How would you set up a studio?

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

How would you set up a studio?

Postby Spactrum » 09 Feb 2013 10:43

Thing is: I moved into a House last year and we are starting to renovate the basement
My parents allow me to use it as my own studio instead of using my small room.
Here are the measurements:

It's gonna be "liveable" this summer when nothing goes wrong.

I have to fit a Desk with my Computer, my D-Piano, Speakers, a 40 inch TV and another Desk for my controllers in there as good as possible.

Do you have some ideas?
Have you been in a similar situation?

thanks.
DAW: Fl Studio 10, Ableton Live 8
VSTs: Nexus²(fuck you Sytrus), GuitarRig 5, Vocaloid (yes, Vocaloid is a VST too)

I'm good at 3D Animations too
I can make you a Visualiser

https://soundcloud.com/spactrum/love-is-in-bloom-house-remix
Spactrum

Re: How would you set up a studio?

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Feb 2013 12:19

Or you could flip the desks around to the other side of the room. But place the desk with your speakers facing the long way of the room (it'll help with acoustics) and stuff.

Also keep the desk with the speakers in the center of the wall it's against or close to. That will help with acoustics as well
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Spactrum » 09 Feb 2013 15:36

thanks for your help

you gave me just the idea to place the TV in front of the Window, that will make things easier.
The scale of your version seems a bit small, the room is very large and I plan on placing the two desks together with the speakers facing the long way and putting my Piano where the second desk would be.

and I will spend some money on the room's acoustics as well
VSTs: Nexus²(fuck you Sytrus), GuitarRig 5, Vocaloid (yes, Vocaloid is a VST too)

Spactrum

Postby vladnuke » 09 Feb 2013 15:48

Tv in front of window.

Dear lord no plz don't do that.
vladnuke

Postby Spactrum » 09 Feb 2013 15:59

vladnuke wrote:Tv in front of window.

Dear lord no plz don't do that.

It's the basement, there's no direct light coming through it and besides, I will probably use it mostly when it's dark

Spactrum

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Feb 2013 16:30

Spactrum wrote:The scale of your version seems a bit small, the room is very large and I plan on placing the two desks together with the speakers facing the long way and putting my Piano where the second desk would be.
Make an L-shape with the two desks, then you can put your other controllers and keyboards or whatever on the other desk and they'll be just right next to you. It'll make it quite a bit easier to use then a track what you're doing on the computer at the same time.

Spactrum wrote:and I will spend some money on the room's acoustics as well
Well that changes the whole equation. Hm, find a good mode calculator and put acoustic panels and stuff where it says to. Don't forget the bass trap the corners. Hm... It'd be good to know how tall the room is as well. Here's a good calculator.. But when you calculate your room's mode, it pops up with a bunch of seemingly nonsense, and I can't comprehend it, lol. You could most likely talk to 4thImpulse about it, and he'd be able to easily tell you where to place the panels. But some basics are that you should place the traps in the corners, and the most important place to put panels is on both sides of you. And one on the ceiling, and then some behind your computer and desk as well. And stuff. Yeah, talk to 4thImpulse about it all, he'll help you
itroitnyah

Postby Spactrum » 09 Feb 2013 16:47

the calculator shows that everything is good, th graph is like the good expample

the room is around 2m high

Spactrum

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Feb 2013 17:11

Alright, so you won't really need a whole lot of paneling, it sounds like. Awesome. Now you just need to find out where to place the paneling
itroitnyah

Postby Spactrum » 09 Feb 2013 18:19

I plan on covering the ceiling and placing some strips at the corners

the stuff for the ceiling will cost about 100 € and with the corners it will be 150 € maximum

Spactrum

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Feb 2013 19:54

Spactrum wrote:I plan on covering the ceiling and placing some strips at the corners
Oh nein, you'd want to get the walls covered more than the ceiling. Covering the ceiling is to get rid of flutter echoes, and you would still get echos in your room. You want to put some panels on the ceiling, but the ceiling isn't that much of a worry. It's the walls next to you that are the most important, then in back of you and then behind the desk. And you need to get some bass panels in the corners because that's where the bass collects, so it'll be effective to get the corners done pretty well with bass traps (although you don't need to cover the corners completely, mostly put some panels at the corners where the wall meets wall meets ceiling/floor, those are the most important corners. You don't need to panel the entire room to kill it, 4thImpulse has just 64 square feet of paneling (which he made himself, it's not that hard to make them yourself, you'll also save a good amount of money), and that's enough to kill his room. You only really need enough to kill your room, so all you need to do is find out where your reflection points in the room are and put panels at those points, and you'll kill your room. Your room has a total of 820.42 square feet of wall space, so I'm not sure how much paneling you'll need since you can't really tell how much you need based on the total wall space, but it shouldn't really cost you more than 150 € if you do make your own panels. If you buy premade panels, it would cost you closer to 440 € to treat your room.
itroitnyah

Postby Mundius » 09 Feb 2013 21:04

Your room is huge.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby itroitnyah » 09 Feb 2013 21:48

13.12 x 16.4 x 6.56 is a pretty big room, I guess. My room is about that size (but it's a fucked up rectangle shape, not at all square. Has some parts of the room sticking out for whatever reason [for the door and laundry chute]). And to make it worse, my room also happens to have a ledge about half way up the wall pretty much half way around the room.
itroitnyah

Postby Spactrum » 10 Feb 2013 04:10

I see,

I'm gonna put my speakers down there and blast the walls down :D to see how it sounds

Spactrum

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice