The Nostalgia Thread

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

The Nostalgia Thread

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 28 Mar 2014 09:07

I haven't made a thread in a while.

So right now is a crazy nostalgic time for me, because now that I'm starting uni and adulthood is right around the bend, I've been kinda retrospective about things.

SO! What makes you turn into a giant puddle of nostalgia? Give some links, discuss, meld into a collective MLR Nostalgia Puddle! IT WILL BE BEAUTIFUL

For me, it's a few things
Wallace & Gromit (do I really need to link that?), The Trapdoor, which was around because Australia was kinda stuck in the 80's and 90's till at least 2003, rage (fun fact: they still use that title card. It's been around since the early 90's) and in the realm of stuff that wasn't on TV, 70's era brick houses make me really nostalgic. I was raised in them and in my town, before people started renovating or building new houses, every house was this standard brick affair that came right outta the 70's. I dunno, but they kinda feel more homey for me.

Anyway. post your own stuff. This'll be neat :D
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Re: The Nostalgia Thread

Postby Coloriot » 28 Mar 2014 09:11

Playing old PS2 games. I might try my hand at Frogger's Adventures again sometime.

Oh yeah and Veggietales. :p
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby CitricAcid » 28 Mar 2014 09:24

Homestar Runner, a MUD called Mystic Adventure (and the WinTin client I used for it), and the Mouse Hunt soundtrack make me nostalgic for my college days. I can't think of much that would make me feel really nostalgic about my earlier childhood. Maybe The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Also any old house or building I spent a lot of time in as a kid.

In 20 years, the nostalgia I will feel for MLP will probably be painful.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby OfficeBats » 28 Mar 2014 10:11

CitricAcid wrote:Homestar Runner

Homestar was something I really liked. I even still go on youtube and look up a video of some of the sb mails. I also loved playing on the Game Cube I had. I believe I used to play a lot of SSBM and and some pokemon games.
OfficeBats

Postby Freewave » 28 Mar 2014 16:05

I've got the original DOS version of Carmageddon on my phone. Somehow its exactly as i remembered it and its just as much fun. Wish more older games were put onto phones.

I've been sharing some mixtapes with friends of old favorite songs i've loved. It's been a great reflective process.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby S.P.P » 28 Mar 2014 18:44

Freewave wrote:I've got the original DOS version of Carmageddon on my phone. Somehow its exactly as i remembered it and its just as much fun. Wish more older games were put onto phones.

I have a Pokemon Gold ROM on my phone which basically lets me relive my childhood. My Dad got me Gold + a Gameboy Color for my birthday when it came out and I didn't put it down for years other than to sleep.

The music during the end credits give me such happysads everytime.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby LFP » 28 Mar 2014 18:56

So there was this 2nd version of the Pokemon TV series airing sometime ago, it's based around the games which is really cool.
It's mind-blowing and crazy nostalgic at the same time since it's basically Pokemon red/blue the tv series and explains so many questions left out in the game (like why the first gym leaders use weaker Pokemon, apparently they look at how many badges you have and chose weaker/stronger Pokemon from there).
So yeah I was freaking out over the first episode, my childhood the tv series <3

Basically anything Pokemon=nostalgic ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Mar 2014 20:57

[Insert thing you liked doing during your childhood] /thread

My family had a super nintendo when I was a kid. We had this one Aladdin game on it. I loved it. We also had a Star Wars game for it, some racing game, a Lion King games, and then a Donkey Kong game. I loved them all. We also got a playstation something or rather, I don't remember what, but we had a Tony Hawk game for it and a Spyro game. I loved the Spyro game SOOO much back then. Then we got an Xbox with Battlefront II, Project Gotham Racing, and... hm... another game. We eventually also got another star wars game for it. At my grandparents house I loved to play this little mini game called "stress relief", as well as this one cheesy cereal box game called "Chex Quest", and then I also loved this Hot Wheels racing game. That's pretty much my nostalgia as far as I can remember right now.

EDIT: I also can't forget Sonic Heroes. OMG, that game was so awesome when I was little. Gawd damn I loved it a ton.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Coloriot » 28 Mar 2014 21:09

itroitnyah wrote:
EDIT: I also can't forget Sonic Heroes. OMG, that game was so awesome when I was little. Gawd damn I loved it a ton.

OH YEAH THAT GAME!! I had the PS2 version, so meh, but then I sold it cuz someone gave me the GameCube version. Then my dad sold the GameCube. With the memory card. *sigh* One of these days I'll probably get a new memory card.
Colorkek that makes computer noises.

What's my main genre? All of them.

[Youtube] [Soundcloud] [EQBeats] [Bandcamp] [Twitter]
Coloriot

Primary: Ableton Live 7
Cutie Mark: Mac Color Wheel of Doom

Postby AyaneFukumi » 28 Mar 2014 21:52

For me it's any sid Meier, anarchy enterprises, Chris sawyer, or maxis games. Pretty much any tycoon in general.

Also games like ratchet and clank,psychonauts

I'm a gamer and always have bee
https://soundcloud.com/ayane-fukumi/santisima-virgen-maria-hardtek-for-dummies-ayane-fukumis-sick-as-balls-remix

Hey doctor I think I might be a homosexual
How can you tell?
RRAAIINBOOWS

Suiseiseki is best desu
AyaneFukumi

Primary: FL 10/11

Postby ExoBassTix » 29 Mar 2014 06:55

LoreRD and me shared a moment of intense nostalgia yesterday when there was a House remix of this track played on the Ultra Music Festival stream:

But next to that, probably nothing can beat the nostalgia that happens inside of me when I see this:

EDIT - oh I forgot, there is one more thing that gets me in an extremely nostalgic mood: the smell of carbolineum.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby simonli2575 » 29 Mar 2014 19:14

It was when PCs were already common. My brother used to give me PC games to play, mainly Megaman X3, 5, 6 and 8, Dynasty Warrior 4 Special and 5 and YS: Origin.
Also, reading about the old tech gives me the nostalgic feel too.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby JSynth » 30 Mar 2014 08:34

Pokemon Yellow and Silver.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby FLAOFEI » 30 Apr 2014 02:35

Australian accents. I grew up in Australia, and I'm super nostalgic about pretty much everything there. And High Five, and Wiggles, and Playschool, and Bananas in Pyjamas <3

Then LEGO! I colected Bionicle like crazy when I was younger! I still remember a lot of the early names, and I will never sell them! Most of them are in huge plastic boxes in the attic, but I still have some standing in my shelf, cause whou wouldn't feel safer knowing they have Takanuva watching over them! :3

Also, for some reason I get a nostalgic feel when listening to Futret. I know he quit just a year or so ago... but still... idk, I feel it.

And everything frpm hits for kids! I grew up with I'm Blue, Spice Girls and Vengaboys! And Aqua! I don't care what people say, that was an important step for misic to take! Why? Imagine all the cheesy elements that would never be accepted without them! Jk, idk, i like the music
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby ExoBassTix » 30 Apr 2014 06:53

Haha, that last bit Flaf, perfect xD I agree though. Had the same.

Playing Cubic Conundrum or The Ultimate ChuChu (both ancient GameMaker games to be found on YoYoGames) makes me nostalgic as hell too xD
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby itroitnyah » 30 Apr 2014 14:18

I wanna say Lion King. I watched it a few days ago, and that really sent me into a huge nostalgia drop.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby JSynth » 30 Apr 2014 15:06

Every time there is a "90's Kids" post on tumblr. I don't remember much of the 90's, but I can recall some of the old TV shows and what not.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Pulse Wave » 03 May 2014 15:10

Hoo boy, where to start...

See, I'm so old already that the years around the millennium are the same for many of you as the early to mid-80s are for me. That, and most of my life is nostalgia. Starting in the early-to-mid-90s, the newer music is, the more likely am I to dislike it. But I could write forever about the music of the 60s, 70s and 80s, also because I was lucky enough to experience the latter myself. (I shall start the occasional thread about music from the past at some point...)

My most recent flashback was probably the Full Tines preset on my Yamaha TX802. The electric piano from the release of the DX7 in 1983 to some point in the 90s when "vintage" was invented and the Rhodes was rediscovered. Give it a bit of reverb, and you've got one great ballad piano.

Lego was mentioned in this thread. Heh, I started to collect Lego a few years after the minifigs had come out. Those were the times when the AFOLs were kids themselves. Lego had three regular lines back then: Town (mine grew to an enormous size with everything a town needs within six or seven years), Space (Zeerust, anyone; I had some of that, too) and Castle (medieval theme, had yellow castles first and was rebooted with grey walls, more minifig accessories, more realistic horses and even Robin Hood sets in the mid-80s; I didn't have any of that, but I knew a few kids who did).

The Lego railway was really cool in the 80s. It wasn't battery-powered (except the one low-budget set with 3 D-cells in a separate battery car that one could always find in the catalogue ever since the 70s), it ran on 12V DC which came through a second pair of rails, and it could be operated much like a real model railway including remote-controlled switches and decouplers and functional signals. Unfortunately, it didn't survive new EU laws in 1993.

Computers and video games... Well, they had their first heyday back then. And how! The 80s were the era of the home computer. What's known today as a PC — back then known as IBM 8514 and compatible computers — were pure office machines and quite limited for their price.

Some Atari 2600 were still around, but the console of the 80s was the NES (a.k.a. Famicom). The Sega Master System was for hipsters before hipsters were invented; Sega didn't make it big before the early 90s when they competed against the first monochrome Game Boy with their Game Gear (which failed almost as miserably as the Atari Lynx despite being better than the Game Boy) and against the Super NES (a.k.a. Super Famicom) with their successful Mega Drive.

Most of the gaming in the 80s happened on home computers. The first really versatile and successful one was the Commodore C64. Not really easy to use, but the more hackable, therefore kept by a generation of geeks. Those who simply wanted to play games were more interested in the Amiga 500 which almost worked like a console but used floppy disks which could be copied. I can't recall a single Amiga user who didn't have XCOPY — or one who had legally bought a single game. A frequent activity on school yards was the exchange of floppies.

The late 80s saw the arrival of the Atari ST. It did have its share of games, yes, but it was rather a computer for the creative user, especially the synthesizer musician. The ST had a built-in MIDI port (our VSTis were hardware synths), and it was the computer platform for which Cubase and Notator were developed.

Home producing was still difficult and/or expensive, though, because the only computer system on which entire songs could be produced was the NED Synclavier — the DAW was not only not invented yet, it wasn't even possible on boxes with some 512kB of RAM and a single-core 7MHz CPU. So the cheapest way to record something was by playing what one could play by hand and leave the rest to the sequencer, mixing it in real time and recording it on cassette with no chance to make any corrections in the mix later on. Cheap multitracking was limited to four tracks on the same kind of cassette. The next step was a professional 8-track reel-to-reel tape machine which hardly any bedroom producer could afford, not to mention the space these monsters occupied. Oh, and mastering would have required another tape machine, but most musicians left that to people who actually knew their way around mastering (that was long before you could "learn" mastering on YouTube).

Speaking of tapes, I still remember the video format war. VHS vs. Betamax vs. Video 2000. Betamax was vastly better, but VHS had the better lobby, so VHS won. (Guess some of you have hardly experienced the times before Blu-Ray.)

In fact, the mid-80s were revolutionary times for TV in Germany. Video recorders came up, satellite and cable TV came up — and private TV came up after decades of having three PBS stations at any given place in Germany. The new stations like RTL+ and SAT.1 could only be received via cable or satellite, but not via terrestrial antenna (these two stations came to analogue terrestrial TV in the 90s, but only them), so many Germans bolted satellite dishes to their houses — a dish cost them only once, cable would have cost them monthly.

Something else that was serious business in the 80s was hi-fi. Those were the times when more and more Japanese hi-fi devices appeared on the market — and when component systems were all the rage. You basically had two paradigms: One was to get the entire system from one and the same company, preferably even the speakers. This had the best looks because everything looked the same, and the supporters said that everything works together the best if it all comes from the same brand. The other one was to pick the best from the best makers because no company was best at everything. So you had a Dual or Thorens turntable, an Onkyo amp, a Nakamichi tape deck (hi-fi nerds would bow before you if you had The Dragon) and so on. This was what the geeks with enough money to burn on hi-fi had...

...the same kind of people at whom the Metal (IEC IV) tapes were targeted which cost as much as three CrO₂ (IEC II) tapes. "Ferro" (IEC I) tapes were for the cheap who didn't care for sound quality and who mostly used them for spoken word. Us kids didn't use these, we always went for the "Chrome" tapes. Ah, the smell of a freshly unwrapped new cassette. Where I came from, we hardly made any mixtapes, and if we did, we only did it for ourselves. Most tapes were used for copying entire albums. A 90-minute tape could hold two 12" long-players. Guess why most of us had double tape decks. And guess why the MiniDisc introduced a copy generation bit in the 90s which rendered further copies of digitally recorded MDs impossible.

And then came the Walkman. Registered trademark of Sony, but even we used that term for any kind of portable cassette player (that was long before MP3, and MiniDisc didn't really make it big; I still have some of those, though); we mostly had Sony and Aiwa. Earbuds came up in the 90s, and those were neither earplugs nor white yet. In the 80s, we had headphones, and these weren't as fat as those overhyped Beats by Dr. Dre. Walkmen themselves came in several "classes": They started as cheap mechanically-controlled ones which couldn't even rewind. The next better ones could rewind. Then came features like electronic controls (mostly in the 90s, though) or a three-band EQ on the lid. And the best ones had a built-in radio.

I went through four or five Walkmen from the late 80s to 1997 or so when I was frustrated about another broken Walkman (and its consumption of AA-cells) and switched to a more reliable portable MiniDisc recorder (!) which should still be in working condition. Well, it had to be a recorder since I didn't have a MiniDisc deck before I bought one from my uncle in 2001, but most MD porties were recorders anyway. In school, I would always carry about a dozen tapes that I'd listen to during breaks. They also came in handy at excursions. From my job training on, however, I carried up to three wads with altogether almost 40 MDs. I spent a lot of time on trains back then. The MD's successor was one of the last iPod 4½G with a 20GB hard drive which in turn was followed by what I use today, an old Android-based monstrosity with a half-terabyte of hard disc space.
Old brony, older than old school.
Gear list, Jabber ID: see my profile.
No FL Studio, no VSTs. No Skype, no YouTube.

Sounds fly through the night, I follow Vın̈yl Scratch to Pony Wonderland.
Pulse Wave

OS: For music, you mean? Debian Buster + bits and pieces of KXStudio.
Primary: Hardware synths and samplers and sequencing and effects and mixing all the way. Plus Qtractor.
Cutie Mark: Green 33% width pulse wave

Return to Off-Topic Discussion