How can I start networking?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How can I start networking?

Postby BronyMetalMix » 14 Apr 2014 21:00

F.Y.I. I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum to post this in. I get confused sometimes where to post stuff.

Hey guys, I've been looking to start networking for a while now but I honestly don't know where to begin. I have some friends who are fellow producers and they seem to get other artists attention easily, I'm not sure how they do it but if anyone has any advice on how to start to network with others I'd love to here some. I know it's a big part of growing as a musician but I'm always very shy and don't wanna come off as desperate if I ever try to message someone.

Thanks,
Note Wise
Things to Improve on in 2015
MOAR SONGS!
Transitions
Chord and Melodies
Mixing
"Flow of Energy" in a song

DAW: FL Studio 11, Logic Pro X
VST: Nexus, TAL-NoiseMaker, Komplete 10,
Equipment: APC40, AudioBox USB

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/BronyMetalMix (Username was before Note Wise.)
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/notewise
Reverbnation: http://www.reverbnation.com/notewise
BronyMetalMix

Primary: FL Studio, and Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Electronic and Guitar

Re: How can I start networking?

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 15 Apr 2014 02:51

For messaging, learning how to write a good business type letter is a good idea. First off, research your question before asking, as many times they have your answer in a FAQ or something, or even you could easily figure it out on your own.
Make a quick intro about something you appreciate of theirs and then a quick respectful request for what you want from them. Remember that they don't want to spend a lot of time reading emails. Remember that you still may not get a response.
Here's an article that seems to cover it decently:
http://www.artofmanliness.com/2012/03/01/how-to-write-an-email-that-will-actually-get-a-response/
Realize that you probably won't create any sort of relationship from a short business letter. This is more for when you just need certain information.

As for networking, it can be pretty simple. This is for face-to-face world, but you can modify it for internet ( Remember that internet can be harder to make solid relationships).
You have obviously already connected with your current producer friends. Take one of them out for lunch or whatever and talk to them about what they do and whatnot, and request that you can meet up with their producer friends. Your circle will begin to grow as you meet more people and their circles, and eventually you may just find yourself eating lunch with somebody with important pants on.
In the real world this is a great way to get to know a lot about certain kinds of work, and also develop friendships with people that can offer you good opportunities and knowledge. Assuming you are competent, they are much more likely to hire you if you are their friend then if you are a nobody in a large crowd trying to get the same position.

On the internet, you may be able to do this through Skype or other social media. When talking with one of your friends, make an excuse like a three way collab, project, or something (or even playing a videogame multiplayer) to get one of their friends added into your circle. Remember to be real; being that dude that never says anything again bouncing around everywhere trying to take advantage of people isn't the reputation you want.
Simply rinse and repeat as desired.

Think of it like this: would you more readily accept a request from a random dude from nowhere, or somebody that one of your best friends is introducing to you?

Good luck getting attention of somebody you have absolutely no connection with, because you'll need a lot of it.
Captain Ironhelm

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice