The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

It is very important that you pay attention to this forum.

Where should the funds from the upcoming Balloon Party go?

Poll ended at 11 Mar 2014 18:16

Charity
53%
Cons
47%

Total votes : 49

Re: The upcoming Balloon Party sequel

Postby Jokeblue » 18 Mar 2014 23:59

ChocolateChicken wrote:To anybody who thinks the album should not be for conventions, or have little to nothing to do with ponies or the community:

I think if the album isn't going to have anything to do with ponies or getting fans and friends to conventions then there is no real point to having it being affiliated with the community, MLR, or calling it a Balloon Party sequel in the first place. If the album directors don't care about their album's relation to the community then why should the community care about it?

Again, ChocolatChicken is right, and has kinda swayed my view more towards community than charity. Vapour Blaze, you seem to have misuderstood. CC was promoting the album being more like the first one than making any major changes. Which means this album should maintain the initial stance of "this is a pony based album yes but you don't have to be 100% pony about it" (I think).

Making this album Pony In Name Only removes an extremely large part of what this album series actually is. Same as making it 100% pony with strict judging on how pony it is (just clarifying vapour blazes perceived interpretation, I don't think it should or will be this) does the same.

Gonna say it again, CC is right. Also this made sense to me as I was writing it. I dont know if it will later. But yeah. Here's posting in hopes I didn't say something I didn't mean, got wrong, or was just stupid in general
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ChocolateChicken » 19 Mar 2014 02:14

Yeah you seem to have understood my points perfectly, Jokeblue. It doesn't - nor should it - have to be 100% pony or "pony only." I just think it's unfair to deliberately distance the album away from the ponies/pony fandom than it really is or has been since the first Balloon Party, especially considering that the album is being made by the pony fandom.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Guthey » 19 Mar 2014 04:48

We really need to settle this.
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
Guthey

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Postby Ricky Denzel » 19 Mar 2014 07:24

I think it should go to charity.
Never Validating My Bastardizing Remedy
[SC] [BC] [Tw]
Ricky Denzel

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Triangle with an eye

Postby Freewave » 19 Mar 2014 07:54

Ricky Denzel wrote:I think it should go to charity.

and it is. that's already been decided.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Navron » 19 Mar 2014 12:40

The problem with making the album specifically pony related is that it asks the question, "What is pony related?" I personally don't like using samples, and I have a very dark and menacing sound to my music, which is mostly instrumentals. But if I say my song is pony related in the description, I am 100% honest to god that there is a story within the song related to MLP. Unfortunately, the pre-listeners for EqD and judges for past albums assume I'm just trying to make a general song and using ponies as a way to get attention, and it's not just me.

There are plenty of musicians who do instrumentals that aren't happy-go-lucky sounding that are difficult to determine if they're pony related or not. Making an album and saying it has to be pony related pretty much screws every musician that doesn't utilize samples or some kind of feel-good vibes in their compositions, and further reenforces to the brony community at large what this so called, "pony sound," is, which further sets back musicians that don't conform to this sound.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Guthey » 19 Mar 2014 13:55

Navron wrote:The problem with making the album specifically pony related is that it asks the question, "What is pony related?" I personally don't like using samples, and I have a very dark and menacing sound to my music, which is mostly instrumentals. But if I say my song is pony related in the description, I am 100% honest to god that there is a story within the song related to MLP. Unfortunately, the pre-listeners for EqD and judges for past albums assume I'm just trying to make a general song and using ponies as a way to get attention, and it's not just me.

There are plenty of musicians who do instrumentals that aren't happy-go-lucky sounding that are difficult to determine if they're pony related or not. Making an album and saying it has to be pony related pretty much screws every musician that doesn't utilize samples or some kind of feel-good vibes in their compositions, and further reenforces to the brony community at large what this so called, "pony sound," is, which further sets back musicians that don't conform to this sound.

This is why i hate the system they have going on over there. Whenever I look at MoTD I see a bunch of your ordinary songs, then comes the random instrumental or EDM song. and I'm wondering how it got in there. I once saw an ambient song get in. I have nothing against it but I felt like they just put it in there just because, all it really had was a mlp picture on it and when I looked at the description there was no story attached, it was literally in there just because it sounded nice. I really feel their system is all about "How do I feel about this song? Do I like it?" I feel like they don't take into consideration any of the of the actual songs, but it just all depends on how they are feeling.

What I think is that if people submit something, they have to have a reasonable story to go with it, not just "this is about applejack," but some sort of in depth story. I do agree that the "pony" quota is extremely hard to meet, especially for the ones who make instrumentals and orchestra music, it just doesn't fit. When it comes to almost every judging there is always the damn question, "Is it pony enough?" I really feel that that requirement is one of the stupidest things in this community and has always been a problem. I don't know how to solve this issue, but I know exactly where you are coming from and I agree with you all the way.
DAW: FL Studio
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/guthey
Guthey

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: General EDM mark

Previous

Return to Announcements