Idiomatic creativity, TVTropes and Stanley Kubrick

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Idiomatic creativity, TVTropes and Stanley Kubrick

Postby DerpyGrooves » 14 Aug 2013 15:23

Stanley Kubrick was one of the greatest American directors of all time. Almost every film he ever made was near the pinnacle of that film's genre. You can't talk about horror without mentioning the Shining, or science fiction without talking about 2001: A Space Odyssey. Dr. Stangelove is commonly considered one of the funniest, darkest films ever made. Can we apply his creative process to music?

I would like to point your attention to an unfinished project of his, one of his most infamous. Napoleon. During the pre-production of the film, he had his staff meticulously create a card catalog cross referencing, day by day, the entirety of Napoleon's life. At the time, it was the most complete, explicit bringing together of Napoleon-era history ever. This was a distillation of literally hundreds of books.

The same story exists for his other films. For The Shining, not only did he know the source material backwards and forwards, but he had his staff compile just about every ghost story ever, giving them the same treatment. When you watch The Shining, every shot is a culmination of that idiomatic knowledge, and the final product shows that influence explicitly.

It is my belief that, as a creative tool, TVTropes is the spiritual successor to Kubrick's card catalogs. A trot through the music page is something that, at least for myself, tends to result in a creativity spike. Obviously, this is not a place for technical discussion or even for hard theory, but to provide an organized, unified look at the ingrained language of modern music. Is there a musician you dig? Type em in and mash search. It's a super enlightening exercise.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Idiomatic creativity, TVTropes and Stanley Kubrick

Postby itroitnyah » 14 Aug 2013 15:58

I took a look at this. Gotta say, in my opinion it really looks a lot like they took subjects out of the blue and had guys in their mid 20's write down the descriptions. For some of the information written down, anyways.

Other than that, this is pretty neato, I guess if you want to idk, do what you said that you do. You can also tell that bronies have been there, haha. You can see DJ Alex S and Omnipony in the Genres > Electronic > Dubstep section.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice