How do I be a Bad musician ?

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

How do I be a Bad musician ?

Postby Ben » 29 Oct 2013 17:00

I need advice on how to be a bad musician
I appreciate any responses (Those humble enough to answer)

I expect trolls
Expect to read & view opinions on ponys , music & pop culture all with my raw, uncut & cynical sense of humor. I.E. the Deadpool of the horse fandom .

My Tumblr:http://soultensionb.tumblr.com/
My skype:bejaminz410
My Genitalia:http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJQjrVr8sQwDFlVYOE6MmVg
Ben

Re: How do I be a Bad musician ?

Postby itroitnyah » 29 Oct 2013 17:05

Pirate FL. You can't make good music without FL, and that shit's expensive so don't waste money on it. Then pirate Massive. That's the only thing you're going to need to make good bass and shit. It's also expensive as balls, so don't waste money on it. Then pirate some of the vengeance club essentials packs. They have all the drums and synth one-shots you'll ever need to make good music. That shits also expensive. Good job pirating it, you've just saved yourself a good $600 or so.

Now just go and find some whatever skrillex bass presets for massive. They're the only ones that sound good. Place down some kicks and some sick wobbles, put a bass boost on the kick and bass, and then increase it as loud as you want to. Export, upload to various music hosting sites, and you're golden. Should get signed in no time.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Injustrial » 29 Oct 2013 18:07

Don't forget to use Soundgoodiser, push all the sounds to the 0 dB mark, to make the mix as loud as possible. Everybody knows that the more sound you have at the same level, the louder your mix will be. Real pros have so much expensive hardware that they are always pushing the sound above +5 dB, which is why professional masters sound so much louder than the amateur ones!

The most important part is to NEVER change your drums from kick-snare-kick-snare. That's the ONLY rhythm you should use and the drums should both be raised to 0 dB for MAXX LOUDS!
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby CDPP » 29 Oct 2013 18:14

become me

100% success rate of being bad
CDPP

Postby the4thImpulse » 29 Oct 2013 18:17

the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Injustrial » 29 Oct 2013 18:26

Use only drumroll samples and have a new one for each bar. NO REPETITION! That's what uncreative people do
Injustrial

Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Facade » 29 Oct 2013 19:13

get dr drum youll instantly be skrillex and excision
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby CitricAcid » 29 Oct 2013 20:55

Copy-paste. Copy-paste everything. Made 1-bar drum loop? Repeat it for the entire 5-minute song. Made bass line? Do the same thing. Everyone loves songs whose waveforms look like a hair comb for the entire song. The hair comb shape means that it sound good.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Stu Beef » 29 Oct 2013 22:28

No no, I wanna answer this one seriously.

Honestly, like most things it almost takes a bit of effort to truly be BAD at them, rather than just ok/whatever/meh (though to many artists "ok" is essentially THE WORST POSSIBLE THING TO BE). Plenty of people ( I do this too) like to do the thing where they barely try at something and their immediate reaction is "OH I'M SO TERRIBLE I DON'T WANNA DO THIS". I mean, yeah, of course whatever you do is gonna be shit because you aren't even really doing the thing you're trying to do. It's like dipping your toe into a pool and instantly shooting back and declaring, "oh yeah, yep, I'm an awful swimmer."

I suppose we aren't really talking about that though, we're talking about people we believe to be making some misguided effort only to end up with an OBVIOUSLY terrible product. Y'all seem to be fixated on the production side, offering up silly techniques that you probably consider tasteless, trite, etc. I'm not here to declare those unwarranted, but I think being a bad MUSICIAN is a lot more than trying to copy Skrillex (or something I guess? is that the universal objective quality for bad? I just kinda skimmed through).

I'm gonna talk about tonality, because even though it's "dead" I'm sure if you tuned into a pop station and heard some 12-tone/serialist shit you'd lose your gourd (not necessarily because you don't "get" it, but why the fuck would they play this). According to one of my theory professors, some asshole once described music as "unseen matter". If you think about it, music is probably the most abstract medium of art we've got. There isn't a whole lot of tangible stuff to go on, yet everyone seems to know when they hear it what good music is, or even what that music is trying to communicate!

Obviously it's not a god damn accident; "good" musicians are often incredibly consistent in their production of "good" music, and these days professionals are EXPECTED to be able to handle and excel in many different genres. So what makes the kid in their bedroom worse than these guys; bad even? Well, s/he's probably lacking in experience, education, resources, time, and much much more! Does that make them a bad musician...well...they are certainly probably making bad music! I'm not implying that JUST because they're young or JUST because they're not properly educated is what is causing the badness. I was certainly young and ignorant for most of my life (pretty much still am), and hell, even though I choose to listen to mostly metal and hip-hop, I can still jam out in the orchestra.

The reason that this kid doesn't know any better is because they don't know how to listen! It has nothing to do with preference of a certain style because, y'know what, the differences between most genres are almost completely negligible in a macro sense. This person hasn't built up a substantial library in their head that allows them to understand just how this shit works. And when I say listen I do mean physically with the ears and your "inner ear". How else are you supposed to read a passage and know how to play it the first time? Beethoven was pretty much deaf by the end of his life (and I mean, yeah, some of his latest works weren't the greatest) but damn, you think you could out write him? If you put this collection of sounds in the context of a piece or a key or a phrase, you have to realize that the context that they exist in dictates where they GO. In nearly all styles it's about motion/direction. If you have no understanding about what your writing is telling you (and I don't just mean do you have complete technical, descriptive knowledge of the factors that are driving your work. A lot of what I do is deliberated yes, but in a very innate/visceral way) then how could you possibly write something worthwhile?

Music should speak to you, and I don't mean in some abstract/spiritual kind of way. If you are versed in the music of whatever culture you come from, music works in pretty specific ways. I'm not gonna elaborate on that, because I don't really find it necessary for this discussion, but that is basically my point. If you can't "hear" what you're writing; if you can't in anyway understand how it works, then you are a bad musician. If you wanna sit on a shitty loop for a minute because it sounds bangin' to you, then you go off and fuck with something else well, I guess it depends how that actually ends up working out, I mean, some may call you tasteless, but if you can justify it I dunno if I could call you a bad musician (though I'd probably be inclined to call your music bad).

Now I'm worried that I made it seem like it's easy to be a good musician. No, you're still probably shitty ok. Being able to hear things is the BASIS of being a musician. People will say "yeah, fuckin duh, you listen to music asshole" but now that I'm done being super general I will say the next step (pretty much the first step) is differentiating the certain subtleties that I glossed over earlier. Ex. I have a melody here, how do I approach it, what notes are emphasized and how, if it's going to be put into the context of a certain style what am I gonna specifically do to reflect that. That's just one element, but you get the idea.

e. It's not entirely clear, but the reason I bring up tonality is because if you are in the key of Buttholeflat and you play a major buttholeflat chord and then play the dominant of that, I bet you're gonna wanna go right back to butthole because your EAR is telling you. That kind of harmonic direction is still present, even in extreme genres like metal.
Stu Beef

Postby TranquilHooves » 30 Oct 2013 22:21

This circlejerk is glorious.
Other than that, I think Stu Beef has the right idea here.
TranquilHooves

Cutie Mark: Sick Skrill Wubs™

Postby JSynth » 01 Nov 2013 09:58

If you decide to pirate massive, be sure to only use presets or sounds that Skrillex uses.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby itroitnyah » 01 Nov 2013 14:00

eery wrote:You guys really know your overrused production jokes, dont you?
We sure do. They're the only thing we're fed when we're beginners, and hence they're the only jokes we know. It's a massive cliche circle jerk.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Postby Stu Beef » 02 Nov 2013 04:42

TranquilHooves wrote:This circlejerk is glorious.
Other than that, I think Stu Beef has the right idea here.

Yeehaw! I can't wait to tell my momma how my education was all worth it, if only for this moment.
Stu Beef

Postby CitricAcid » 07 Nov 2013 15:27

Always remember that people will like your music more if you tell them how hard you worked on it, how crummy your synths are, or how cheap your mic is. Pity votes are the best votes!
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 11 Nov 2013 01:01

Disregard everything to do with music theory (basic chords and scales included), detune every sound far too much, bass boost the shit out of every kick drum, boost the 200hz range SHARPLY as far as it will go on every snare. Layer 5 different vengeance snares with an accoustic one. Compress all of them with the gain at +10 (limitted of course). Do not time your sounds at all, they need to be spastic like a five year old pressing record shitting on a midi controller, or like a highschool doucher pressing record and actually trying (the bitterness helps you be terrible. Embrace it.) limit the master. Limit everything. With the gain turned up to +10. Go ahead and use Fruity Limitter and compress it with the limiter. Try really hard to make pony music because you want to be like the Living Omni S. Hound Renardstone and use a demo version of massive only.

Then you'll make music just like I did when I was starting out! :D
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby R1der » 13 Nov 2013 10:45

Use Soundgoodizer on EVERYTHING if you have FL Studio
IN FACT: Put Soundgoodizer on EVERY track in ALL 8 Mixer Slots
R1der

Cutie Mark: Clarinet

Postby Facade » 13 Nov 2013 13:25

how to be a bad musician: be me
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby ClaviSound » 13 Nov 2013 13:52

Make sure you compress vocals until even the ambient noise between your voice is clipping, and make your breaths the loudest in the mix. Double check to make sure your instrumental varies in amplification, like this:

It's not imbalanced, it's dynamic!
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Wisp » 14 Nov 2013 09:16

Just remember the 4 S's:
Soundgoodizer
Sausage Fattener
Skrillex Wubs
Super Loud
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby JSynth » 14 Nov 2013 12:16

Remember the louder your song is, the better.
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby ph00tbag » 14 Nov 2013 19:48

Above all, avoid being so bad you're good.

That's the worst.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby Fl Brony » 17 Nov 2013 16:46

Use Chrome and Modern Talking in massive for the most heavy bass then add all 8 slots of soundgoodizer and set them to the same level. Go forth young skrillex
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby JSynth » 17 Nov 2013 17:53

You are the greatest musician ever. Everyone who critiques you is stupid.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

JSynth

Postby FLAOFEI » 17 Nov 2013 18:07

Easiest way to be a bad musician is to find some obscure part of the internet with music that's not on soundcloud or youtube yet, pirate that music, post it on youtube and soundcloud and claim it is your own stuff.

People might think you're good, but you will know you suck.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ROFLPIZZA » 18 Nov 2013 05:46

This thread is actually making me feel like a dunce. I count at least three of these practices that I use almost consistently. I had no idea!
https://soundcloud.com/alkalyne/friday

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXEU9ZaxBC7MzwyJFPxnO8Q

Alkalyne
DAWs: FL Studio and Ableton Live
Plugin Preferences: NI Massive, FM8, and Sytrus
Genre Preferences: Pretty much anything EDM

Credit for my avatar goes to Pickslide 1992 on MLR!
ROFLPIZZA

Cutie Mark: butt tattoos

Next

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice