Synths and Synths and Synths

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Synths and Synths and Synths

Postby the4thImpulse » 13 Feb 2013 21:30

There are a large number of electronic musicians here so we should have a place to talk about synths and synth stuff!

Hardware or software, it doesn't matter. Post pictures of synths you have or synths you want, post news about upcoming releases or videos showing off synths that you think are cool. Ask questions, answer questions. Whatever, as long as its about synths.

To start us off have a cool video.

SYNTHS!
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Synths and Synths and Synths

Postby topitmunkeydog » 13 Feb 2013 21:38

Well I don't really know much about synths but some person who ownes a vintage synth store is going to start renting our apartment (the second part of a duplex) so maybe tht means discounts and stuff! I tested some am I like the Moog Phatty and some thingy made by Korg
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Sonarch » 13 Feb 2013 22:09

This'll be fun once I get the basics of Massive down.
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Primary: FL Studio

Postby Alycs » 14 Feb 2013 07:54

I'm cheap; the only two synths I use with any consistency are 3xOsc and ZynAddSubFx, though I think my dad might have some analog synths in the basement (he went to college originally as a sound technician before they had computers... so...)
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby ChocolateChicken » 14 Feb 2013 22:42

I think Massive is a completely overrated synth. People act like it's absolutely necessary and can make ANYTHING, and it bothers me because that is not the case. I'm not saying Massive is useless; it is a very useful synth. I'm just saying that people give it too much credit. Most people get it because they want to sound like Skrallecs anyway. The only things about Massive that really make it unique are the Performer, some of the waveforms, and the Comb Filter (holy shit I love the comb filter <3 ). Pretty much everything else can be found in other synths or external effects.

The best soft synth that I've used would have to be Sytrus: additive, subtractive, waveshaping, and FM synthesis all in one powerful machine, and each oscillator has it's own amp envelope. I wish I still had a PC just so I can use Sytrus. :'(

Twin 2 is probably one of the best subtractive synths I've ever used, if not THE best. It has ELEVEN FILTER TYPES and nearly limitless modulation options. Plus the interface is just so pretty and cool.

For you Sylenth users out there, how is that synth?

Also, does anybody know any good hardware or analog synthesizers that are worth looking into? Where are you, d.notive?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Motivfs » 14 Feb 2013 23:43

I actually use Sylenth alot, it's so simple to use in my opinion, but it's so good! I always use it for the pads, basses, plucks and stabs in my songs, it's my go-to Synth.
Motivfs

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 15 Feb 2013 00:07

I love playing with physical synths. They're just so much more satisfying for me ;w; I don't own one yet, but I've had a few opportunities to play with em before
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 15 Feb 2013 06:08

ChocolateChicken wrote:I think Massive is a completely overrated synth. People act like it's absolutely necessary and can make ANYTHING, and it bothers me because that is not the case. I'm not saying Massive is useless; it is a very useful synth. I'm just saying that people give it too much credit. Most people get it because they want to sound like Skrallecs anyway. The only things about Massive that really make it unique are the Performer, some of the waveforms, and the Comb Filter (holy shit I love the comb filter <3 ). Pretty much everything else can be found in other synths or external effects.

The best soft synth that I've used would have to be Sytrus: additive, subtractive, waveshaping, and FM synthesis all in one powerful machine, and each oscillator has it's own amp envelope. I wish I still had a PC just so I can use Sytrus. :'(

Twin 2 is probably one of the best subtractive synths I've ever used, if not THE best. It has ELEVEN FILTER TYPES and nearly limitless modulation options. Plus the interface is just so pretty and cool.

For you Sylenth users out there, how is that synth?

Also, does anybody know any good hardware or analog synthesizers that are worth looking into? Where are you, d.notive?

Don't talk about my baby Massive like that! ;)

Here's a nice sample of what Sylenth is capable of: https://go.madmimi.com/redirects/1360847677-ab4f488540f77b70e36b0433fa0c2e62-6b00ed6?pa=354789701835440200
You can give Sylenth a test drive from their demo here: http://www.lennardigital.com/modules/downloads/

As for hardware, I'd say so long as it's at a decent price it's worth messing around with, but's that's just me. You can do some research for what you want exactly here: http://www.vintagesynth.com/
They have a tab called "Synthfinder" up near the top of the page which can get you started. Realistically pretty much you are at the mercy of the pawn shop gods with what you will actually find unless you are looking to buy a hardware synth brand new.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby Symphon » 15 Feb 2013 08:09

I've tried most of the synths mentioned so far (Sylenth1 extensively, and I absolutely love it), but my favorite synth is actually one no one seems to credit: Toxic Biohazard. It's so simple yet so powerful, especially with its ability for modulations. I could spend five seconds and get a sweet lead or spend a bit more time for thick pads, and for pads, this thing is ~fantabulous~ (with the whole gay hand and hip swing going with it.) No, seriously, I love TB.

No.

You don't understand.

I.

Fucking.

Love.

Toxic.
DAW: FL Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
Main VSTs: Harmor, Toxic Biohazard, FM8, Sylenth1, Nexus, Sytrus.
Main genres: Trance, Electro
https://soundcloud.com/choonsofficial/the-prodigy-voodoo-people
Symphon

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Trance

Postby K3WRO » 15 Feb 2013 09:09

TunerSymphon wrote:I've tried most of the synths mentioned so far (Sylenth1 extensively, and I absolutely love it), but my favorite synth is actually one no one seems to credit: Toxic Biohazard. It's so simple yet so powerful, especially with its ability for modulations. I could spend five seconds and get a sweet lead or spend a bit more time for thick pads, and for pads, this thing is ~fantabulous~ (with the whole gay hand and hip swing going with it.) No, seriously, I love TB.

No.

You don't understand.

I.

Fucking.

Love.

Toxic.

Agreed, Toxic Biohazard is the best FM synthesizer ever made (Maybe sytrus if the interface isn't too confusing) But the sounds are amazing as hell, I wish I can afford it, I spent hours on that thing

Harmor is great. It's just like Harmless except it has built in filters and FM channels, along with the image synthesizer, which is fun, I love how cat pictures actually make "meaw" sounds, except they are more like creepy, weeping cries of lost souls rather than cute kitties
It's good for powerful, layerd pads and basses without layering channels at all

Vanguard is good, I just see it as an alternative to 3xosc, I use it to make Hardcore leads and all that

I'm still thinking of getting sylenth, My Birthday is around the corner
Soundcloud : http://www.soundcloud.com/megapie-1
Youtube : http://www.youtube.com/user/antigravtoast2/featured

-I'm not Dead, I just don't make small horse music anymore-
K3WRO

Primary: Reason
Cutie Mark: Your Face

Postby Freewave » 15 Feb 2013 09:20

I have two lists for Synths whihc might be helpfu.

This one features on key older synths (might be great to find VST emulators to reproduce classic sounds)
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScient ... nstruments

Also have this list of the big VST Synths out there including a few youtubes of each in use and what each does. Hopefully helpful. http://rateyourmusic.com/list/TheScient ... vst_synths
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Stakeout Punch » 15 Feb 2013 17:59

Alycs wrote:I'm cheap; the only two synths I use with any consistency are 3xOsc and ZynAddSubFx, though I think my dad might have some analog synths in the basement (he went to college originally as a sound technician before they had computers... so...)

omgomgomgomgomgomg

I'm not the only one!
I rarely visit anymore. Also known as ZeoHeart and Xeno.
https://soundcloud.com/stakeoutpunch/sets/adios-ep
Stakeout Punch

Primary: FL 12 XXL
Cutie Mark: Banhammer

Postby HMage » 16 Feb 2013 08:23

Sylenth <3

It's my go-to synth. I'm working on a soundbank for it right now.

Other than sylenth, I go to these things if I can't do something in sylenth (which is rare):
Zebra
Diva
Strobe
MicroTonic
EKS Pro
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby the4thImpulse » 16 Feb 2013 14:25

HMage wrote:It's my go-to synth.

On the topic of go to synths mine would be z3ta+2.
It's nice when you use the same synth for most sounds and really get to understand it and exploit its quirks. I also use an MS2000 for leads and background layers, but I don't have enough hardware synths to say its my go to synth.
the4thImpulse

Postby bartekko » 16 Feb 2013 14:46

the4thImpulse wrote:
HMage wrote:On the topic of go to synths mine would be z3ta+2.

It's great for everything except drums because the envelopes kind of suck.
I love FM8.
And Absynth.
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Applejinx » 16 Feb 2013 16:41

I love FM8, and I love my xoxbox run into crazy glitchy boutique fuzzboxes, especially Devi Ever Truly Beautiful Disaster.

I made a whole setup for controlling Massive off the knobs of a Nord Lead 2x, but just don't love the sound of Massive enough. (or the Nord)

FM8 for FM synth stuff, and analog synths and the Farfisa for everything else :) oh and my Alpha Juno-1...

A lot of this stuff is not as expensive as like a Triton or something, the big virtual analog or ROMpler ones...

(And I do have a TX7 (keyboardless DX7) and it is not better than FM8, plus it's infinitely harder to program so screw it- yes it has a sound of its own but that sound is not better than FM8 in the way that an analog synth is better than Massive)
Applejinx

Postby Mondogreen » 18 Feb 2013 09:26

....I only use Massive. I have Sugar Bytes Cyclop too, but I haven't had the ambition to sit down with it yet.
New track in the works!!

DAW: Sony Acid Pro 6
VSTi: NI Massive 1.3
Plugins: Not many

You don't need a cabinet full of cleaners to make a sick track

https://soundcloud.com/djmon/2-pac-changes-mondogreens-work
Mondogreen

Postby bartekko » 18 Feb 2013 09:54

Yes/No/Maybe
bartekko

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Feb 2013 12:33

bartekko wrote:Yes/No/Maybe

As I have said in a couple other threads I will be picking one up this summer if everything goes to plan work wise. The price couldn't be any better too.
the4thImpulse

Postby bartekko » 18 Feb 2013 14:00

the4thImpulse wrote:As I have said in a couple other threads I will be picking one up this summer if everything goes to plan work wise. The price couldn't be any better too.

I stumbled upon this when looking for alternatives in the arturia minibrute price range. I only worry about the size, as as a pianist i am used to full sized keys.
bartekko

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Feb 2013 14:58

bartekko wrote:
the4thImpulse wrote:As I have said in a couple other threads I will be picking one up this summer if everything goes to plan work wise. The price couldn't be any better too.

I stumbled upon this when looking for alternatives in the arturia minibrute price range. I only worry about the size, as as a pianist i am used to full sized keys.

I am disappointed too that they made it a mini keyboard rather a full sized like the original MS-20. You could always use a 'master' keyboard with it and any other synths you have/ will get. Compared to the minibrute I would pick the MS-20 for its patching fun and dem filters.

I kinda want to get two of em and patch them together.
the4thImpulse

Postby ChocolateChicken » 18 Feb 2013 21:24

I looked at the screenshot of Sylenth and I didn't notice anything particularly special about it. It is like FL Studio's Poizone in pretty much every way. By the way, Madeon himself said that he uses Poizone quite a bit. So anyway, with Sylenth you have two oscillators and the osc balance parameter, one filter (?), and not many modulation options. It looks like there is a pretty good effects section though, so that's cool. But why is it so utilized if it's so simple? Also, why does everyone use it for plucks?

Also, I recently was introduced to a synth that a Guitar Center employee described to me as "worth the every dollar."

Who knows anything about Omnisphere by Spectrasonics?
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Friv » 18 Feb 2013 21:26

ChocolateChicken wrote:I looked at the screenshot of Sylenth and I didn't notice anything particularly special about it. It is like FL Studio's Poizone in pretty much every way. By the way, Madeon himself said that he uses Poizone quite a bit. So anyway, with Sylenth you have two oscillators and the osc balance parameter, one filter (?), and not many modulation options. It looks like there is a pretty good effects section though, so that's cool. But why is it so utilized if it's so simple? Also, why does everyone use it for plucks?

Also, I recently was introduced to a synth that a Guitar Center employee described to me as "worth the every dollar."

Who knows anything about Omnisphere by Spectrasonics?

It's actually got 4 oscillators and 2 filters (part b) and the reason everyone uses it is because it's a very good sounding substitution for an actual hardware analog synth
Well I'm pretty much done with this site (it wasn't about the April Fool's joke I actually loved that). If for some reason somebody wants to contact me or something (not like any of you even care lol):
email: [email protected]
Friv

Re: The Great and Powerful Synth Thread!

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Feb 2013 21:28

My thread is open for any synth, software or hardware, as few people here have experience with hardware synths. If you talk about hardware synths there, I will answer.
the4thImpulse

Postby nOk » 18 Feb 2013 21:34

I just made a thread on this very topic without realizing you beat me to it. -_-

Ah well. I've owned 2 hardware synths. I started out with a Roland D-5, but I got rid of it because I was young and stupid and didn't know what any of the buttons were. It was essentially a patch synth though. There was a way you could modify the sound on it but only if you got the separate module for doing so.

Now I use an M-Audio Venom. The fact that you need software to edit most of the sounds is annoying, but the synth itself sounds great! It's not really the kind of thing you can mess around with though.

As soon as I can, I'm going to buy either a Korg MS2000b or the MicroKorg. I'm actually wanting the MS more, even though they essentially sound the same. I'll probably end up getting the micro though because money and stuff. I'm also looking into getting a MiniNova, as an alternative. I was able to mess with the Supernova II and really REALLY had fun with it, and I'd love to have something similar!
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Next

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice