Radio Edits?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Radio Edits?

Postby ArisingFlame » 11 Nov 2013 01:13

Simple question. This seems like the most suitable forum...
What constitutes what can and can not be said on (US) radio? From what I understand, there are even some words that both can and cannot be said on the air depending on it's context. Is there some kind of all-inclusive guide to the no-no language for public airwaves?
My first (and so far, only) pony track!
https://soundcloud.com/dj-broken-top/my-little-pony-i-have-to

I'm always open to do vocals for peoples! Sing/scream/rap, whatever it may be, I'm open!
My Solo Soundcloud - My Electronic Solo Soundcloud - My EDM Group's Soundcloud
ArisingFlame

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: My Beard

Re: Radio Edits?

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Nov 2013 06:52

Words like shit, bitch, fuck, I think slut, maybe whore, I'm not sure about cunt, erm. Here, lemme google that for you.

Faggot, nigger, hm. Well, it mostly appears that a lot of those words are just the disapproved of ones.

According to wiki, the words are shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby HMage » 11 Nov 2013 14:47

Generally, Industry is required to mark explicit lyrics, and those will not be allowed to be played on radio.

On practice, though, it's a different matter. Explicitly marked songs do get played sometimes without editing those lyrics out — depends on station and time of airplay and territory.
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Postby ArisingFlame » 11 Nov 2013 15:57

Right. I've heard words like "bitch" and such played sometimes, and not others. And it gets even more confusing when relating to drugs and alcohol
My first (and so far, only) pony track!
https://soundcloud.com/dj-broken-top/my-little-pony-i-have-to

I'm always open to do vocals for peoples! Sing/scream/rap, whatever it may be, I'm open!
My Solo Soundcloud - My Electronic Solo Soundcloud - My EDM Group's Soundcloud
ArisingFlame

Cutie Mark: My Beard

Postby S.P.P » 14 Nov 2013 04:31

In the UK, all explicit words are banned from TV and radio until the 9pm 'watershed'. After that the 'minor expletives' are allowed. Mild sexual themes are played all the time though.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby ph00tbag » 19 Nov 2013 11:34

itroitnyah wrote:According to wiki, the words are shit, piss, fuck, cunt, cocksucker, motherfucker, and tits.

This is more just one of George Carlin's more brilliant sketches than it is a hard and fast rule.

More than anything, it's up to the discretion of the DJ, based on social mores in the area they're working. As far as what constitutes "explicit lyrics," I'm not sure what gets put in there. Ethnic slurs, strong scatology, strong references to sexual acts and genitalia are usually in there. Sometimes, themes of violence, sex, and drug use are in there as well.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Nov 2013 13:51

PYR3LIGHT wrote:Mild sexual themes are played all the time though.

Take me to your leader.

I'll take mine with me.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby ChocolateChicken » 26 Nov 2013 12:41

I know you were asking about language in your post, but in regard to radio edits, the most important aspect is that the song is less than 5 minutes long. That is what constitutes a "radio edit" more than anything, an additional factor being the amended language.

Songs on the radio have to be less than 5 minutes long, preferably not much longer than 3 minutes. This is why almost every pop song in existence is less than 5 minutes.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby DerpyGrooves » 27 Nov 2013 00:41

The FCC regulates radio content, although there is NOT a list of explicitly naughty words.

That said, Frank Zappa got a "Parental Advisory" sticker for having a song on an album of instrumental jazz music called "G-Spot Tornado", so it might be best to just make your music, and fuck what the powers that be thinks. There is no rating/regulatory body for internet-published work, thank celestia.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby HMage » 27 Nov 2013 09:47

As soon as money gets involved, it becomes a different picture. :)
HMage

Primary: Ableton

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice