Musician pet peeves

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Musician pet peeves

Postby Freewave » 18 Nov 2013 09:30

ClaviSound wrote:Does it count if we talk about getting on other musicians' cases? Because if so, I'd like to append "musicians who seem eager to move on something (and probably legitimately like the idea) but then never do work on it for one reason or another but still contend that they're doing it." I understand if it takes time, but if you're going to say "I want to do this" then at least tell the truth, because if you really did want to do it you'd be doing it instead of telling me you want to do it. Show don't tell still applies, even if it's outside literature.

There's also a place for those who are too lazy to even apologize for cancelling collaborations. (To be fair, I've only really met one person who actually said "I'm too lazy to apologize," and he's still a friend, but the fact that he did it still pissed me off for quite a while.)

^^ So much this. TBH I really don't like collaborating that much as the majority of people i talk with never get to the project, i seem to have to hassle to remind them, or they let me know 3 weeks later that they actually aren't interested because they agreed before they listened about the project. It's part of the reason I generally try to do things myself or stick with those i know vs reaching out anymore. Frankly it sucks.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby Injustrial » 18 Nov 2013 11:21

Working on a mix all day, wake up the next morning and realize that it sounds WORSE than when I started. That really gets on my nerves...
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby Wisp » 18 Nov 2013 12:45

When I struggle a lot and find myself unable to make a good melody, then come back later and make a really good melody, but have no idea how to use it... then it just kind of sits there in my melody folder forever.

Injustrial wrote:Working on a mix all day, wake up the next morning and realize that it sounds WORSE than when I started. That really gets on my nerves...

Definitely this, too.
Wisp

Primary: Ableton Live 9
Cutie Mark: House, chill, dnb

Postby Facade » 18 Nov 2013 16:55

think i make something that sounds cool and i come back later and it sounds terrible :|
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby S.P.P » 18 Nov 2013 17:13

-Trap
-People who bash on genres whilst giving no reasons why it is bad in their eyes.
-Hypocrites.

-People who think they're hot shit but actually struggle to keep in key in 90% of their songs.
-User501938583 needs to fuck off.
-People who are really fucking elitist with their theory. Little theory knowledge =\= bad musician.
-People that blatantly rip off other people. Like, by all means borrow a melody or a phrase; but atleast change it a little bit, for Chrissakes! Even if only the timbre of the sound!
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby Conchetupony » 18 Nov 2013 18:46

Oddly enough, brony music.

When I went to meet-ups (not a brony anymore) all that was played by the DJ was awfully generic house or brostep remixes of the show's tunes, and most original tunes are just as generic and repetitive.

I seriously think the only reason they ever got popular is because a group of people decided to listen to it in an attempt to be "unique" and different from they who stigmatize bronies as a whole, and thus, most brony musicians who came after the first few - who started making pony music just for their own enjoyment (Eurobeat Brony etc.) - are into it to meet the niché market that is bronies, because they'll listen to it no matter how unoriginal the "artist" is.

I admit I did try to gain myself some popularity by making pony music, and failed miserably because it wasn't EDM I'm pretty awful at singing and mixing. I learned to think more for myself as a musician than for an hypothetical end listener, partly thanks to this experience. c:

[/cynical rant]

Also, most pop rock because it's just as cringe-worthy generic, and:

FLAOFEI wrote:I don't like when you listen to popular radio stuff and hear the things that you would have done differently.

Usually because of off-beat and off-key melodies, awful structure, and lyric metrics and rhyme.

Kyoga wrote:If you think you're a shit musician, then figure out how to stop being a shit musician.
Things don't have to be that hard.

I really should listen to this.
oops I dropped the bass

will you pick it up for me
Conchetupony

Primary: Ardour 3.3.1
Cutie Mark: Mindlessly rocking out

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Nov 2013 19:19

-Generic, shitty brony music
-Pony In Name Only
-Inability to finish anything musical
-Artists who think they deserve huge popularity and respect when they can't even stay in a key
-People who shit on songs just because they're X genre without hearing the song itself
-People who rip off other people without even mentioning the other person
-DJ Pon-3 and anyone who likes their music
-Popular artists who get favors or expect to be treated like gods just because of their popularity
-People who argue that we don't need genres or that genres are useless
-People who argue about genres
-Harsh noise, speedcore, other obscure, stupid genres like that. Like, they don't even sound appealing
-Pretentious musical hipsters
-People who think that all electronic music is techno or dubstep
-People who think electronic music is easy to make
-User019858917
Nine Volt

Postby Ocular » 18 Nov 2013 21:56

Nine Volt wrote:-People who shit on songs just because they're X genre without hearing the song itself

-Harsh noise, speedcore, other obscure, stupid genres like that. Like, they don't even sound appealing.

"Everyone has to like the music I like but whatever music I don't like is shit."
Infallible logic right there, mate.
inactive
Ocular

Postby Mesogears » 18 Nov 2013 22:02

Nine Volt wrote:-Generic, shitty brony music
-Pony In Name Only
-Inability to finish anything musical
-Artists who think they deserve huge popularity and respect when they can't even stay in a key
-People who shit on songs just because they're X genre without hearing the song itself
-People who rip off other people without even mentioning the other person
-DJ Pon-3 and anyone who likes their music
-Popular artists who get favors or expect to be treated like gods just because of their popularity
-People who argue that we don't need genres or that genres are useless
-People who argue about genres
-Harsh noise, speedcore, other obscure, stupid genres like that. Like, they don't even sound appealing
-Pretentious musical hipsters
-People who think that all electronic music is techno or dubstep
-People who think electronic music is easy to make
-User019858917

(first bolded text) I see where you're coming from, and I definitely don't think genres are useless, but I don't like when people try to force themselves to make a certain genre (by this I mean people trying to be exactly like another artist instead of developing their own style). I used to do that, and I always felt like I was being creatively limited.

(other bolded text) Agreed.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby ClaviSound » 19 Nov 2013 00:39

Ooh, ooh, I got another (sort of related to a previous post of mine but still its own thing) one! People who say "it's coming soon" for a million billion years but then never release anything to show for it.

I understand if you're at the "almost done stage" and have been frustratingly close to it for a while, but hyping vaporware not only gets tiring after a while, it also builds up expectations that eventually become impossible to clear. Chill out, don't announce albums or major undertakings until you're far enough along that you know it's going to be released (or plain don't announce it until it's finished), and don't announce deadlines you aren't sure you're going to make.

As an addendum to that last point, if something comes up and you suddenly feel like you're going to be put under severe pressure to finish in the time you allotted yourself, move the date back sooner rather than later. You'll get less backlash and won't stress as badly than if you try to rush and fail to make it. Just saying, announcing you'll be pushing it back from a summer to an autumn release sounds better in March than it does in July, and it'll make you fret less about not being able to finish in time.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby Acsii » 19 Nov 2013 03:24

Nine Volt wrote:-User019858917

I love you for this XD
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby S.P.P » 19 Nov 2013 03:28

Nine Volt wrote:-Harsh noise, speedcore, other obscure, stupid genres like that. Like, they don't even sound appealing

Man, house sucks! It's just lazy 4/4 beats for like 5 minutes with chord progressions and melodies that hardly ever change; it doesn't even sound appealing!

Music is subjective, and one man's junk is another's treasure.

Also, I enjoy and produce both house and noise/speedcore/experimental. I was just trying to make a point.

Besides that, I agree with all of your points. :3
S.P.P

Postby simonli2575 » 19 Nov 2013 06:12

Who the hell is User019858917?
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby itroitnyah » 19 Nov 2013 06:43

That one bot person that follows you on soundcloud. I have about 4 of them following me, haha.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Alycs » 19 Nov 2013 07:56

Okay, this one really bugs me mostly because every time I try to point it out to other people they are just like "what are you talking about?" Its when you are listening to a song, and it sounds great during the "low-energy" part, but when the chorus hits, you suddenly realize it was compressed because all the instruments (and especially vocals) just DROP volume so fast and are overpowered.

Its even worse when you are listening to said song in the car because you already have road noise and you think you have it at the perfect volume and then its just, "NOPE" and you have to change the volume again just to hear the words
Soundcloud||Tumblr||Youtube||Graphics||Bandcamp
Freewave wrote:being too critical can make you too critical
Alycs

Cutie Mark: ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Postby Facade » 19 Nov 2013 09:23

people that when they dislike a genre complain about it non-stop everywhere
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby CitricAcid » 19 Nov 2013 10:14

Songs that suffer from what I like to call "Alternative Rock Syndrome." These are songs that start off with the greatest 4-bar intro you've ever heard and get you pumped to hear the rest of the song. Then immediately after the intro, every instrument drops out and/or gets pushed into the background, and all you can hear is the vocals. It's always such a let down.

A related pet peeve of mine is people/genres that think lyrics are the most important part of a song and don't try to make the rest of the music interesting.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Mesogears » 19 Nov 2013 14:52

CitricAcid wrote:Songs that suffer from what I like to call "Alternative Rock Syndrome." These are songs that start off with the greatest 4-bar intro you've ever heard and get you pumped to hear the rest of the song. Then immediately after the intro, every instrument drops out and/or gets pushed into the background, and all you can hear is the vocals. It's always such a let down.

A related pet peeve of mine is people/genres that think lyrics are the most important part of a song and don't try to make the rest of the music interesting.

^^^This.

What also really bugs me is when people hate on a song because of the lyrics / vocals, even if the instrumental is amazing.

And when people hate instrumentals because they don't have lyrics. :mad:
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby Nine Volt » 19 Nov 2013 15:26

PYR3LIGHT wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:-Harsh noise, speedcore, other obscure, stupid genres like that. Like, they don't even sound appealing

Man, house sucks! It's just lazy 4/4 beats for like 5 minutes with chord progressions and melodies that hardly ever change; it doesn't even sound appealing!

Music is subjective, and one man's junk is another's treasure.

Also, I enjoy and produce both house and noise/speedcore/experimental. I was just trying to make a point.

Besides that, I agree with all of your points. :3

Believe it or not, that was my opinion on house music from when I discovered EDM until about a year ago (so, a year into producing). Now house is my main genre. Also I've got no problem with experimental.

I'll append my statement though: In my first comment about people judging songs based on their genre, I meant without giving it a fair shot. I've given harsh noise and speedcore fair chances and they've failed to appeal to me. So really I should've put "Like, they don't even sound appealing to me andthat'sanopinionsoitcan'tbewronghowaboutthatson"
Nine Volt

Postby Viricide Filly » 20 Nov 2013 07:28

-People making fun of genres because they're "mainstream"
-People not giving "mainstream" artists a chance. Lady Gaga fucking rocks dude.
-People criticising my music because "you think you're a pony" that's not even a valid reason to dislike music it's a valid reason to dislike me or whatever but seriously grow the fuck up people actually do this
-People not injecting bumble bees every day
-Cirbama
-People using "i was drunk lol" or "was really early in the morning" to excuse a particularly bad song. My entire album, including trophy wife, waltz in white and refaint and all the other popular songs were ALL made during alcohol abuse, coffee abuse, depression and most were made in 5 in the morning after a sleepless night or two sleepless nights in a row. And some of that I consider my best work.
-People who see an oppertunity in a suddenly popular new genre and dump EVERYTHING to produce only that genre. I've made a big room song and a trap song before. Once.
-People who use "I got on EqD" to prove their talent. My song Chatterbox is on Everfree Network. It's absolute shit.
-Me
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby HMage » 20 Nov 2013 16:01

Being alone.

v______________v
HMage

Primary: Ableton
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Conchetupony » 20 Nov 2013 16:58

I just remembered I really f'ing hate when instruments are panned all around the stereo field, especially if it's a rhythm instrument (bass, drums) or something I'm supposed to listen to (lead vocals). It's awful to listen to, esp. on headphones. It's seriously the only reason I don't listen to the Beatles. People do it to this day.
oops I dropped the bass

Conchetupony

Postby S.P.P » 20 Nov 2013 18:42

Fucking nightcore. Cannot stand it. It's just a song sped up like 20% and then pitched up. Then it's posted to YouTube and get 1mil hits or some shit; and people start praising the guy for his "gr9 nitecor mix!!1!1///?one!11!!"

Fucking no.
S.P.P

Postby Conchetupony » 20 Nov 2013 19:27

eery wrote:I can agree that the bass and the kickdrum should stay mono, but general drums?

Like, spreading hats and other small perc around in the stereofield makes the track way more intresting. idk, I really like when thats done.

That's right - and I actually always do just kick and snare in mono and keep the rest of the (sampled) kit around the stereo field. It's great when done right.
oops I dropped the bass

Conchetupony

Postby Nine Volt » 20 Nov 2013 19:36

PYR3LIGHT wrote:Fucking nightcore. Cannot stand it. It's just a song sped up like 20% and then pitched up. Then it's posted to YouTube and get 1mil hits or some shit; and people start praising the guy for his "gr9 nitecor mix!!1!1///?one!11!!"

Fucking no.

Words cannot express how much I despise nightcore. Especially when people consider it a genre. It literally takes about 0 skill to do - I could probably do it in Audacity if I didn't still have self-respect.
Nine Volt

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion