question about hardcore music production

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

question about hardcore music production

Postby Vinyl-Love » 12 Jul 2014 12:10

In hardcore music (happy hardcore , uk hardcore, etc.) should i sidechain to the kick drum? Also do i need any white noise?

Im new to the genre of hardcore so any tips or common mistakes you can tell me about would be great.
Vinyl-Love

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: question about hardcore music production

Postby itroitnyah » 12 Jul 2014 22:39

Most genres sidechain the kick drum, it's just to what that is the question. I'm not an expert on any of the hardcore genres but I'm under the impression that if they follow similar production methods of other electronic genres, sidechaining the kick to the basses and supersaws is pretty common, among other synths. But *insert picture of radical hippy* there are no rules to music so you do like whatever feels good to you man. It's all about the spirit dude.

White noise is also pretty common used in risers and blended into synths.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ExoBassTix » 13 Jul 2014 04:27

It's really whatever you think works best. Some people sidechain to the kick, others don't.
White noise is just one of the possible tools, as Itro mentioned, to use with risers and enhancing some leads that it works with. Find out for yourself if it works and if it doesn't, try to make it work or use something else.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Vinyl-Love » 13 Jul 2014 11:51

Alright thanks guys. I just thought maybe it was pointless to sidechain my basses since they go on the offbeat.
Vinyl-Love

Primary: FL

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 13 Jul 2014 21:31

For me it'd depend on the kind of kick. Something short and punchy probably won't even touch the offeat bass, but if the kick decays long enough you might wanna bump up the attack of your offbeat synth so they don't clash. It also helps if your kick is in the key of the song.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice