I can't teach you how to think...

From scales and semitones to pentatonics and cadence patterns. It's all about the science behind the expression, here.

I can't teach you how to think...

Postby rebel2122 » 14 Sep 2014 23:09

The most important thing is that you know what the software actually is, and how it works. If you do know how something actually works then you cannot react to it properly, and your interpretation is limited therefore you cannot use it to full potential. What is a D.A.W.? A digital Audio workstation? it is a software that organizes sounds and effects with those sounds. SO it is entirely electronic, and that means each sound comes from a system of zeros and ones. Although it seems it has analogue effects it is actually digital. It cannot produce a natural sign wave. Very, very close, but unless it's specifically a computer that does a sign wave: it is actually in hz. You know project rate? Have you ever made a sine wave, and saved it at the lowest quality you could find? It turns into another wave... because digital cannot do curves. It is algebra not calculus. they are dotted un-curved lines close up. SO interpret at will.

Secondly, what is Midi? Musical instrument digital interface? It is yet again sounds and effects. With midi it is silent... it's an interface not an instrument. You need other files for the midi to actually make sound. these are called sound fonts. how does one make a sound font? either the sounds are all the same, and the font is going to have the same wave and effect throughout all the notes, or you can put it into a synth to where you can choose the waves and effects you use. Interpret at will.

It is said every song has a typical order in the parts of the song, and a particular set of parts to a song to make it a hit. Each song has a bass, a percussion, a melody, and accompaniment. The sections of the song go: an introduction which introduces all the instruments slowly, a chorus which is in dubstep a drop, a verse which sometimes is a repeat of the intro but with all the instruments together this time rather then introducing them, another chorus which is relative to the first, another verse relative to the first, then a bridge which is a new part altogether to switch it up, then chorus verse chorus verse but with more volume and some extra sound added.then outro. the outro is letting go of all the instruments. sometimes it's one note. This is all theory though, and there are many songs which have deviated from it. But pop wise; there ya' go.

So now you know the structure, what midi is, what daw is, and you can use all of them individually. You can use multiple daws such as long as the same tempo is there. you can use live instruments with a midi, and then a synth with midi, and drum machine, and etc. etc.

But that's just as far as I know, because I am not the executive of apple or windows or linux here. I can tell you that if your files are saves with a computer with a bad processor: it can corrupt those files. These are tiny codes here. Zeros and ones. so when you save alot of things in one file space: some computers sacrifice some of those zeros and ones to keep room. and if you have a bad processor then maybe a zero or one or a few are missed when you're loading it onto there.
rebel2122

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: I can't teach you how to think...

Postby itroitnyah » 15 Sep 2014 05:48

Well I suppose this is a relatively good guide on what a DAW is, albeit it could be written better.

I can tell you that if your files are saves with a computer with a bad processor: it can corrupt those files. These are tiny codes here. Zeros and ones. so when you save alot of things in one file space: some computers sacrifice some of those zeros and ones to keep room. and if you have a bad processor then maybe a zero or one or a few are missed when you're loading it onto there.

Lol. You mean a harddrive. A processor just processes things the computer is doing. If you have a bad processor, your computer is going to crash a lot. It also wouldn't remove any data from a project file unless it's a compressed file, which as far as I can tell there aren't any compressible project files. Also, harddrive again. The harddrive would have a bad disk and not write all the data out properly.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Stuntddude » 15 Sep 2014 19:26

rebel2122 wrote:It cannot produce a natural sign wave. Very, very close, but unless it's specifically a computer that does a sign wave: it is actually in hz.

You mean sine wave, and this is a poor way to explain things because a digital signal can generally come closer to a perfect sine wave than what an analogue device could generate, anyways. Also, "it is actually in hz" makes no sense. Hz (hertz) is a measurement of cycles per second, usually to refer to the frequency of a wave, but also in reference to processor cycles, etc. It doesn't have anything to do with what type of wave it is, only the frequency.

rebel2122 wrote:It is said every song has a typical order in the parts of the song, and a particular set of parts to a song to make it a hit.

None of this is widely accepted, though, and the vast majority of songs don't follow that one structure.

rebel2122 wrote:But that's just as far as I know, because I am not the executive of apple or windows or linux here.

Operation systems have nothing to do with how well someone can use a DAW. I have no idea where you're trying to go with this. Also, Apple is a company, while Windows is a brand of operating system and Linux is a single operating system.

rebel2122 wrote:so when you save alot of things in one file space: some computers sacrifice some of those zeros and ones to keep room. and if you have a bad processor then maybe a zero or one or a few are missed when you're loading it onto there.

This is not at all how file compression works. First off, if you run out of space on your hard drive, your computer isn't going to start compressing your files to save space. If you want to do that you'll have to do it yourself. More importantly, as far as I'm aware, no DAW uses compressed project files anyway, since they're usually too small and uncompressible for it to be worth it. And if they did, then it wouldn't have anything to do with file corruption. That can generally only result one of two ways - either there's a software bug in a program that causes it to save or parse a file incorrectly, or your hard drive physically fails and reads or writes a bit wrong. Neither of those have anything to do with the processor, and neither have to do with "missing some ones or zeroes or ones while loading it onto there".
Notebook Memories, the debut album from yours truly, is currently up on my bandcamp for free. Any feedback, encouragement, hate mail, etc. is highly appreciated! Even just listening is pretty cool of you tbh.
eery wrote:Next gen gaming: Just fucking get a dog.
Stuntddude

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: { }

Postby eery » 15 Sep 2014 20:36

What is your point

Also, thats not how digital interpolation works, you wooden table.
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Return to Composition and Music Theory Advice