Quitting music

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Quitting music

Postby Facade » 20 Nov 2011 20:52

i feel like I've been getting worse and worse lately i keep trying to remix but every time i do it sucks :/ and i don't seem so be getting better. And on top of it all all my original stuff is repetitive and uninteresting i feel like quitting :(.
what are your opinions? should i quit or should i just try harder?
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Re: Quitting music

Postby Calamus_Dash » 20 Nov 2011 21:43

Facade wrote:i feel like I've been getting worse and worse lately i keep trying to remix but every time i do it sucks :/ and i don't seem so be getting better. And on top of it all all my original stuff is repetitive and uninteresting i feel like quitting :(.
what are your opinions? should i quit or should i just try harder?

Who are you kidding? You're getting a ton better if anything. Seriously, I envy you for being able to release quality music with alarming regularity, whereas I've been here for over a month and I've had the motivation to do a total of two remixes :P
For real, stick with it! If you aren't feeling any inspiration or anything, don't feel pressured to make more stuff. Take a break if you need one, but ditching music forever would be
the
worst
possible
THING!
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby Facade » 20 Nov 2011 21:54

Calamus_Dash wrote:the
worst
possible
THING!

kudos for the quote but I just don't see anything in music and quality? yea right :p
anything new I try sucks isn't good enough or just never works I am sick of it
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

Facade

Postby X-Trav » 20 Nov 2011 21:57

Its impossible to get worse! open up fl studio, and turn a knob to a place you haven't. You just learned something new.

Every musician feels the way you do right now at some point. It just means you have high standards and set goals for yourself: a good thing. That doesn't mean it'll be easy, or that you'll keep a good mindset during the journey. The important thing is that you don't quit, and you'll get to where ever you want to be.
Long time pianist and mediocrity extraordinaire.

Current Projects:
Manestream media
    EOE003
Call of The Crusaders
Album
X-Trav

Postby Aussie » 20 Nov 2011 21:59

I can definitely relate, Facade. Sometimes things just don't sound good at all to you, and you just wanna throw in the towel, cause you think that you'll NEVER get as good as your idols. But whatever you do, DON'T FUCKING QUIT. GET PAST THE GAP.
Aussie

Postby Facade » 20 Nov 2011 22:05

Aussie wrote:Image
I can definitely relate, Facade. Sometimes things just don't sound good at all to you, and you just wanna throw in the towel, cause you think that you'll NEVER get as good as your idols. But whatever you do, DON'T FUCKING QUIT. GET PAST THE GAP.

omfg that has to be the best quote ever ._. thank you soooooo much i will try NO i must continue no matter what it takes thanks for the encouragement i have to sleep now. night
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby replacer » 20 Nov 2011 22:12

anything new I try sucks isn't good enough or just never works I am sick of it

The neurotic life of being an artist :)
replacer
replacer

Postby Tsyolin » 20 Nov 2011 22:24

Just keep pushing through, you really can only get better. And you can only get better if you keep trying.
Tsyolin

Primary: Studio One
Cutie Mark: I don't even know anymore

Postby Icky » 22 Nov 2011 02:22

Honestly I'm feeling the same about my music at the moment, altough I wasn't considering quiting I took a pretty long (2 weeks is long shut up) break from producing myself. Like everyone else said you got to keep producing, even if it feels like you're not improving. I already made the mistake of quiting music once, and Im not planning on making it twice.

Btw, sorry about the delay on the remix for your album!
Icky

Postby Stars In Autumn » 22 Nov 2011 04:52

Shit, Ira Glass said that? Fucking genius. I feel this way too, but then I remember that I started making music only less than a year ago, while a lot of these guys have been making music for much longer. You're still developing your style, still learning. Don't give in just because it's not instantaneous.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Mundius » 22 Nov 2011 08:46

Okay, this should become a huge thing around this forum.
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 22 Nov 2011 13:21

Vinyl Scratch wrote:Okay, this should become a huge thing around this forum.

agreed
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Diss Order » 22 Nov 2011 15:33

Your skills can never get worse. Music comes with practice and practice makes perfect... nobody can make amazing, pro tracks out of nowhere, it takes a few years of failing before you start winning. ;)

This is the hardest part for musicians. The part where you know your stuff sucks and you wanna stop. Those that keep going will eventually get better and even reach the top. Others that don't... well, they don't get anywhere. So yeah, if music really is what you wanna do: Why stop?

"Riiiiise to the top, I got to make it to the top! I keep on rocking never stop, gonna keep on pushiiiiing!

EDIT: Apparently the whole post I just made already sort-of appeared in the image earlier. :S I really should READ threads before I kick dead horses...
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Facade » 22 Nov 2011 16:20

Diss Order wrote:Your skills can never get worse. Music comes with practice and practice makes perfect... nobody can make amazing, pro tracks out of nowhere, it takes a few years of failing before you start winning. ;)

This is the hardest part for musicians. The part where you know your stuff sucks and you wanna stop. Those that keep going will eventually get better and even reach the top. Others that don't... well, they don't get anywhere. So yeah, if music really is what you wanna do: Why stop?

"Riiiiise to the top, I got to make it to the top! I keep on rocking never stop, gonna keep on pushiiiiing!

EDIT: Apparently the whole post I just made already sort-of appeared in the image earlier. :S I really should READ threads before I kick dead horses...

omg you guys are epic you provided me with enough motivation to keep going
also epic song is epic
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby Calamus_Dash » 22 Nov 2011 20:01

1:20
how did this get here
i am not good with computer

http://www.youtube.com/user/calamusdash
Calamus_Dash

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 22 Nov 2011 20:14

Calamus_Dash wrote:

Scootaloo at 1:26
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Facade » 22 Nov 2011 20:31

Dr_Dissonance wrote:
Calamus_Dash wrote:

Scootaloo at 1:26

CMC at 1:33
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby ismbof » 22 Nov 2011 21:51

*sob*
I love you all.

And Facade, keep doin whatchudoin, bro. In the words of blues clues, "Don't give up, just go on!" Just keep playing around with your daw, man. Try different styles, go f*cking crazy with something, look up TUTORIALS on youtube, unclog my brothers toilet, listen to various artists' styles/tricks and learn their techniques, make funny noises in your mic just to be an idiot, or have some fun! Watch pony, Eat spaghetti, hum while taking a shower, do a collab, this shit is endless, bro! Practice, practice, sleep, practice!

Tutorials for different vsts helped a hellovalot. I am a horrible teacher for any subject so I don't know if this 'll help in any way. But still, don't quit.
ismbof

Postby Facade » 22 Nov 2011 22:11

ismbof wrote:*sob*
I love you all.

And Facade, keep doin whatchudoin, bro. In the words of blues clues, "Don't give up, just go on!" Just keep playing around with your daw, man. Try different styles, go f*cking crazy with something, look up TUTORIALS on youtube, unclog my brothers toilet, listen to various artists' styles/tricks and learn their techniques, make funny noises in your mic just to be an idiot, or have some fun! Watch pony, Eat spaghetti, hum while taking a shower, do a collab, this shit is endless, bro! Practice, practice, sleep, practice!

Tutorials for different vsts helped a hellovalot. I am a horrible teacher for any subject so I don't know if this 'll help in any way. But still, don't quit.

hmmm sleep i need some about now
i wish i could watch tv while sleeping :/
also in the quote it says only mass amounts of work can get you over this "gap"
lets say i've worked more these past two days then i have in a normal week and i can say its gonna be long and tough but im gonna make it i just know i am
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Postby LunchBagMusic » 22 Nov 2011 23:38

I'm not sure if someone has said this, because I tl;dr-ed about 20-30% of this thread.

But maybe a break of about a fortnight to a month is enough to get you back on track. Sometimes, particularly after a musical brain-drain, it can take me a couple of days to get back into the right mindset, and I reckon if you've been trying to get that "it" sound for a while now, you may need a rest.

That doesn't mean abandon this place. Its where I find 50% of my inspiration.
LunchBagMusic

Postby ForeverOdin » 23 Nov 2011 00:53

Reading through this, I'm glad you seem to have decided not to quit. I've listened to several of your tracks, and I like your music.
I can sympathize though...in fact, before reading this topic (that picture quote especially, I cried a little to be honest >.<) I was heavily thinking about quitting too. I have a very long composition project going on for a fanfic read, and after that I was going to possibly give up. I'm never fully happy with my stuff. I've been composing for two years and I still feel like I suck at this. I want to continue (and as such I will), but I can't shake the feeling of inadequacy.
So you're not alone, and you have plenty of people around you to support you and help you better yourself. To fulfill your potential (which you have a lot). So keep at it. =)
Still searchin'.
Mah Tube
Mah Cloud
ForeverOdin

Postby LunchBagMusic » 23 Nov 2011 01:05

...but I can't shake the feeling of inadequacy.

Inadequacy is like pain. If you don't feel it, then there is something very wrong with you. Also like pain, if you don't feel it, then you wont gain anything. Inadequacy is what drives you on, the want to be as good as that one guy. To get there, to get that 'it sound'.

I don't ever let inadequacy be a negative thing. I just say, "How could this be better? How could this be improved? What do they have that I don't? (besides quality samples, money and proper equipment - yay for being a music hobo)"
LunchBagMusic

Postby Diss Order » 23 Nov 2011 03:55

Thing is, having fancy hardware devices and synthesizers USED to be an advantage, but nowadays software can make the same insane wacky sounds, or even better. Theoretically, the only piece of hardware you need is a computer to make the music we make, and to make it good. :)
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Mundius » 23 Nov 2011 09:16

Diss Order wrote:Thing is, having fancy hardware devices and synthesizers USED to be an advantage, but nowadays software can make the same insane wacky sounds, or even better. Theoretically, the only piece of hardware you need is a computer to make the music we make, and to make it good. :)

Add in a keyboard so you can actually play what you want.

WHICH I DO NOT HAVE. :o
Mundius

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Facade » 23 Nov 2011 09:22

ForeverOdin wrote:So you're not alone, and you have plenty of people around you to support you and help you better yourself.

same to you, don't give up keep at it like i am quitting should be the last thing you ever even think of doing heck you shouldn't even think of quitting.
Spoiler Quotes:

Facade

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion