The Guitar Thread

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: The Guitar Thread

Postby Pickslide1992 » 28 Jan 2012 09:05

I have a Vox AD15VT and it has some usable medium gain settings, but the metal sounds on it are not too great. The cleans are superb, however.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby RocknRollPony » 30 Jan 2012 22:20

Yeah my Vox does fairly well. I'm glad I didn't get a spider amp or whatever. As for influences, I really like Brian May. i also love Jimmy Page, particularly his acoustic songs. And I also love Hendrix, of course. I also really like George Harrison, even though he didn't do 20 minute solos.
RocknRollPony

Postby Versilaryan » 30 Jan 2012 23:00

I have the opposite problem. xD I've got an Ibanez built for metal, though, so I can get some pretty heavy metal sounds from mine.
Versilaryan

Postby Pickslide1992 » 31 Jan 2012 05:23

So do any of you guys ever get GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome)? In other words, are there any guitars, amps, effects you'd like to get your hands on at some point?

For me, I desperately need a new amp, preferably a Marshall.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Dethonator » 31 Jan 2012 15:10

The age of amplifiers for professional musicians is slowly coming to an end. My suggestion is to get an Axe FX. That's what I plan on in the future.
Dethonator

Postby Pickslide1992 » 31 Jan 2012 16:44

I heard of that, but I was talking if I ever wanted to perform live. I know a lot of pros use them live too, but I'm just a college student, not to mention I'm a little old school (Pedals and multieffects)

But yeah, if a substantial sum of cash heads my way, I'll pick one up.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby MasterOfRegret » 31 Jan 2012 18:24

My gear want-list:
But I suppose I could use a new Mic. I would prefer to record into a microphone than directly in with my Audio Interface. I find that when I record, it sounds semi-electric[?] and really ruins the tone. I donn't know a lot about gear anyway.
Check out my stuff.
| Youtube | SoundCloud |
I'm finally getting good at this!
MasterOfRegret

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Postby Triple_B » 31 Jan 2012 19:05

Stuff

Resolved!
Last edited by Triple_B on 01 Feb 2012 21:29, edited 3 times in total.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby Dethonator » 31 Jan 2012 19:12

Pickslide1992 wrote:I heard of that, but I was talking if I ever wanted to perform live. I know a lot of pros use them live too, but I'm just a college student, not to mention I'm a little old school (Pedals and multieffects)

But yeah, if a substantial sum of cash heads my way, I'll pick one up.

Same here in terms of money. The best option is to settle on craigslist. I got a Randall RH50T head and a Peavey 5150 cabinet for $300. Getting a tube amp for that price is lucky.

Can't really say much about pedals, because it all depends on genre.

At the moment, I really want to make a transition from mid-level gear to high-level. Image
Dethonator

Postby Dethonator » 31 Jan 2012 19:19

I have been using Guitar Rig 4 and 5, and they are pretty good, you just need to know how to adjust them properly to get the right stuff. As for a vst which is controlled by midi, I really can't help you there.
Dethonator

Postby RocknRollPony » 31 Jan 2012 22:22

What I most want is a Leslie Speaker or a Binson Echorec or maybe a good ol' Fuzz Face. Aside from guitars I want a Hammond Organ, a Mini Moog, and a Mellotron. Yes I know I have expensive tastes...
RocknRollPony

Postby @ppleBukker » 01 Feb 2012 07:25

Pickslide1992 wrote:So do any of you guys ever get GAS (Gear acquisition syndrome)? In other words, are there any guitars, amps, effects you'd like to get your hands on at some point?

I always get G.A.S. A new fuzz pedal would do me plenty good. I used my drummer's fuzz pedal while my multi-fx was down.

Speaking of Marshall, I'd love to get one as well. Any kind would do. Until then, I'm happy with my Peavey.
DAWs: Ableton Live Intro 8, Madtracker II, FamiTracker II,FL Studio 12.5
Preferred Genres: Breakcore, DnB, Uplifting Trance, Punk/Grunge, Smooth Electronica
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/applebukker
Pony.fm: https://pony.fm/pplebukker
@ppleBukker

Primary: Ableton/FL Studio
Cutie Mark: 16th Note w/ Halo

Postby Triple_B » 01 Feb 2012 21:32

To keep things on topic, this is my guitar; http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PEGKT15R/B ... ackage-Red

And amp, and everything else.... Okay, not really; I use 2.0mm picks, and my strap is a Parent Advisory sticker. Other than that; eeyup, that's all of my guitar stuff. x.x lol And my guitar is Sunburst Orange, and named Savannah. I can barely strum chords correctly on it; I rarely practice and when I do, it's just slamming the same power chord, sliding up and down.

The real reason I'm visiting this thread is I really need a good guitar VST; at least decent, i mean, it doesn't need to sound like Jimi Hendrix in MIDI form, but better than that crap that is FL Slayer. *Shudders* I have a bass vst, (http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/trilian.php) that I can use for basses but... I'm not 100% sure I can get a, y'know, like 6 string, clean guitar out of it. I don't know, it's kind of still installing... (Huge; 33.3 gb, it's been installing for 3 days)

I've looked at Cinematic Guitars, and Kontakt eludes my grasp of anything logical, it just gives me an error when I try to open the version I got on me high sea adventures, maties; an' that reclusive pearl East/West coast something or another Guitars that's immensely expensive, that eludes me too; it be nowhere to be found on the seas or down the coasts, savvy? Also; Hypersonic 2 requires some special device crack? and... RealStrat didn't work either for a reason I forget. Shiver me timbers mates; I be flabbergasted.

Guitar Rig 4 works at least though; that's something.

Let me know if this is in the wrong place.

Found one! And the solution to anyone who needs one's problem; http://www.spectrasonics.net/products/trilian.php (Manufacturers website, wouldn't dare link anything else and stain MLR's image!)

It even has that little sound when it's being run through an amp, and you slide your fingers on the strings? Yeah. It has that, and the string vibrating a little against un-filed frets. I got it to work after a bit of tweaking; runs so... just.... Oh my god; I'm drooling, I think.

Though this does make it apparent that I have no idea how to use Guitar Rig 4 at all. To YouTube!
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby Pickslide1992 » 03 Feb 2012 14:03

Dethonator wrote:I have been using Guitar Rig 4 and 5, and they are pretty good, you just need to know how to adjust them properly to get the right stuff. As for a vst which is controlled by midi, I really can't help you there.

I haven's used a computer interface in a while, unless you count editing my presets using Gearbox working with my Pod. I would like to give a whack at Guitar Rig one day, but have you ever heard of Amplitube? I know you're a bit of a metal head (As am I) and I think they made a set dedicated to metal, as well as a Fender inspired set and a Jimi Hendrix set, but they have normal sets too in case you don't want to stick to one niche.

Same goes with Gearbox/Pod Farm, once you get the right settings, you can turn a crappy tone into pure gold. Take my distortion sound, for instance. I wanted a vintage late 70s/80s distortion, so I used one of the amp models (Marshall Plexi Variac'd), tweak the EQ, add a distortion pedal, analog chorus, and a tiny splash of reverb and presto! Add in a delay for leads.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby PsychedelicBrony » 12 Feb 2012 18:46

Well, as is probably pretty obvious, I play a lot of psychedelic rock on guitar. You just can't beat such late sixties guitarists such as Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix, and Jimmy Page! Also a fan of the jazz of guitarists Grant Green, Wes Montgomery, and Joe Pass. Also can't help but enjoy the classics of Chuck Berry and Eddie Cochran as well as hard rock from LED ZEPPELIN AND BLACK SABBATH! \m/

As for equipment, I've got a Luna semi hollow-body electric, I use D'Addario flat wounds on my bottom three strings, which are good for jazz, and Ernia Ball Classic Rock n' Roll strings for my top three strings. I just put nylon strings on an old Yamaha for a classical sound, eh, what are you gonna do when you don't have money? *ponyshrug*

My amp is a Vox AC15VR, which is SCHWEET for jazz and 60-70's rock. Pedals to go with that are:
-Boss Distortion (not the best, I don't use it too much)
-Vox Wah-Wah (smoothest wah out there, and can make some real good quacks)
-MXR Blue Box (YEAH DOUBLE OCTAVE FUZZ ALL THE WAY)

What's actually awesome is that if you set the MXR Blue Box at around 10 o'clock on full level and add a wah pedal, the guitar will make ZE WUBS. They are growly wubs though and disturb other home-dwellers. Guitar dubstep is best dubstep.

I spend a lot of time on the guitar, especially since I have to practice music for Jazz Band and Jazz Combo, as well as the events that go with those (considering jazz guitar is HARD). People go on about rock guitar, but be sure to listen to jazz guitarists as well. I am a huge Jimi Hendrix fan, but to call him better than Wes Montgomery is a bit of a stretch. The reason one may call a rock guitarist better than a jazz guitarist is one of these two reasons:
1.) They haven't listened to jazz guitarists before
2.) They don't understand how DIFFICULT JAZZ GUITAR IS OH MY GOD SO MUCH HARDER THAN ROCK I CAN TELL YOU THAT

But yeah, pretty much all I have to say. ^^
You can call me Psycho for short.
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/PsychedelicBrony
DAW: Propellerhead's REASON 6!
PsychedelicBrony

Postby Pickslide1992 » 13 Feb 2012 09:29

Welcome to the club, Psych! I'm a classic rocker too (Though more 70s/80s rock/metal here). I always liked Hendrix and Clapton, Hell, even Santana.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby Dethonator » 16 Feb 2012 14:42

PsychedelicBrony wrote:The reason one may call a rock guitarist better than a jazz guitarist is one of these two reasons:
1.) They haven't listened to jazz guitarists before
2.) They don't understand how DIFFICULT JAZZ GUITAR IS OH MY GOD SO MUCH HARDER THAN ROCK I CAN TELL YOU THAT

^ This

But, I'll have to say, the great thing about metal is it's versatility, which is why shredders are now incorporating jazz elements in their techniques. Playing within the same mode/scale gets boring after awhile. I'd have to say progressive metal is hardest.
Dethonator

Postby Pickslide1992 » 16 Feb 2012 15:16

^This oh so much. That's kind of the reason why I've been trying my hand at a bit of jazz and blues. My one goal is to be able to shred (I'm strictly a rhythm/medium paced lead player) and I think it's helping a bit.

But I agree, Deth, metal can be versatile. It's not just screaming vocals, downtuned, chunky guitars and double bass infused drumming power.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby LeafRunner » 16 Feb 2012 21:38

I totally agree. One of the best ways to improve yourself as a musician is try out different styles. Playing music you normally don't is a great way to get better, give you fresh ideas, and beef up your improv skills.

I used to be very technically minded about the guitar, but after my hiatus from music and coming back, it's more about feeling to me. I guess it helps I already put in 9 years to get my chops, and of course if there's a type of lick or trick I want to learn I'll work on it, but I really don't care if I'm able to shred anymore.

And jazz guitarists totally don't get enough love. Bluegrass either.
LeafRunner

Postby Pickslide1992 » 16 Feb 2012 21:49

Musical versatility is a must for me. Sure I specialize in rock/pop/metal, I like dipping my feet into other styles as well.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Pickslide1992

Postby guitarfan01 » 18 Feb 2012 20:03

PsychedelicBrony wrote:Jazz Band and Jazz Combo... Wes Montgomery

Awesome! I played in the Jazz combo at the college I went to - started on guitar then moved to electric bass. Got pretty ok at it after awhile. And Wes Montgomery is 20% cooler than any other guitarist. I learned part of "Four on Six" back in the day. So much fun.

As for myself, now I play mostly folk/acoustic rock/acoustic pop (with a little jazziness and looping incorporated). I'm trying to get more into ambient and electronic right now. Also some classical/postmodern classical stuff. Most of my musical performance experience has from either church or college, but I did a few solo shows last year. My equipment is:

Martin D1 Acoustic Guitar with Fishman RareEarth Blend pickup OR Epiphone Les Paul electric guitar, through
MXR Custom Comp
Ernie Ball VP Jr passive volume pedal (doesn't everyone have one of these?)
Electro-Harmonix Micro-POG (essential for the bass sounds on the loops)
MXR CL1 Classic Overdrive pedal
Akai E2 Headrush digital delay/looper (used to use it for looping, now it's usually delay)
Digitech JamMan looping pedal
into either L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. or Vox AD50VT (with all it's own effects, of course)

Alternately, I have a Squier P-bass which plays through a Fender Rumble 210 amp. And a crappy Casio keyboard from when I was eight.

GAS:
reverbs, reverbs, reverbs! (necessary for playing ambient live, obviously - but I can't decide on which one - EHX is great but always need their special power supply)
some kind of chorus pedal
more delays
Presonus Audiobox (will be getting this before the end of the month! :D)
The One Galen, lead singer and guitarist of The Wonderbolts!
Youtube
Bandcamp
guitarfan01

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: Guitar, Singing

Postby ChromaticChaosPony » 17 Mar 2012 10:29

I’ve only been playing guitar for about a year, but I’ve gotten pretty good at it (I'm only 14). I have a Jackson JS32 Rhoads (black electric V guitar) and a Stratocaster look alike for guitars. I usually just use the Jackson because I can down tune it easily, and it is great for any type of metal. I have a Fender Frontman Reverb amp that I got from my father’s friend who plays guitar. It’s a tiny amp, but its 35 watts, which is really loud. I never turn the volume up past one, otherwise it would break windows. For recording, I just got Abbleton and Focusrite Scarlet 2i2. The sound quality isn’t great when the guitar is plugged into the audio input, so I’m going to buy a good microphone later. I don’t own a bass, so I don’t know much about them. I plan to get a seven or eight string guitar next year.
ChromaticChaosPony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 19 Mar 2012 12:16

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I’ve only been playing guitar for about a year, but I’ve gotten pretty good at it (I'm only 14).

I've been playing for seven years and i'm still shit (i'm 23). Ouch. : P

I own an electric solid body Ibanez GSZ 120. It's nothing special. I think it's not even listed anymore on the Ibanez site. I can't wait to get my new guitar which should be on the way soon!

I also have two combo amps. The Marshall has 15 watts and the Peavey has 50.
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Postby Legion » 19 Mar 2012 14:35

Gnarrkhaz wrote:
ChromaticChaosPony wrote:I’ve only been playing guitar for about a year, but I’ve gotten pretty good at it (I'm only 14).

I've been playing for seven years and i'm still shit (i'm 23). Ouch. : P

I know that feel. I've been playing for 4/5 years and I couldn't play good for my life. As for me, I've got a Fender Tele (slightly modified pickups) and a gibson sg. For amps, I have a gigantic, ear-splitting fender blues amp and a fender g-dec 15. As you can tell, I like Fender.

A good amount of that is my dad's though, I'm just the only one who ever uses it.
Legion

Postby Versilaryan » 19 Mar 2012 14:40

I always feel like I'm a decent guitar player

And then my roommate picks up my guitar or I jam with people who actually practice. And then I stop feeling that way for a while. >.>
Versilaryan

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice