How to glue different parts?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How to glue different parts?

Postby Faren » 20 Nov 2013 15:40

Heya, guys. Been working on a track but got a problem. Intro, Verse,Chorus. They sound ok (kind of) apart from each other but together it just doesn't seem right =/ Any tips on what should i do with'em or perhaps some transition tricks?

Track related:
https://soundcloud.com/faren-music/hope-wip

Would love to get advices according to the track above but it's even better to hear about solving this problem in general cuz i seem to have hard times with that stuff. Thanks for your time.
Faren

Re: How to glue different parts?

Postby HMage » 20 Nov 2013 16:08

If it's DJ-friendly version, then you shouldn't be playing lead in the intro.

If it's for home listening, start with second most interesting part (to you) right away.

The whole composition feels empty, add more. You don't have enough pads, basses, percussion and hats, throwing in some atonal sounds can be good as well.

It feels like you're not keeping them in same song key. Key change is rarest thing to happen and it's better you don't try it unless you know what you do — make sure all notes are within same key.

Lots of "filler" parts there — cut down/shorten parts that don't contribute.
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Faren » 20 Nov 2013 16:17

HMage wrote:If it's DJ-friendly version, then you shouldn't be playing lead in the intro.

If it's for home listening, start with second most interesting part (to you) right away.

The whole composition feels empty, add more. You don't have enough pads, basses, percussion and hats, throwing in some atonal sounds can be good as well.

It feels like you're not keeping them in same song key. Key change is rarest thing to happen and it's better you don't try it unless you know what you do — make sure all notes are within same key.

Lots of "filler" parts there — cut down/shorten parts that don't contribute.

Thank you for a reply.
Been thinking about filler parts. But thought it would be empty without'em. Will totally try adding more stuff instead.
The song in the same key though, basically the melody in the chorus is the same melody that plays in the intro with some minor changes :D
Thanks again for advices, gotta try'em out.
Faren

Postby itroitnyah » 20 Nov 2013 17:16

It's possible that one of the instruments (Particularly the pluck bass, if that's the section you created the thread because of) is out of tune. The sound itself just doesn't feel like it fits in with the style of music. It's like, you put this low down chillout bass pluck in with this energetic happy hoover saw synth. It's usually important to use sounds that are the same style and not miles apart. Which is strange as to why this is happening since there usually aren't any instruments in the world that are exclusive to only be played in any one genre specifically and any others are out of the question. Perhaps it's with the composition. I'm not pitch perfect so I can't tell right off the bat what scale you're playing in (I'm going to guess A minor?), but perhaps the part being out of key would be correct.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Faren » 21 Nov 2013 11:38

itroitnyah wrote:It's possible that one of the instruments (Particularly the pluck bass, if that's the section you created the thread because of) is out of tune. The sound itself just doesn't feel like it fits in with the style of music. It's like, you put this low down chillout bass pluck in with this energetic happy hoover saw synth. It's usually important to use sounds that are the same style and not miles apart. Which is strange as to why this is happening since there usually aren't any instruments in the world that are exclusive to only be played in any one genre specifically and any others are out of the question. Perhaps it's with the composition. I'm not pitch perfect so I can't tell right off the bat what scale you're playing in (I'm going to guess A minor?), but perhaps the part being out of key would be correct.

Point taken, gonna make some changes. Thanks for a respond.
P.S. You are right, it is A minor.
Faren

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice