The Art of Equivalent Exchange

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

The Art of Equivalent Exchange

Postby DerpyGrooves » 01 Aug 2013 18:22

I’ve recently been meditating on the exceedingly popular song “Call Me Maybe" by Carly Rae Jepsen, a song which you’ve likely heard ad nauseaum, unless you’ve actively been living under a rock for the past year. Allow me some context:

The song…

…was the best-selling single worldwide in 2012, selling over 10 million copies in that year alone, and the best-selling single on the iTunes Store in 2012.

…had worldwide sales of over 13 million copies as of May 2013, making it the best-selling digital single of 2012, and is also one of the best-selling digital singles and one of the best-selling singles of all time.

…Was named SONG OF THE YEAR by MTV.

Obviously, this is a tune well-forged, designed for mass appeal and greatness. Now what my intention is, is to try and reverse engineer the song a bit, to peel back the oniony layers of the tune to see if we can’t divine what made it great.

A lot of people would like say it was Jepsen herself, although I think it’s clear she’s at best a mediocre vocalist. All things considered, she probably could have farted over the song and it would have still been a number one.

Then what was the secret? Was it something in the production, or the harmonies, or the tune? Not at all. The production was, honestly, a little rough all things considered, being quite muddy around the higher frequencies, and from a songwriting standpoint nothing seems exceedingly special. Just four chords repeating, all things considered. that said, I have a particular theory as to why it went from just another pretty melody to one of the greatest songs of 2012.

Anyone who has watched Fullmetal Alchemist can describe to you, in detail, the idea of equivalent exchange. This is described in the following quote:

“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy’s first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world’s one, and only truth."

— Alphonse Elric

With that in mind, let’s just take a walk through the song.

After a short pickup, the verse melody begins, and proceeds in the most sublimely boring way imaginable. Literally two notes, with a short pentatonic figure at the end of every phrase. It’s entirely formulaic, super homogenized pop bullshit, but the sheer volume of suckitude present in the verse is transformed through the art of alchemy into the equivalent volume of kickassness in the chorus, and the chorus hits you like a fucking truck. I know several people personally who have reported being rendered breathless the first time they heard that chorus, and I am convinced it is one of the greatest choruses in all of pop music, not because it’s implicitly well-designed, but because of the poetic exchange between the static, boring verses and the dynamic, rocking chorus.

This same device can be found in a lot of the best music, from Daft Punk’s Get Lucky to Nirvana’s Smells like Teen Spirit. The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another, and there MUST be a significant exchange of power if a song is to have any drive. This is something ESSENTIAL to keep in mind for all songwriters, and is as important to good music as composition is to good art. If you don’t have composition, all the anatomy and perspective in the world mean jack shit. And if your song lacks dynamic flow and makes use of this primal alchemy, what you have is a stagnant melody that neither technique nor charisma will ever repair. This is the energy that flows through all things. Sound means nothing without silence. Keep this in mind.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: The Art of Equivalent Exchange

Postby Magnitude Zero » 01 Aug 2013 18:50

DerpyGrooves wrote:It’s entirely formulaic, super homogenized pop bullshit, but the sheer volume of suckitude present in the verse is transformed through the art of alchemy into the equivalent volume of kickassness in the chorus, and the chorus hits you like a fucking truck. I know several people personally who have reported being rendered breathless the first time they heard that chorus, and I am convinced it is one of the greatest choruses in all of pop music, not because it’s implicitly well-designed, but because of the poetic exchange between the static, boring verses and the dynamic, rocking chorus.

I've noticed something similar, not necessarily in song structure but specific elements. It happens to be one of the main driving forces behind a lot of my own composition; that is, finding the balance between dragging out the "buildup" or minor verses to give a chorus or climax of the song a bigger "umph" and not letting the song grow stale. Go 4/5 of a song without drums and then drop a rock beat near the end, for example, can be an immensely powerful technique if you can keep the listener interested that long and the change isn't too jarring. Or, if you want to use drums, you can hold off on a strong snare until the last chorus - up until then, use a harder hihat or a tambourine or just a weak-sounding snare. Keeping in mind little techniques like this is a great way to add progression to your song and give the impression that it's evolving.

Nice observations, you've given me something to think about. :P
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Stars In Autumn » 01 Aug 2013 19:25

I'm... not sure I'd use a quote from FMA to explain it, but you are correct in saying that the gap in energy from the verse to the chorus has a huge impact. Pop has always been about the chorus.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby DerpyGrooves » 01 Aug 2013 19:38

Stars In Autumn wrote:I'm... not sure I'd use a quote from FMA to explain it, but you are correct in saying that the gap in energy from the verse to the chorus has a huge impact. Pop has always been about the chorus.

TBH, I've never actually watched Fullmetal Alchemist, but I remember reading about Equivalent Exchange in an alchemical reference I read once, and the quote seemed applicable. Super true though. I think the idea, physically, is that energy is finite within a musical composition, and in order for it to be added in one place, it must be similarly subtracted from another.

BTW it was way nice seeing you at everfree 1?!?!
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby the4thImpulse » 01 Aug 2013 20:46

Meanwhile in commercialized electronic music..

https://soundcloud.com/daleri/epic-mashleg

That's 16 songs that all follow the same structure and style. This style and these songs covered the top ten Beatport lists for a long time. Its the same 'pop' thing that just works, even though it has no soul behind it.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 01 Aug 2013 22:06

DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

holy crap this is my new favorite music related quote o:
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby itroitnyah » 01 Aug 2013 22:31

I wasn't quite aware that this was any sort of secret...

Anyways, I often enjoy a song a lot more if both the chorus and the verse are really well done. A lot of what you listed about the verse and chorus in CMM is opinion. I think that the verses for that song are pretty neat. Melodies and chords don't need to be complex to be good, they can be basic and simple and still be catchy and good. I don't think that CRJ is that bad of a singer either. Perhaps it may be because I'm using my cheap headphones, but I'll take a listen to the song on my studio monitors in the morning and see what I think.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 01 Aug 2013 22:33

itroitnyah wrote:
I wasn't quite aware that this was any sort of secret...

it really wasn't but a lot of people over look it so I'm glad he's pointing it out.
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Alycs » 02 Aug 2013 12:30

Really all that is mentioned here are just examples of Melodic, Harmonic, and rhythmic contrast. Its not at all new. It has literally been around since people figured out how to write down music. The foundations of Baroque music (polyphonic counterpoint) is all about doing stuff like this. Seeing as early clavier instruments were not able to produce large dynamic ranges and didn't have enough keys to add more than four or five octaves; all the character and song flow had to be controlled by adding more chords, voices, and rhythms.

Even after the invention of the forte-piano and the iron body, almost all single-instrument songs used your "Equivalent Exchange" principle. The Rondo form almost perfectly mimics it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-MdK4nZijk (Third Movement)

The Equivalent exchange is also the entire basis of the Romantic tempo Rubato which, contrary to what a lot of beginning piano players believe, does NOT mean just play it however you want. A piece played with Rubato should take EXACTLY the same amount of time beginning to end as if you was played with a metronome. The basis of Rubato is to allow the ebb and flow of music reflect nature (the reflection of nature is the root and heart of Romantic music) and for every slow movement, there has to be a faster one in return.

Seeing as the pop chorus-verse form didn't exactly come until recently, its hard to give exact parallels, but the overall principle has been around for centuries; the contrast and variation within a piece while still keeping cohesiveness is one of the most important parts of any composition; pop, electronic, classical or otherwise.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Freewave » 02 Aug 2013 13:21

What a lot of you guys are missing is a dance-pop song but done with mostly synthetic strings. (not miles away from Elanor Rigby). That's not very common at all and w/o those strings (say a guitar instead) it wouldn't really stick out from the rest of the pack. Its both completely pop but almost a little classy with that addition. As people said that chorus is the hook, it's the key. It's all about building up through the verses to that blissful chorus; a moment of simple sing-a-long that gets ingrained in the brain.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Alycs » 02 Aug 2013 14:22

The strings definitely make it unique for its genre, but I think that the song itself could probably have been done without them and still have the same drive behind it. They certainly made the song easier to recognize and stand out, and they gave it a very different feel than the traditional, but I think the OP is correct to identify the contrast of the song as the thing that made it such an effective and infuriatingly catchy pop song.
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice