The Guitar Thread

Want to know more about cables and adapters? Is DJing the right way to go? Which violins go well with your guitar? It's time to find out!

Re: The Guitar Thread

Postby Pickslide1992 » 19 Aug 2012 20:51

I consider myself self taught, as I learned some chords and played some songs, then began teaching myself to read tabs, starting with some easy songs (Living After Midnight by Judas Priest for one), then the rest comes with experience.

YouTube can be an amazing resource in terms of lessons. In a lot of them they'll slow down the riff/lick and explain it.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby Warbalist » 20 Aug 2012 00:44

MixolydianPony wrote:Hal Leonard Guitar Method Book 1
Intermediate Rock Guitar by Paul Howard
Mastering Rock Guitar by Eric Halbig
And there was a Beginner Blues Book from the same publisher as those previous two, Alfred Publishing.

Oh, and one final thing, don't become obsessed with speed. Just play the instrument and the speed will come. Learn scales to understand what they sound like and how to compose with them, don't learn scales to mindlessly tear up and down them at 200bpm for 5 minutes and call it a song.

</walloftext>

Mixo's got the right idea here. I would add the Progressive series of books, especially the rock method and technique ones. I was self-taught for my first 4 years and those helped me like crazy.

To add to Mixo's great comment about speed: speed happens naturally when you do something over and over, and fretting over it (haha, fretting) is silly. I do, however think it's great to build it up with a metronome so you can play whatever pops in your head/heart.

Really though, it's all about emoting and what's a better way to get a person to scrunch up their face in affirmation than bending and vibrato? Take a hold of those strings like you're the big guy in the prison! And when you start your vibrato, quarter note speed bends and then 8th, triplet, 16th, etc. Good vibrato and bends is what I'm not hearing in a lot of players nowadays. GET ON THEM STRINGS AND DON'T LET OFF!

One last thing that I would suggest: watch good players play their stuff live. Stare at their hands and mimic what they do. It's good for you....usually.
Warbalist

Postby MixolydianPony » 20 Aug 2012 01:02

EnnervateIndustries wrote:I remember my teacher said that my wonky hand position on the neck (I rested the neck against the heel of my hand instead of my thumb) supposedly wasn't a problem, but I'm trying to fix it anyway. I'm also fairly sure I'm either picking wrong, or just straight-up holding the pick wrong.

As far as how to hold the neck, I use both methods. I put the thumb on the back of the neck for fast licks and scale runs, and I hold it with my thumb on top for everything else. If feels more comfortable, my bends and vibrato are better, and I can use my left thumb to mute lower strings for chords that don't use them.

As far as holding the pick, there's two schools of thought... Holding it kindof like a fist, and holding it with the index finger and thump perpendicular. You'll find famous guitarists for both styles, each saying theirs is right. Personally, I use the second one, but I have issues with it... my index finger sometimes hits the strings, and while it's not really audible, it's annoying.

There's also the question of whether or not to anchor your picking hand by placing your pinky on the body of the guitar. I personally don't do it, but I think I used to when I first started. John Petrucci does it, and he's a shred god, so it can't be THAT bad of a habit.

Also, one last thing. PICK from your WRIST. STRUM with your ELBOW, with your wrist relaxed.

Okay, one LAST LAST thing... Warbalist is right about vibrato and bends. They are very important. Bends are probably my favorite guitar technique. Because of my Floyd Rose, I can bend up a major 3rd. I did a perfect fourth once, but the string snapped xD Vibrato took me a long time to develop to the point where I was happy with it. Vibrato is often unique to a guitarist, so it's important to develop yours. And don't be like these metal shredder guys who can't play a nice sounding sustained note to save their life. You can listen to someone like Petrucci, and hear how his vibrato is really wobbly and strays pretty far from the note, and then listen to Steve Vai, who has the most perfect vibrato on the earth. I like to try and emulate vocalists with my vibrato. I'll hold the note for a second before gradually adding vibrato to a certain point, and then intensify it right before leaving the note.

Acoustic, electric, and 12 string acoustic guitarist, always looking for collabs.
MixolydianPony

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 20 Aug 2012 07:34

MixolydianPony wrote:*really long post I'm not going to quote in full*

Oh, that's extremely reassuring. I thought I was playing some crazy way that's going to break my fingers or something. The thing with technique, though, is that my electric is a piece of crap that is quite obviously made for beginners (according to reviewers, for what it's worth) and apparently becomes basically worthless after a point. My acoustic, though, is apparently amazing, so I guess I'll use that, regardless of the higher action.

Oh, and by the way, I'm pretty sure I'm not going to buy another electric guitar or amp, because holy crap that's a lot of money. Maybe after college.
I'm gone, and not coming back.
EnnervateIndustries

Postby Pickslide1992 » 20 Aug 2012 13:47

I would save a little next egg of spare change and cash. Believe me, it adds up. Once I scouted around my Chernobyl sized disaster of a room and easily found $25 in spare change. Not much, but every little bit helps.
Hey guys, new YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/user/PowerChordEPS

Gear:
2003 Gibson SG
Line 6 PodXT
FL Studio

Styles: Rock, metal, pop, new wave
Pickslide1992

Postby theNewWorldMan » 20 Aug 2012 21:59

Guitar gear isn't cheap, and just recently got another taste of that when I bought this beauty...
(best pic I have, from my senior pictures)
Its an Epiphone performer ME. Bought everything for $500, got almost $200 off. Great acoustic with amazing live pickups.

As for learning and technique, I am completely self taught for 2 years (but I guess I have an advantage because I have played bass since I was 10). Start with songs you like. If you can, try to learn them by ear. If you can't, tabs are your best friend. Also memorize popular chords and the patterns of scales. I think everything else technique wise has been said before.

Oh, and this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjhmi-bkFPE
I've have using this to build speed and proper technique. Really excellent. If you couldn't tell, I love Petrucci, and Mixo just made me realize how much his technique has rubbed off onto me, which can't be a bad thing.
And my avatar is a ponyfied Petrucci.
theNewWorldMan

Postby Warbalist » 21 Aug 2012 00:30

theNewWorldMan wrote:And my avatar is a ponyfied Petrucci.

Dude, we need the rest of G3 and friends! And then we all need to make a P3 album, complete with screaming audience!

Come on, it'll take, like, five minutes.......
Warbalist

Postby theNewWorldMan » 21 Aug 2012 01:39

Warbalist wrote:Dude, we need the rest of G3 and friends! And then we all need to make a P3 album, complete with screaming audience!

Come on, it'll take, like, five minutes.......

That is a the greatest idea I have heard in a while, unfortunately I didn't sketch that. I couldn't ever do something like that. Found that searching for ponyfied versions of random people. But I would love to see it done, someone get on this now.
theNewWorldMan

Postby VINXIS » 21 Aug 2012 01:40

Ennervate, Lav. will probably kill you soon lol (seriously be careful in thread resurrection)

Anyways, mine's like a 60$ Academy guitar lolololololo... I can play guitar pree well though (5 years of everyday 20 min. guitar playing :D), but I've switched to bass and playing it like faking hell for this whole year. Damn, I got soo good in it. :D It's a Yamaha RBX170... pretty small image. It was 240 bucks when I bought it but they decreased it to like 170 bucks now or something :\
VINXIS

Primary: Ableton 9 live (like 99% of the time)
Cutie Mark: pls

Postby Applejinx » 21 Aug 2012 03:35

Warbalist wrote:
theNewWorldMan wrote:And my avatar is a ponyfied Petrucci.

Dude, we need the rest of G3 and friends! And then we all need to make a P3 album, complete with screaming audience!

I'm a lil' less into G3 than I used to be- when I found out they booed Fripp. I kinda understand because from what I hear he went out and did ambient pieces rather than shred... but in a sense that implies he got booed for having the cojones to make the audience listen to MUSIC :o

However, I'd totally check out a P3 project. Maybe I could play bass! I ain't quite Billy Sheehan, but one thing about my style of playing is that I can make a bass do stuff most shred guys can't make a bass do. The delicacy of guitar shred really doesn't translate to bass where you have to make so much bigger motions, and often fingerstyle rather than with a pick. ;)
Applejinx

Postby Warbalist » 21 Aug 2012 11:33

Applejinx wrote:I'm a lil' less into G3 than I used to be- when I found out they booed Fripp. I kinda understand because from what I hear he went out and did ambient pieces rather than shred... but in a sense that implies he got booed for having the cojones to make the audience listen to MUSIC :o

However, I'd totally check out a P3 project. Maybe I could play bass! I ain't quite Billy Sheehan, but one thing about my style of playing is that I can make a bass do stuff most shred guys can't make a bass do. The delicacy of guitar shred really doesn't translate to bass where you have to make so much bigger motions, and often fingerstyle rather than with a pick. ;)

The audience frickin' boo'd Fripp? Dude! I didn't hear about that. Awful.

I'm mostly joking about a P3, of course, but it would be awesome and hilarious. Maybe throw in a cover song or two done in that shred style.

Shred bass is ridiculous and requires a completely different skill set, and two of the most important skills for being awesome on bass? Strength and endurance!
Warbalist

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 21 Aug 2012 12:13

VINXIS wrote:Ennervate, Lav. will probably kill you soon lol

Yeah...

Anyway, since I'm learning guitar, is there good sheet music for brony songs? I know about EveryponySings, but is there a collection of brony songs somewhere? (For guitar, that's why it's in this thread)
Last edited by EnnervateIndustries on 24 Aug 2012 17:45, edited 1 time in total.
EnnervateIndustries

Postby VINXIS » 21 Aug 2012 12:18

You prolly have to take a midi file and open it on TeblEdit for most tabs in this place.
VINXIS

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 21 Aug 2012 12:21

Noooo! It costs money! *bursts into flame*

Anyway, I more accurately wanted to know if there was an existing thread for tabs or sheet music.
EnnervateIndustries

Postby theNewWorldMan » 21 Aug 2012 13:19

I usually transcribe things on my own. But, since I am terribly lazy, if I find a good tab or score I will keep it. I've had these sitting around for a while. I don't remember who did these, but they are excellent. Include tabs and sheet music.
Brony Metal Medley by Bronyfied - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/Brony%20Metal%20Medley.pdf
I am no Hero - Mando https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/I%20Am%20No%20Hero.pdf

I also have Guitar pro files for Like a spinning record and Gimme RD, but chances are you don't have the program.
Here they are anyways - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/like%20a%20spinning%20record.gp5
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/Gimme%20RD%20%28reprise%29.gp5
theNewWorldMan

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 21 Aug 2012 13:22

theNewWorldMan wrote:Brony Metal Medley by Bronyfied - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/Brony%20Metal%20Medley.pdf

I love you now. That song is amazing.

Except for the fact that it's in drop D, I hate retuning my guitar. I'm going to do it anyway!

EDIT: Holy crap I can actually play parts of it!
Last edited by EnnervateIndustries on 21 Aug 2012 15:07, edited 1 time in total.
EnnervateIndustries

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 21 Aug 2012 13:51

theNewWorldMan wrote:I also have Guitar pro files for Like a spinning record and Gimme RD, but chances are you don't have the program.
Here they are anyways - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/like%20a%20spinning%20record.gp5
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/98726897/Gimme%20RD%20%28reprise%29.gp5

Gimme R D for Guitar Pro! Awesome! Thanks.
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Postby VINXIS » 21 Aug 2012 14:08

EnnervateIndustries wrote:Noooo! It costs money! *bursts into flame*

Anyway, I more accurately wanted to know if there was an existing thread for tabs or sheet music.

There IS a free version, but the printing is limited to 16 bars. Though, atleast you can read it off the monitor screen :D :3
VINXIS

Postby theNewWorldMan » 21 Aug 2012 14:16

[url][/url]I found the sources of those tabs. http://www.youtube.com/user/84tangelo This guy did the 2 PDF's, and http://www.youtube.com/user/2007excalibur2007 this guy did the GP5.

And if anyone wants, I do know a couple songs, like between fairytales and happy endings, loyalty, one last letter and I will tab them out on request. I'm too lazy to do it if there is no need.
theNewWorldMan

Postby MasterOfRegret » 21 Aug 2012 14:38

theNewWorldMan wrote:[url][/url]I found the sources of those tabs. http://www.youtube.com/user/84tangelo This guy did the 2 PDF's, and http://www.youtube.com/user/2007excalibur2007 this guy did the GP5.

And if anyone wants, I do know a couple songs, like between fairytales and happy endings, loyalty, one last letter and I will tab them out on request. I'm too lazy to do it if there is no need.

Yeah. I've been subbed to Tangelo for a while. He`s alright! I've had the original MIDI from Like a Spinning Record forever too.
I would love to see a tab for Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings. Consider this an official request.

ANd you can open guitar pro files in TuxGuitar. It's free.
Check out my stuff.
| Youtube | SoundCloud |
I'm finally getting good at this!
MasterOfRegret

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Postby Gnarrkhaz » 21 Aug 2012 14:46

MasterOfRegret wrote:I would love to see a tab for Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings. Consider this an official request.

That would indeed be cool.
Gnarrkhaz

Primary: Reaper
Cutie Mark: white solid body guitar

Postby theNewWorldMan » 21 Aug 2012 14:58

MasterOfRegret wrote:I would love to see a tab for Between Fairy Tales and Happy Endings. Consider this an official request.

You got it, I love that song so much. I'm going to include everything; solos, bass, drums, and piano, just cause because I can (and I am bored). Have it done in a couple hours.
theNewWorldMan

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 21 Aug 2012 15:08

theNewWorldMan wrote:And if anyone wants, I do know a couple songs, like between fairytales and happy endings, loyalty, one last letter and I will tab them out on request. I'm too lazy to do it if there is no need.

Yes. All of those. Those songs are the awesome. I just came back from practicing, and I can actually play parts of Brony Metal Medley! Eeeehehee I'm so happy!

On a random note, does anyone else use punched-out library cards as picks? Cause a friend of the family gave me a pick punch and I really like the feel of library card picks.
EnnervateIndustries

Postby Warbalist » 21 Aug 2012 20:28

You guys ever go on to http://www.everyponysings.com/ ?

They have fan transcriptions, including my classical ones (which are best arrangements). Nice site and really nice staff.
Warbalist

Postby EnnervateIndustries » 21 Aug 2012 20:43

Warbalist wrote:You guys ever go on to http://www.everyponysings.com/ ?

I did say that before I already knew about it, but I'm not sure others do. Yes, EveryponySings is very useful.
EnnervateIndustries

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware/Tracking/Performance Advice