value that was. Scrolling through the preset library is an instant indication that this is basically made for EDM, through and through.

Oh also freeware

Synth1 - The definitive freeware synth.

DUNE-BE - A completely free version of DUNE, a synth that people often compare to Sylenth for its huge sound. The only missing features are the effects section and 64 bit support, making this a must-have.

Tyrell-N6 - A freebee from the creator of Zebra, sounds amazing but hogs CPU like nothing else. Really requires the Tyrell 1978 skin to look its best.
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby JayB » 26 Feb 2013 06:09

I had synths before it was cool. XD

No, seriously. Since I started as a life musician at the end of the 90s I have a couple of synths from that time. Digital ROM-based synths and also virtual analog ones. What I love about them is that they just sound different than current soft synths. Because their memory was very limited and the D/A converters weren't always of highest quality. And that makes them sound characteristic. And since I program all of these synths myself they don't necessarily sound 90s.

For example I have the Korg X5D, a digital synthvfrom 1995, very basic capabilities but an extended sound engine from the famous Korg M1. This thing can create pad sounds that cause brain freeze, they're that cold. Having this in the background of a trance breakdown makes fantastic soundscapes.:)
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby the4thImpulse » 28 Feb 2013 22:14

JayBrony wrote:I had synths before it was cool. XD

No, seriously. Since I started as a life musician at the end of the 90s I have a couple of synths from that time. Digital ROM-based synths and also virtual analog ones. What I love about them is that they just sound different than current soft synths. Because their memory was very limited and the D/A converters weren't always of highest quality. And that makes them sound characteristic. And since I program all of these synths myself they don't necessarily sound 90s.

For example I have the Korg X5D, a digital synthvfrom 1995, very basic capabilities but an extended sound engine from the famous Korg M1. This thing can create pad sounds that cause brain freeze, they're that cold. Having this in the background of a trance breakdown makes fantastic soundscapes.:)

VSTs just don't compare to that lo-fi sound from the early synths, you just can't replicate poor A/D converters and sample rates in that same way. I have thought about getting one of those really cheap casio's on the used market for its horrendously sampled piano/organ patches, might make a cool effect in the right kind of song.
the4thImpulse

Postby Alycs » 01 Mar 2013 07:05

I had a Casio keyboard before I started making electronic music, and I can vouch that some of its sound effects are actually kinda nice (its piano is atrocious though, but as you said, could be a nice effect). I personally like the two synth presets it came with.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby the4thImpulse » 02 Mar 2013 17:32

MS-20, I can't wait to get the reissue version coming out soon.

the4thImpulse

Postby Sonarch » 03 Mar 2013 14:05

So, as I learn the ins and outs of Massive, what are a few things to avoid doing when it comes to creating sounds?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby Nine Volt » 03 Mar 2013 14:06

There's not really much you should avoid, anything can be a good sound if used right. It really depends on what kind of music you want to make if there's even anything you should avoid in the first place.
Nine Volt

Postby the4thImpulse » 03 Mar 2013 15:29

Sonarch wrote:So, as I learn the ins and outs of Massive, what are a few things to avoid doing when it comes to creating sounds?

Thinking you need to have crazy/complex patches to make new sounds. Start with one oscillator, one filter, one envelope and the mod wheel. A lot can be done with such few tools, it will help spark your creativity when you limit yourself in such a way.
the4thImpulse

Postby ChocolateChicken » 14 Mar 2013 05:12

Does anybody here know anything about Omnisphere? From what I've gathered, it's one of the most powerful and versatile soft synths available. O.o
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby HMage » 14 Mar 2013 10:11

ChocolateChicken wrote:Does anybody here know anything about Omnisphere? From what I've gathered, it's one of the most powerful and versatile soft synths available. O.o

It's not a synth, it's a ROMpler. Just like Nexus, but better.
HMage

Postby froggy » 15 Mar 2013 16:42

HMage wrote:
ChocolateChicken wrote:Does anybody here know anything about Omnisphere? From what I've gathered, it's one of the most powerful and versatile soft synths available. O.o

It's not a synth, it's a ROMpler. Just like Nexus, but better.

Incorrect, actually. It's got full synthesis capabilities and is apparently pretty good as a VA (wouldn't be able to attest as I don't own it). The synthesis engine is basically just a supplement to the 50gb of samples.
ponies are homo
froggy

Postby JacksonMiller » 15 Mar 2013 21:07

Not really synth realted but reason 7 was announced a couple of days ago:
I barely go on this website nowadays...

Soundcloud
ToneDen
Twitter
Facebook

JacksonMiller

Primary: FL Studio 11 (formerly Reason)