Looking at getting a microphone

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Looking at getting a microphone

Postby Lethaargic » 09 Aug 2011 00:04

I want to pick up a reasonably priced mic. If I was just planning on using it for Skype or whatever I wouldn't worry but since I plan on also using it to record vocals I'd appreciate any input.

Radio shack has a house brand Mic for like $20 that comes with a cord and mini stand, is it total crap or not anyone know.

If I don't get that then I'm going to browse the pawn shops for a used, good quality mic. Can anyone suggest brands to look for?

Thanks a bunch
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Re: Looking at getting a microphone

Postby DerpyGrooves » 09 Aug 2011 00:25

Get a condenser mic. I can assure you you will not find a good mic for 20$
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Whitetail » 09 Aug 2011 10:46

DerpyGrooves wrote:Get a condenser mic. I can assure you you will not find a good mic for 20$

Yeah unfortunately nothing music related is cheap, a condenser mic is the cheapest all around useful mic for your purposes, you can probably find one somewhere around $40-50
Whitetail

Postby Versilaryan » 09 Aug 2011 11:17

I agree wholeheartedly with both Derpy's. You're either going to spend some money on a mic, or you might as well go get a $5 computer mic and save yourself a lot of time and money.

If you're looking to use it as a recording mic, get a USB condenser mic. Just a warning, though, condenser mics are /really/ sensitive -- they'll pick up everything. You'll either have to position the mic differently (aimed at your throat or off to the side) or get a pop filter, or you'll get a lot of whoosh from breathing and popping from p's and b's.

But, yeah. Do some shopping around online. Read reviews, figure out what mic is best for your purposes, and see if any local stores have the mics you're looking for.

EDIT: That's assuming you don't have an external sound card set up with an XLR input. That opens up a whole new realm of possibility -- if you do, be extremely careful that you don't buy a mic that relies on phantom power unless you know for sure that your sound card can supply it.
Versilaryan

Postby Mox » 10 Aug 2011 17:07

USB condenser with pop filter is really the best way to go. I picked both up for 70$ on amazon. Watch the video reviews on the mics there.
Mox

Postby Lethaargic » 17 Aug 2011 01:04

Thanks, I ended up getting this Audio-Technica mic from my local pawn shop. It's used but sounds good still, and they seem pretty legit. The Guitar shop down the street from me had pop filters too so that worked out well. Hopefully I can put this thing to use soon.
art is the quintessential embodiment of telepathy, it is how we show each other the inside of our minds

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Versilaryan » 17 Aug 2011 01:19

Nice! Do you know what model? Audio-Technica makes some pretty amazing mics.
Versilaryan

Postby Lethaargic » 17 Aug 2011 04:57

Unidirectional Lo-z dynamic 75D Japan : )

Was $25 a good deal for this mic?

I work at a thrift store, I rarely buy anything new

Previously Spacepsy

SoundCloud
Lethaargic

Postby Pickslide1992 » 20 Aug 2011 15:40

My mic is a Samson R11, and it is pretty good for what it is. I looked at the prices and it's around $50 bucks new but can be $30 if you shop around. Put a pop filter in front of that bad bot and it's so good, your head will roll.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby IndustrialBreeze » 21 Aug 2011 00:49

If you know anypony with a full-on rockband/guitar hero set or kareoke game for video game consoles (ps2/ps3/360), they are generally all usb-based and it might be possible to borrow one.
I have one, but I haven't tested it's ability and quality. I doubt it's professional quality, but if it's good enough, you can pick them up cheap at EB Games/Gamestop for about 10-20 bucks a piece used.
IndustrialBreeze

Postby Versilaryan » 21 Aug 2011 00:57

For vocals, the Rock Band/Guitar Hero mics aren't the greatest -- you'd be better off looking for a used mic better suited for vocals.

They actually sound pretty good for electric guitars, though. Just have to make sure you up the reverb a little bit on your amp and mess with the settings a bit, because what it picks up won't be exactly what you hear.
Versilaryan

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice