Orchestral Music

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

Re: Orchestral Music

Postby S.A.S.Falcon » 18 Sep 2012 09:38

I would probably go into a rant on this, but Makkon's already done it.
So I'll settle with 'this thread...kinda hurt...'
I guess I'm still a fledgling musician, having only started making ANYTHING music related not even 6 months ago (with absolutely no experience with theory work). And the only experience I've had with orchestral stuff is through some sets of tracks that I enjoy listening to.
My Youtube channel
My Soundcloud (this is more used for sharing small WIPs)
S.A.S.Falcon

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Clef

Postby Stu Beef » 18 Sep 2012 15:11

Reading through the responses, I'll pretty much have to refer to what has already been said. I apologize if what I said earlier came off as, well...assholish basically. I don't mean to assert that whatever I believe is unquestionably true; I just saw a topic with opinions that I seemed to agree with and wanted to offer my own thoughts on. It hadn't crossed my mind that the experience of people on here might not be a question of intent but of privilege. I'm used to observing those with a wealth of resources waste time and potential because they have little to no ambition or guidance (not saying anything about anyone here; just personal experiences).

I hope we are all of the understanding that this discussion is happening because of music's importance; not just on a personal level, but on a cultural level. I see music as a tool of human culture; a stamp that is as clear as the name of a city or a date on a calender. The musician is an expert on an idea; someone who has immersed themselves so fully that, whenever they communicate a message, they do so with absolute certainty. I'm only willing to use the term musician as an indicator of myself and others because it is something I would consider a legitimate title: it's a profession, and in some cases a life style. But for me it goes far beyond just a job description. There's a sort of moral obligation that goes in hand with the power and freedom allowed by this form of communication/expression. When you compose/perform a piece you are championing some kind of idea. Misrepresenting that in any way could be offensive; just like how the idea itself that you are communicating can be offensive or otherwise taken negatively. That's my big problem, and it is a personal thing. Sometimes I just dislike what a person is saying or how they say it. I hate putting it in a condescending way, or sounding like I'm just trying to belittle people, but I can't hope to get where I want to be unless I can say what I believe with some kind of authority. That said, I'm still learning too. I wasn't born in a situation where these attitudes were handed to me. I've developed them over time through what I've been told and what I've concluded through my own analysis.

I hope this thread can move on to actually helping people out. I really just wanted to make it clear how I feel and why, and that I didn't mean to be unnecessarily elitist in my earlier post.
Stu Beef

Postby Docinterlude » 09 Nov 2013 09:40

You forgot to mention the Eras of the orchestra. Orchestra had Eras on how it evolved. The evolution of instruments... The Trombone was not in the orchestra until Romantism. So wasn't Harp. Piccolo is part of the orchestra as second or third choice, so is the bass Clarinet after Romantism.
I am composing a few songs:

Deep Emotions: Piano, Bass Clarinet and Trumpet in Bb. (Started)
Docinterlude

Primary: Sibelius 7, Reaper
Cutie Mark: Piano and Composition

Postby Alycs » 09 Nov 2013 14:39

Dude, this thread is over a year old... most of the people who were commenting here don't even get on the forum anymore
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Docinterlude » 09 Nov 2013 14:44

Alycs wrote:Dude, this thread is over a year old... most of the people who were commenting here don't even get on the forum anymore

I didn't even notice that! :lol:
I am composing a few songs:

Deep Emotions: Piano, Bass Clarinet and Trumpet in Bb. (Started)
Docinterlude

Primary: Sibelius 7, Reaper
Cutie Mark: Piano and Composition

Postby JSynth » 28 Nov 2013 10:52

I don't mind the necro. It's been really nice reading through some of it. Orchestral has been one thing that I have always wanted to learn.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby HMage » 29 Nov 2013 15:47

When in doubt, add more saxophone.

Always works.