How do you sort your projects?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: How do you sort your projects?

Postby Facade » 20 Jan 2014 10:51

Acsii wrote:I have all my projects in the same folder but sort them on the album that they are for and stuff like that...

i kinda do that after i render them i put them in the folder for the album they will be in
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Paianni » 25 Jan 2014 10:46

I used to keep just one folder on my USB stick for virtually all my Logic projects, which I backed up probably less regularly than I should of. From December last year all new projects are stored in my internal MacBook drive, with no means of backing up for now. At least I'm pretty confident it's not going to fail anytime soon. Bounces and MIDI files are copied to the USB stick when needed.

In time, when I switch to an Arch Linux-based studio production system (hopefully next year) I will transfer bounces and audio files for all the instruments I have ever used to the new system for future mastering. That will, thankfully, allow for backing up as it will be much easier and less convoluted than my workstation is right now.
Paianni

Postby Luks » 25 Feb 2014 16:29

I have an folder called "Projects". When I'm starting an new project, I'll make subdirectory with name of the project and save everything about that project there. I'll change also FL's project path to this folder, so everything keeps perfectly organized.
Luks

Postby Stuntddude » 26 Feb 2014 17:13

I don't. And so far I haven't needed to. I finish a song on nearly half of all project files I every create(whether it's the one I was intending to make there or not), so I don't end up with a lot of clutter. Also, I've gotten excellent at memorizing what entire folders full of projects with names like "whatup" and "power out" and "that one thing i did" are for.
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby MrBronyPlan » 25 Mar 2014 08:54

I have one folder for stuff I want to finish. And one for stuff that I don't want to finish, but keep just in case they are special later on.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Postby Fl Brony » 28 Mar 2014 07:51

I have the problem of, I don't sort mine. I just name them the song name/something random if I'm just playing with things it's chaotic, but it works for me.
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Mar 2014 08:58

I have main folder where I keep all my projects, and then in that folder I have a folder for each individual project, and in each individual project's folder I keep the project file, WIP exports and the finished project.

For inside of the song itself, I color code everything so that I can easily tell what belongs where and I name everything appropriately.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby GCKrastin » 31 Mar 2014 11:23

Short answer: I don't.

Still pretty short answer: I have a folder will all my random nonsense projects (default FL project file folder) and another folder inside that one with more serious stuff.

Pics:
Spoiler pics:
Random nonsense:

Slightly less random nonsense:

Many unfinished projects, and also a couple different versions of some of them.
Producing mediocre drum and bass since 2012.
Stuff I use: FL Studio 12, Harmor, Sytrus, Maximus, Akai MPK Mini, Numark Mixtrack
SoundCloud -=- YouTube -=- Tumblr
GCKrastin

Primary: FL Studio 11/12

Postby MrBronyPlan » 01 Apr 2014 17:20

GCKrastin wrote:Short answer: I don't.

Still pretty short answer: I have a folder will all my random nonsense projects (default FL project file folder) and another folder inside that one with more serious stuff.

Pics:
Spoiler pics:
Random nonsense:

Slightly less random nonsense:

Many unfinished projects, and also a couple different versions of some of them.
I thought I was the only one with a big ass folder of random projects that like I'll probably never go back to.
Nice.
MrBronyPlan

Primary: FL Studio 12
Cutie Mark: Potato

Postby Stuntddude » 02 Apr 2014 06:57

Recently I've actually taken to keeping a separate well-maintained list of music TODOs in a text file, and tbh I find that a lot easier than properly organizing my stuff (also, I'm scared to ever move or change anything since I've had terrible experiences with broken dynamic links in projects).
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Cutie Mark: { }

Postby Feedback » 09 Apr 2014 02:26

One main folder everything goes in. Random ideas and junk that's jut taking notes for potential future songs sit in the main folder, and get very descriptive filenames("Metallica-ish slow arpeggio riff in Db" is one example) so I know them at a glance. Anything for a project goes in specific subfolders for whatever project it belongs to.
Feedback

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Two tied eighth notes

Postby Freewave » 10 Apr 2014 11:49

I have a Pony Projects folder which has all my completed and not completed tracks. I then keep track of "what i'm working on" via unpublished blog notes on mlpforums so i can plan what to work on next, what stuff will make future albums, etc. Of course i'll often write lyrics for songs which i then either work on the next available free time or that i never get around to. It's important to write down lyrics or ideas whether you run with them or not.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Feral FurE » 11 Jul 2014 23:58

I went through a phase where I decided to call all the projects I was working on really, and I mean REALLY, random names. One project was called "Soup Can," took me about 5 minutes every day to remember what was in that project as I squinted at other projects entitled "DWHGBJSDVJNewubhnlsEUWGBSDBBQ" and "Xavier can suck my bawls" in addition to "broken window sills" and "stuff semi-related to clocks." Just a note, btdub, I DON'T EVEN KNOW ANYONE NAMED XAVIER.

Suffice to say, I have never done such a thing ever again.
One of the few hardstyle producers floating around this fandom woopwoop!

Chat me up and we can talk about moozics!
Feral FurE

Primary: FL Studio 11!
Cutie Mark: My CM doesn't work that way.

Postby Wisp » 24 Jul 2014 10:23

Wow I'm probably the least organized person here lol
I just save them all to my documents xD
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby itroitnyah » 24 Jul 2014 12:29

I don't understand how you could do that. How do you find anything?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Wisp » 27 Jul 2014 08:05

itroitnyah wrote:I don't understand how you could do that. How do you find anything?

I just try to save the project as a memorable name. But usually I use "open recent projects" in ableton lol.
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby Triple_B » 15 Oct 2014 21:42

Projects I am working on;

Dropbox > Projects (Ableton) > Freebies (mostly remixes)
[Album, if I'm working on one]
[Very few loose doodles]

Inside the album/freebies folder are the project folders that Ableton makes, and then the actual project files. .als or somethin'

Finished projects or scrapped projects just get thrown into files either called FINISHED or SCRAPPED. This file is on the desktop of both my computers and every now and again, I back those up to identical files on my external hard drive. Then I delete the copies on the desktops.

I also keep the folders for remix stems and such in the project folder for the remix itself, so that the stems AND the project sync between my computers via Dropbox.

I like to think I'm organized, now. I didn't used to be, back when I used FL. Or Reason, *shudders* or Magix. *Shudders so hard she vibrates through solid matter* Yeah.
10/15/2014 - I finally return to ponies? Maybe.

Actually it was more like 10/12/2015

My current SoundCloud, pony & non-pony things found here.

I have 4 EP's under this alias!

Somepony talk to me, I are the lonelies. :c
Triple_B

Primary: Ableton Live Suite 8.2
Cutie Mark: EDM History!

Postby NightmareRare » 01 Nov 2014 18:35

Well I use two main folders, finished and project. In the finished folder I have a folder for done songs and one for songs that need to have a final mixdown and mastering done. Then in the project file I have folders marked project 1, 2, 3 ect. 1=my first year writing and practicing, 2= seconded year and so one. This way I can look back at my mile stones as well as it keeps everything nice and oginized :D
Hayden Wired
Twitter Time!
Facebook Friend Machine!
---
" I never fell apart because I guess I never really fell together."
- Andy Warhol
NightmareRare

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Cup of Coffee

Postby Injustrial » 09 Nov 2014 17:20

Did I mention my giant folder full of .txt files labelled "lyrics"? Because it's getting ridiculous and I probably won't use them at all.

Related: Who wants some free lyrics from me?
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby OuTbREaK » 14 Mar 2015 13:42

I sort them into files based on state of completion, if they're released or not, etc.
More in depth:

Spoiler In Depth Explanation:
I have a set of main folders, some of which have subfolders. The first folder is Competitions, which is where my Mission: Remixable, Seeds of Kindness: Shine Together, and Academy of Power entries are. My second folder is Completed Albums. It has two subfolders: Life of a DJ and Tall Tales and Cosmic Chronicles. This holds all the project files and audio files for the albums I have completed and released. The third folder is Graveyard, and it holds abandoned projects. The fourth is Lustderwan Songs, and it holds the project files and audio for the album Lustderwan, which is unfinished. Next, I have a folder of projects made by other people that I use for reference. After that, there's a folder with all the songs that are only available on Soundcloud or Youtube due to lack of quality or other reasons, for example my remix of Turn Down For What which is fairly popular so I can't put it on Bandcamp in fear of a copyright lawsuit, or Boss Battle - Discord, which is just a horrible song. Then I have a folder for the song that are part of The Lunar Ocean. After that, there's the folder that has all my unfinished projects that are not abandoned or part of an album that has already been planned. This included songs such as my remix of Three and the song Busta Busta. Finally, there's a folder with songs that haven't been released. This includes Crystal Empire Escape and my chiptune arrangement of Arabian Dances, both of which have to be evaluated for quality before I decide to release them.

Spoiler A Screencap:
OuTbREaK

Cutie Mark: the bit with sound

Postby Pulse Wave » 01 Dec 2016 06:06

Sort my projects, you mean, like on any one of my computers?

Not at all. Mostly because all I ever have on my computers are lyrics and LilyPond sheet music if I write any. And all that isn't even much.

The music itself only exists as sound and routing settings in my hardware devices plus maybe sequences in one or both of my workstations and/or drum patterns in my MPC. Not much sorting possible; besides, there isn't any sorting required since I don't and will probably never have that many WIP started in a whiff and dropped just as quickly, also because loading a project for me is a whole lot more than loading a file in FL Studio. I've created a certain degree of remote-controllability, but there's only so much you can do with MIDI program changes.

Once the music (as in audio) hits a computer, I consider it pretty much completed except for the downmix. And the hardware premix is usually identical with the final mix. If anything, I have to add some fade-ins/fade-outs that I've yet to work out how to sequence in hardware.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Previous

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice