Modern Day EDM Masterclass (a must watch)

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Modern Day EDM Masterclass (a must watch)

Postby the4thImpulse » 02 Sep 2013 14:06

This is a masterclass with David Guetta that will flat out tell you what all you need to make good modern day electronic dance music.

If you have no desire to make this sort of music then the video may offend you in which case stop watching it and go make your own kind of music.

I am putting this in composition subforum as it covers a lot of topics but most of it can be summed into composition techniques.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: Modern Day EDM Masterclass (a must watch)

Postby Acsii » 03 Sep 2013 02:01

Whoever did the panning and levels on that video is an idiot...
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby ExoBassTix » 03 Sep 2013 04:10

the4thImpulse wrote:make your own kind of music.

Pretty much this.
No matter what.

I still have to watch the thing, and I believe you that it's good and all, but in the end it'll tell you how someone else did it.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby S.P.P » 03 Sep 2013 05:50

ExoBassTix wrote:

Pretty much this.
No matter what.

I still have to watch the thing, and I believe you that it's good and all, but in the end it'll tell you how someone else did it.

I watched a masterclass on mixing ages ago (the video has since been linked here), and although he shows what HE did, it has some great tips, tracks and pointers. I think this video is the same.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby the4thImpulse » 03 Sep 2013 09:53

ExoBassTix wrote:

Pretty much this.
No matter what.

Often I've heard the quickest way to making you own kind of music is to copy the sound and style of the pros, and move on and make something new out of it.

This particular video is worth watching if you want to compete with the popular EDM.
the4thImpulse

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 03 Sep 2013 15:08

I'm putting this on my list of things to check out. Thanks for the link 4th.
Captain Ironhelm

Postby JSynth » 06 Sep 2013 19:49

I thought that this was really cool.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby ph00tbag » 06 Sep 2013 21:02

I dry-heaved when he said everything has to be side-chained, then I stopped watching.

He says some good things before that, and I'm sure some good things follow, but seriously this zealous overapplication of that effect gives me a fucking headache.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio

Postby the4thImpulse » 06 Sep 2013 21:10

ph00tbag wrote:He says some good things before that, and I'm sure some good things follow, but seriously this zealous overapplication of that effect gives me a fucking headache.

You know it doesn't always have to be an effect as large as those big room house songs. I am fairly sure even he means everything should have as little as 1 dB of gain reduction with a sidechained compressor. You don't even hear the pumping at that point it just brings out the kick (or whatever element you are sidechained too) just that little bit more.
the4thImpulse

Postby ph00tbag » 06 Sep 2013 23:23

the4thImpulse wrote:You know it doesn't always have to be an effect as large as those big room house songs. I am fairly sure even he means everything should have as little as 1 dB of gain reduction with a sidechained compressor. You don't even hear the pumping at that point it just brings out the kick (or whatever element you are sidechained too) just that little bit more.

I realize that's probably what he meant.

But the way he said it, free of qualifications, as a mode of advice for beginning producers, will not be taken in that respect. Much the same way telling a novice producer that reverb should be applied to every track that's not bass. Yes, applying minimal reverb to every track helps to bring a sense of space into the mix, and frequently proper use is all but undetectable as a consciously audible artifact, but that's not what I said to do. I just said put reverb on everything, which will be applied overmuch by a novice producer, and their mix will suffer drastically as a result.

I'm for learning to mix without any effects before you start messing around with them. Starting out with being told that you should use them on every track will distort the fundamentals.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby 3xcel » 08 Sep 2013 08:48

I find this video incredibly ironic given the fact that a large portion of Guetta's music is ghost-written for him.
Last edited by 3xcel on 12 Oct 2013 04:43, edited 1 time in total.
3xcel

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 09 Sep 2013 00:23

He didn't really say much that wasn't already common knowledge.

I suspect thats because the competition probably wasn't designed with people who're well versed in producing in mind so he was told to keep it simple.

OR David Guetta isn't a production guru by any means at all. I like the second one personally.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby the4thImpulse » 09 Sep 2013 08:50

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:He didn't really say much that wasn't already common knowledge.

Hence why I didn't title it "David guetta shares top industry secrets". But fact is some people don't know all these techniques, maybe they've heard most of it, maybe they've heard none of it, this is for those that don't know.
the4thImpulse

Postby Captain Ironhelm » 09 Sep 2013 13:00

finally got around to watching it. . . all excellent advice, which I would recommend to anybody that's getting into producing EDM. I like the way he works.
Captain Ironhelm

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice