Robert Fripp: "The Art of Craft"

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Robert Fripp: "The Art of Craft"

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 10:17

If music is quality organised in sound, the musician has three approaches towards it: through sound, through organisation, or through quality.

The apprentice will approach the sound, the craftsperson will approach the organisation of sound, and the master musician approaches music through its quality.

That is, the master musician works from silence, organises the silence, and places sound between the silence.

Link.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Re: Robert Fripp: "The Art of Craft"

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 31 Jul 2013 17:48

In before nobody on here is old enough to know who Robert Fripp actually is.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 31 Jul 2013 17:54

who is robert fripp
Nine Volt

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2013 17:59

"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Alycs » 31 Jul 2013 18:00

Really the only reason I know him is because my dad really likes British rock and he occasionally plays King Crimson. (And because he loved David Bowies "Scary Monsters and Super Creeps" and hes on the little back cover thing that I read when I was bored on car trips)

As to the actual advice, I have to agree that it is very solid advise (especially the part on how you should practice practicing). While it was a very nice read, I'm not sure if I agree on the practice of building on habit. There is a certain level of reflex needed to play music, especially contemporary or baroque, which relies so much on single handed polyphony that its folly to try to play it without a bit of muscle memory, but I've also found that its usually better to be consciously aware of what you are doing when you are performing - in a concert setting especially, muscle memory is almost always the first thing to go if you get nervous; but a certain level of intellectual mastery allows you to continue performing regardless.

Other than that, I found it a very good read, though most of the information is nothing especially new (just nicely worded and arranged)
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Re: Robert Fap: "The Art of Craft"

Postby itroitnyah » 31 Jul 2013 18:01

*Philosophical statement regarding "The Art of Craft"*
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 31 Jul 2013 18:06

Also, this is geared very much to the guitarist in the later sections (though as a pianist (and other clavier instruments), flutist, and violinist and a few other instruments besides; I have to say that much of the advise does apply to other instruments in terms of finger dexterity)

For pianists (its my main instrument so its the only one I can really offer solid advise with), I'd advise looking at the Isidore Philipp Exercises for the Independence of the Fingers. It goes over much of the same things as the guide, but for piano. (It doesn't have the little confidence boosters, though)
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice