The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

It is very important that you pay attention to this forum.

Where should the funds from the upcoming Balloon Party go?

Poll ended at 11 Mar 2014 18:16

Charity
26
53%
Cons
23
47%
 
Total votes : 49

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Guthey » 16 Mar 2014 10:17

Evdog wrote:
Guthey wrote:What's a balloon party? Sorry, I'm new to this.

Around June 2012, a Pinkie Pie themed album, titled "Balloon Party - 100% No Feeble Cheering" (that's a parody of the title "Knife Party - 100% No Modern Talking"), was released by the community. The money raised from that was put toward getting fellow musicians to come to BronyCon, particularly ones who couldn't afford to make it there out of their own pocket. There were ~150 tracks submitted and 45 (if I remember correctly) were chosen for the release, and a lot of people, not exactly sure how many though, got to go.

A year later, a Rainbow Dash themed sequel album was released titled "Rainbow & Rooted - Four's Fall Down" (In retrospect, I think "Are-D - Coolness Overdose '97" would have been a more awesome title). This chat is talking about the third one in the series, which is Twilight Sparkle themed, and hasn't been released, or even written, yet.

Hope that clears things up :wink:


Yes, it sure did, thanks for the clarification. I just wondered into this forum and noticed all the heated debating about a balloon party.
Skype: Chad.Leazion
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
User avatar
Guthey
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 22 Sep 2013 23:55
Location: California
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Freewave » 16 Mar 2014 11:53

So guys there's been a fair amount of activity behind the scenes for this. As shown the vote for making this a charity album that's NOT directed to musicians was the winner. That's going to stand. There are no plans to unite those different visions at this time despite some further talk of such. I will say while I'm not personally happy with the current direction of this next event not helping musicians, it IS going forth and will still be affiliated through mlr. I won't be directly involved through this event, but Circuitfry will again be heading this up a third time, along with Kyoga as mlr's direct representative. I have confidence that he can make this a great event album with quality music from around the community. I hope people can volunteer and support it if they are interested in helping a very good cause as I'm sure they will want the same enthusiasm and participation to make this one of the community's biggest events that we've come to expect. Hopefully this can be on par with past BP albums and a whole batch of new and older musicians can make their mark on it. :smile:
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Image
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
User avatar
Freewave
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: 29 Nov 2011 12:33
Location: Denver
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Guthey » 16 Mar 2014 14:11

Will there be an update for when it is officially going on?
Skype: Chad.Leazion
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
User avatar
Guthey
 
Posts: 210
Joined: 22 Sep 2013 23:55
Location: California
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Injustrial » 16 Mar 2014 15:17

Guthey wrote:Will there be an update for when it is officially going on?


Trust me, you'll get to know ;)
Image
User avatar
Injustrial
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 19:09
Location: Norway
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby AyaneFukumi » 16 Mar 2014 16:03

Is it only going to be a dubstep album?
https://soundcloud.com/ayane-fukumi/santisima-virgen-maria-hardtek-for-dummies-ayane-fukumis-sick-as-balls-remix

Hey doctor I think I might be a homosexual
How can you tell?
RRAAIINBOOWS

Suiseiseki is best desu
User avatar
AyaneFukumi
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Oct 2013 22:01
Location: Santa Rosa, California, United States
OS: Windows 8 (Wish it was XP :c)
Primary: FL 10/11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ExoBassTix » 16 Mar 2014 17:28

I guess they only stand with their decision because there are three important people in the organization (Freewave, Circuitfry and Kyoga, afaik), and it's 2 against 1.
Stubborn + stubborn > stubborn.

However sad I am with what this album will become, I'm gonna put it aside and see what's to happen.

@Ayane, no.
Image
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
User avatar
ExoBassTix
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 28 Mar 2013 13:01
Location: The Dutch white waters
OS: Windows 7 x64 / iPhone 6S iOS9.3.1
Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby AyaneFukumi » 16 Mar 2014 20:21

ExoBassTix wrote:I guess they only stand with their decision because there are three important people in the organization (Freewave, Circuitfry and Kyoga, afaik), and it's 2 against 1.
Stubborn + stubborn > stubborn.

However sad I am with what this album will become, I'm gonna put it aside and see what's to happen.

@Ayane, no.



To me balloon party was like the popular music album and Pinkamena party was the underground core album. But that's just me.
https://soundcloud.com/ayane-fukumi/santisima-virgen-maria-hardtek-for-dummies-ayane-fukumis-sick-as-balls-remix

Hey doctor I think I might be a homosexual
How can you tell?
RRAAIINBOOWS

Suiseiseki is best desu
User avatar
AyaneFukumi
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Oct 2013 22:01
Location: Santa Rosa, California, United States
OS: Windows 8 (Wish it was XP :c)
Primary: FL 10/11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Mar 2014 02:00

Brad Bird - The Incredibles, Ratatouille, The Iron Giant, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - has something to say that is very relevant to you guys.

Spoiler Professional artist experience:
Image
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ExoBassTix » 17 Mar 2014 02:25

@Ayane, popular music =/= Dubstep. Dubstep might be popular, but not all popular music is Dubstep :P

@ChocolateChicken, Michael Giacchino did The Incredibles and Ratatouille though. Thanks a lot for the nice text though.
Image
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
User avatar
ExoBassTix
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 28 Mar 2013 13:01
Location: The Dutch white waters
OS: Windows 7 x64 / iPhone 6S iOS9.3.1
Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby AyaneFukumi » 17 Mar 2014 10:54

ExoBassTix wrote:@Ayane, popular music =/= Dubstep. Dubstep might be popular, but not all popular music is Dubstep :P


Regardless, breakcore isn't there x3
https://soundcloud.com/ayane-fukumi/santisima-virgen-maria-hardtek-for-dummies-ayane-fukumis-sick-as-balls-remix

Hey doctor I think I might be a homosexual
How can you tell?
RRAAIINBOOWS

Suiseiseki is best desu
User avatar
AyaneFukumi
 
Posts: 133
Joined: 16 Oct 2013 22:01
Location: Santa Rosa, California, United States
OS: Windows 8 (Wish it was XP :c)
Primary: FL 10/11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Freewave » 17 Mar 2014 13:07

They'll let you know what the theme and direction of the album is when its ready guys. Some of us mods and admins had a VERY long drawn out discussion and its interesting to see that even with this initially agreed to be a Twilight themed album last year that that might not even be something they want (let along focus "needing" to be pony at all). It's interesting to see just how much my own views of this fandom and the music differ from those who have been here longer but don't make mlp music anymore. Hopefully those differences aren't wedges. Suffice to say i think we'd like to see people make the best music they know how to make and not limit them creatively but still challenge them. Either way, stay tuned...
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Image
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
User avatar
Freewave
 
Posts: 3192
Joined: 29 Nov 2011 12:33
Location: Denver
OS: Windows 7
Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ExoBassTix » 17 Mar 2014 16:49

Not necessarily pony, did I read that right?
So, instead of pony remakes of known albums, it'll be normal remakes of known albums with a Mane-6 mascotte?
If that happens, will FiMMusic still be rooting for it?

Will everybody just go "pony in name only?"
Image
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
User avatar
ExoBassTix
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 28 Mar 2013 13:01
Location: The Dutch white waters
OS: Windows 7 x64 / iPhone 6S iOS9.3.1
Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Callenby » 17 Mar 2014 17:48

Freewave wrote:They'll let you know what the theme and direction of the album is when its ready guys. Some of us mods and admins had a VERY long drawn out discussion and its interesting to see that even with this initially agreed to be a Twilight themed album last year that that might not even be something they want (let along focus "needing" to be pony at all).

This worries me just a bit. I was quite interested in the original concept for the album. Well, hopefully still be just as uniting and inspiring for the community (and not just the musicians, mind), since I think that's one of the most important parts of this whole thing.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
User avatar
Callenby
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 09 Nov 2012 01:48
Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Mar 2014 18:49

Ponies and great music with ponies in it are what brought us together in the first place and we are all pony fans here. Making this music album a pony music album is what makes it special and unique. No song or album ever NEEDS to be pony, but it's a cute and fun thing to do and definitely inspires us all and reminds us of the show that we've all come to know and love.

Plus this album is being generated by the pony community, so there's that detail to keep in mind.
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Callenby » 17 Mar 2014 20:06

ChocolateChicken wrote:Ponies and great music with ponies in it are what brought us together in the first place and we are all pony fans here. Making this music album a pony music album is what makes it special and unique. No song or album ever NEEDS to be pony, but it's a cute and fun thing to do and definitely inspires us all and reminds us of the show that we've all come to know and love.

Plus this album is being generated by the pony community, so there's that detail to keep in mind.

Seconded.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
User avatar
Callenby
 
Posts: 471
Joined: 09 Nov 2012 01:48
Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby AutomaticJack » 18 Mar 2014 03:45

Navron wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:And next to that, why the frick not. This forum is about friendship, and how better to improve friendly bonds than by meeting up?


Maybe back in 2012, when all the musicians actually stuck together. Nowadays we've got out own music cliques and a whole bunch of e-famous musicians that won't bother to hang out with us, "lesser subscribed simpletons."

I don't really vote for either. I feel these albums have done nothing but create a further divide amonst the music community. Plus, the sad truth is that the money has to have some sort of priority funding, and I can't see the funding covering a relatively unknown artist as long as there's bigger names on the waiting list.

I don't think it should be for a general charity either. I don't want the great community efforts like Smile! or Seeds of Kindness being lumped in with the generally one-sided popularity contests that have been the past albums.

Perhaps if we had a more fair judging system that's less vague on their quality standards AND only allowed people who are actually active in the music community to participate? I'm personally sick of seeing big names breaking off from their stretch of doing non-pony music and ZERO participation in the brony community to suddenly rise from the grave and write their one pony song for this annual album, then request funds to go to a convention so they can bask in their own glory and ignore all the other musicians.


First off, lemme say that you are my new hero. A bold-ass statement like this is my kind of AWESOME =3

Second, lemme say that the thing I think is most responsible for driving groups of Brony musicians to form cliques and sub groups is the sheer number of us, plus the fact that we are generally ALL distantly connected... by SKYPE. Back in the day, before Skype, I was in the IRC ALL THE FUCKING TIME. It was great, a little clunky compared to modern IM and shit, but so what? You could leave mail if it was REALLY important, and you could even PM if you needed to. I never been a big fan of communicating via forum, so the IRC was PERFECT.

Then along came Skype, that gigantic chatroom in the sky, and a MILLION groups of which I constantly find myself knowing less and less people in. I'm still there, because I don't WANT to be divided from my fellow Brony musicians, but in reality it's much more enjoyable to be in a smaller group with people you DO.

I would love to be able to know and talk to EVERY SINGLE BRONY MUSICIAN, but the reality is that this is not possible. When I joined these forums there were around 300+ members registered here. Have a look and see how many there are now 0.o

I agree with the idea of not letting those who aren't active in the community collect on the fund, but if they're well known, their name will help draw attention to it, and the album needs that. The difficulty would be in deciding who qualifies and who doesn't.

Lastly, I agree that the aim of the album as well as the quality standards are not as clear as they should be. I like the idea of theme-ing the albums around the Mane 6 (and hopefully beyond), but I think the idea of "The music should be like this because [INSERT PONY NAME HERE] is like this" is very limiting, and often not strictly observed. There were tracks on RnR that weren't all that fast. There were tracks on Balloon party that weren't all that hard. And that's prolly a good thing, because a hard album alienates the community members who don't like it hard, both listeners AND producers.

My ideal layout for the album would be simply to have songs written ABOUT, or with samples taken from (cause I FUCKING LOOOOVE my samplework >=3) said Pony. This is a Twilight Album? The aim better not be on technical/complex/long entries, because what!? Hard to fulfill, unless you already write long and technical tracks.

I could go on and on, but fuck that, I'm tired. Stoked for this album no matter what, but limitations WILL be broken. They always have =P
Pride can be wounded. Swagger is INVINCIBLE..
[The Factory] -- [The Showroom] -- [The Catalog]
DAW: FL Studio 11, Adobe Audition 1.5
Current Project: Too many to name!!! =P
Status: ???
Image
User avatar
AutomaticJack
 
Posts: 74
Joined: 13 Jan 2012 00:08
Location: PDX, Oregon
OS: Windows 7
Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Master of all things Rhythmic

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ExoBassTix » 18 Mar 2014 09:09

AutomaticJack wrote:Lastly, I agree that the aim of the album as well as the quality standards are not as clear as they should be. I like the idea of theme-ing the albums around the Mane 6 (and hopefully beyond), but I think the idea of "The music should be like this because [INSERT PONY NAME HERE] is like this" is very limiting, and often not strictly observed. There were tracks on RnR that weren't all that fast. There were tracks on Balloon party that weren't all that hard. And that's prolly a good thing, because a hard album alienates the community members who don't like it hard, both listeners AND producers.

My ideal layout for the album would be simply to have songs written ABOUT, or with samples taken from said Pony. This is a Twilight Album? The aim better not be on technical/complex/long entries, because what!? Hard to fulfill, unless you already write long and technical tracks.

This I so totally agree to though. If this'd be a technical/complex/long album, people could only join if they make that certain type of music, or they'd be changing themselves just because an album sprung up. Sure, I've heard it before, and there was the counter-argument of "getting to learn how to make that certain type of music, or at least attempt it to get out of your comfort zone," you decide whether you agree or not. And yes, I believe it to be a rightful argument for albums of a lesser size than Balloon Party, but for something as monumental as Balloon Party itself, wouldn't you want the best quality we can collect? At least this is my opinion.

I think that if an album like this should have a requirement so it fits, it shouldn't be a technical one. Rather make it a requirement of the track telling a story that contains a certain element (further asking for quality without limiting what you can create, and also offering the possibility for the album to be very diverse which radiates an all-over support of all gentes without excluding anything with creative potential and "awesomeness" in its own way).
Image
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
User avatar
ExoBassTix
 
Posts: 3576
Joined: 28 Mar 2013 13:01
Location: The Dutch white waters
OS: Windows 7 x64 / iPhone 6S iOS9.3.1
Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 18 Mar 2014 17:51

To anybody who thinks the album should not be for conventions, or have little to nothing to do with ponies or the community:

I think if the album isn't going to have anything to do with ponies or getting fans and friends to conventions then there is no real point to having it being affiliated with the community, MLR, or calling it a Balloon Party sequel in the first place. If the album directors don't care about their album's relation to the community then why should the community care about it?
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 18 Mar 2014 18:01

Honestly, there's something very dishonest about making a supposed pony album by the pony community and then trying to distance it as far away from ponies and the community as possible.
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby VaporBlaze » 18 Mar 2014 18:22

it's not a matter of distancing from pony, it's a matter broadening to a larger scope.

i think this album should be about evolution, growth, and ascendance. a chance for people to show how far they've come through this community. not through pony, mind you, but through the community of musicians that have been gathered together because of pony.

trying to enforce a "pony only" theme will lead to far more dishonesty than allowing people to choose whether their music is pony themed or not. it will flood the submissions with songs that just have samples slapped on them, instrumentals that have some odd justification, etc. just so they get considered for acceptance.

neither of the previous BP albums enforced a "pony theme" and they were both fantastic in my opinion, true testaments to the strength, creativity, and resourcefulness of this music community.

worse still will be the number of rejections because some arbitrary judgement call needed to be made about how "pony" it is. take a look at the story in this song's description: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_4SupANM-Y

this album should be a platform for people to show off their wings, and not be confined by some hard-to-enforce thematic limitation that will turn a lot of people off from the album.

removing the possibility of acquiring funds from this album is a good call; it will remove a lot of the toxicity surrounding the entries and who gets picked and who gets funded.

note: "making music that is pony themed does not inhibit creative expression. >making< people make pony themed music does."

if twilight represents anything, it would be friendship. and that transcends "pony". the fact that we all like ponies doesn't make us special any more. it hasn't for two years. what >does< make us special is that we all came together, from across the world, here to make music. some of us professional, some of us complete novices. we all grew together and learned together and became friends. we formed a community. the reason many people left is because they felt that their music and their worth as a person were being downplayed, under the shadow of "pony".

since when did "pony" become more important than friendship?
User avatar
VaporBlaze
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 22:11
Location: Colorado
OS: OSX10
Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: [-∞, ∞]

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Injustrial » 18 Mar 2014 18:38

VaporBlaze wrote:since when did "pony" become more important than friendship?


This. Just, this!
Image
User avatar
Injustrial
 
Posts: 673
Joined: 27 Oct 2013 19:09
Location: Norway
OS: Windows
Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 18 Mar 2014 18:39

VaporBlaze wrote:Lots of straw man fallicies


You pretty much used Straw Man and False Dilemma fallacies in reply to my statement.

Your point about aiming to reach a larger audience can also be called "selling out."

Nobody said anything about "pony only." Nobody said that at all and nobody wants that. You are black and white thinking.
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby VaporBlaze » 18 Mar 2014 19:21

i'd prefer not to make this personal, CC, most of what i said is just my thoughts on the whole issue, not direct at any one person or opinion. it was not meant to be purely a rebuttal to your statement.

however, i will say that i think this should be more of a community album than a pony album. makkon has always said this forum is a music forum first, and a pony forum second.
User avatar
VaporBlaze
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 22:11
Location: Colorado
OS: OSX10
Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: [-∞, ∞]

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby ChocolateChicken » 18 Mar 2014 19:32

VaporBlaze wrote:however, i will say that i think this should be more of a community album than a pony album. makkon has always said this forum is a music forum first, and a pony forum second.


I agree. But you missed my point entirely about how this album would be distancing itself away from the community as much as possible, which defeats the purpose of a so-called "community album."
User avatar
ChocolateChicken
 
Posts: 393
Joined: 02 Aug 2012 09:18
Location: California
OS: Apple Family Farm
Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby VaporBlaze » 18 Mar 2014 19:39

im really lost i guess, why do you say the album is distancing itself from the community? why would you say "as much as possible". maybe i missed something but i don't know what you are seeing to make you think that a pointed effort to distance the album from the community is being made.
User avatar
VaporBlaze
 
Posts: 114
Joined: 16 Oct 2012 22:11
Location: Colorado
OS: OSX10
Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: [-∞, ∞]

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron