How Do I Write A Guitar Instrumental Song?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How Do I Write A Guitar Instrumental Song?

Postby hunterz263 » 17 May 2014 11:48

Hello everypony,

I was wondering about composition when it comes to guitar. I have been playing for two years and would like to start composing songs that are purely instrumental. I have all the tools -- I own seven electric guitars for goodness sakes -- I need to make an awesome song, but I really do not know where to start. I have attempted to make such songs in the past, but I get stuck on where to go.

Also, I would like to make songs similar to ISMBOFepicly's and Canapplejack's style of music.

Here are a few examples:

Thank you for reading and listening.

--hunterz263
Soundcloud: hunterz263
YouTube: gamer263

Audio Interface:
-Fractal Audio Axe-FX II XL

Guitars:
-Fender American Standard Stratocaster (Standard tuning)
-Fender American Standard Telecaster (Eb standard)
-Fender Squire Bullet Strat (Drop C#)
-Gibson Les Paul Standard 2013 (Drop D)
-Ibanez RGIR27FE (Drop A)
-Ibanez RGIR20FE (Drop A#)

Bass:
-Fender American Standard Precision Bass

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Guitar

Re: How Do I Write A Guitar Instrumental Song?

Postby S.P.P » 18 May 2014 02:30

Whenever I write guitar tracks, the easiest thing for me is to write it as MIDI tracks in the DAW. This way you get to hear all the parts together at all times, and in my opinion it's infinitely easier to write the next part.
Next you learn the parts separately and record them one-by-one, replacing the MIDI tracks.

That's basically all I do when writing guitar music and from what I hear, the same method works for a lot of people :3
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby hunterz263 » 18 May 2014 10:56

Huh. I never considered doing that before. Thank you so much for the advice. I guess my next question would be is how do I write the drum track?

Audio Interface:

Guitars:

Bass:

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Postby The_Rariot » 18 May 2014 13:00

To write the drum track you're gonna need some drum samples or a drum VST to work with.

Personally, I use the Addictive drums demo (looking to eventually upgrade to full version in the near future). The demo only includes a pretty bare bones kit (kick, snare, hi hat, crash) but it can get the job done for the time being. It sounds great and it's useful for a least helping create a frame work for your drum track.

Your drum track will likely be comprised of a series of drum loops. Some programs will have preset loops and grooves to use, which can be helpful when experimenting. But, you're most likely going to want to create your own loops. Writing loops can be tricky depending on how complex and long your trying to make the loop, but you eventually get the hang of it.

Then again, I'm no drummer, and only have limited experience using DAWs. So, take that as you will.

Hope this helps!
https://soundcloud.com/the-rariot - nothing here but bad singing attempts right now.
The_Rariot

Primary: Mario Paint

Postby itroitnyah » 18 May 2014 14:30

For writing drums, do you mean that you're going to record the drums yourself as well? Just do the same thing as writing the drum track as midi so that you have a good loop going. In fact, you can even record with the drum loop playing and that can help you stay in beat.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby hunterz263 » 20 May 2014 16:26

Thank you both for the reply. I currently use Studio Drummer from Native Instruments. I have tried making my own loops before, but it is a huge pain since I have no idea how real drummers play. Either way, thank you two for the help. Is there any other tips I should know about?

Audio Interface:

Guitars:

Bass:

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Postby FLAOFEI » 20 May 2014 21:07

hunterz263 wrote:I have tried making my own loops before, but it is a huge pain since I have no idea how real drummers play.

I could give you a brief walk through on the techniques I use/know about while drumming and their limitations. But if your not going to have a drummer actually play the loop you shouldn't have to worry about it. As long as you remember one drummer has 2 hands and 2 feet there's probably somebody out there who could play it. And all the percussion doesn't even have to be played by one drummer, you could have some people playing around with cowbells, congas and chimes and stuff like that to. So just make it sound good.

Otherwise, if you want real drums in your track, you have to take into consideration the drummer in questions skill level, his or her style of drumming, what drums are available, and so on.
The easiest solution if you want live drums is probably be first programming your loop to approximately the way you want it to be, then giving it to the drummer and asking them to play something like that. They might not be able to play every single accent accurately, but it'll probably still sound like the loop in essence.

Hope I made sense, I'm tired. If you have questions about drums or percussion and how they play, I can probably answer. So ask.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby hunterz263 » 21 May 2014 22:04

Thanks for the advice, FLAOFEI. Unfortunately, I have no drummer in my area so I am simply programming the drums in with Studio Drummer from Native Instruments. It has been a while since I have played around with it, so I might give it a shot this coming weekend. I will post a little demo of my first song on here whenever I get some stuff done.

Audio Interface:

Guitars:

Bass:

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Postby hunterz263 » 28 Aug 2014 16:35

Kyoga wrote:edited the OP to get your vids to show. :3
for future reference if you want your videos to show you have to use http instead of https.
*themoreyouknow*

Oooh... thank you Kyoga! That is a massive help!

Audio Interface:

Guitars:

Bass:

DAW:
-Logic Pro X
hunterz263

Postby NightmareRare » 30 Oct 2014 04:33

Well there's a whole tree of thought on this, too much to give you a descent run down everything. But I can give you a few key points you want to look into if you're planning on recording guitar for instrumental songs.

- basics of mixing ( so everything comes through and is individually audible )
- audio processing ( compression and EQing so everything can sit nice and sound clean )

These are very important if your planning on recording your own live instruments

If you need any specific tips on recording or audio processing send me line!

Good luck!
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Postby GhostXb » 05 Dec 2014 16:30

Studio drummer does come with a large library of configurable groove patterns that you can drag and drop into your project, after which you can further customize if you wish. It used to be my go to drum vst. I don't use it as much anymore but I do still like browsing the grooves for inspiration. You might also try using the "metal" mixer preset. It sounds really tight and is particularly good for fast and djent style playing.

Here's a video explainging grooves a bit more.

http://youtu.be/OwZqLfWxS6o?t=3m16s

Oh and here's another video giving you in depth advice on writing music for guitar (or anything). I can personally vouch for it's effectiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
GhostXb

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice