Ask Grooves Anything (About Music)

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: Ask Grooves Anything (About Music)

Postby DerpyGrooves » 16 Aug 2013 12:34

Made a new thread for business questions here.

Keep the questions coming!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby ExoBassTix » 17 Aug 2013 09:47

Why do DJs try to (and are even oftentimes encouraged to) put as many tracks in a mix as possible, shortening the tracks a lot? I honestly don't know why people prefer that.

EDIT - only one reason I can cone up with, that shouldn't make sense. Do the DJs do it to show off their skills? If yes, and I really don't know, isn't it true that DJ skills =/= happy crowd necessarily, and that the crowd's enjoyment is more important than showing you got serious DJ skills?
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Freewave » 17 Aug 2013 15:40

ExoBassTix wrote:Why do DJs try to (and are even oftentimes encouraged to) put as many tracks in a mix as possible, shortening the tracks a lot? I honestly don't know why people prefer that.

EDIT - only one reason I can cone up with, that shouldn't make sense. Do the DJs do it to show off their skills? If yes, and I really don't know, isn't it true that DJ skills =/= happy crowd necessarily, and that the crowd's enjoyment is more important than showing you got serious DJ skills?

You kind of answered your own question. They want to show off the skills they have as dj's and more mixing, more tracks played does do that. Many dj's do have musical A.D.D. and want to get to the next track quicker if they can. How much of they time they have in a set is important. If i was going to perform a set at a bronycon a 20 min set would seem AWFULLY short to play tracks anywhere near in full. That would be different if i was playing an all night gig for 4 hrs where spreading out the music and patience are more key.

A good dj hopefully won't sacrifice momentum and cutting off important breakdowns and middle sections to achieve the quick mix. Most pro will dj's mix from the into and outro and not via the middle sections breakdowns unless that track isn't doing particularly well to the cowd or it's overtly long or a good transition will work better. Most good dj's will have the patience to pull off a set that's a well thought out voyage and not a maze of quick changes (unless that's their style AND they are good at pulling that off).
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby DerpyGrooves » 18 Aug 2013 22:32

Freewave wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:Why do DJs try to (and are even oftentimes encouraged to) put as many tracks in a mix as possible, shortening the tracks a lot? I honestly don't know why people prefer that.

You kind of answered your own question. They want to show off the skills they have as dj's and more mixing, more tracks played does do that. Many dj's do have musical A.D.D. and want to get to the next track quicker if they can. How much of they time they have in a set is important. If i was going to perform a set at a bronycon a 20 min set would seem AWFULLY short to play tracks anywhere near in full. That would be different if i was playing an all night gig for 4 hrs where spreading out the music and patience are more key.

A good dj hopefully won't sacrifice momentum and cutting off important breakdowns and middle sections to achieve the quick mix. Most pro will dj's mix from the into and outro and not via the middle sections breakdowns unless that track isn't doing particularly well to the cowd or it's overtly long or a good transition will work better. Most good dj's will have the patience to pull off a set that's a well thought out voyage and not a maze of quick changes (unless that's their style AND they are good at pulling that off).

This is a super analysis. Thanks friend!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Previous

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice