Musician pet peeves

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Musician pet peeves

Postby Freewave » 16 Nov 2013 14:00

Let's not repeat the endless back and forth argument between old school dubstep and modern dusbtep, shall we? It's derailed and locked countless threads and been repeated ad nauseum. Let's take a page from history and not repeat that same mistake over and over again. Please.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby ClaviSound » 16 Nov 2013 14:35

I guess you could say Freewave's musician pet peeve is people arguing about old school dubstep versus modern dubstep.

(I of course believe it's silly to even be arguing about such a thing, let alone so vociferously. I don't think you're going to explode and splatter your immediate vicinity with body parts if you drop the matter.)

Anyway, real reason why I'm posting here is because I forgot one more musician pet peeve of mine: People who think the only way to learn is looking up tutorials. That's... nice, but someone with experience who can actually interact with you will be better than anything you find off of YouTube or a tutorial site. Now, the amount of benefit that that will give you will vary by margin depending on the quality of tutorial and the relative expertise of the one-on-one person in the subject as well his/her ability in teaching it, but on average from one-on-one sessions you will learn more, faster.
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

Postby CitricAcid » 16 Nov 2013 15:01

There's a few different ways you can communicate the type of music you listen to.

You: I listen to metal music.
Other person: You mean like Metallica?
[You get frustrated, because you hate Metallica.]

You: I listen to technical deathcore.
Other person: What's that?
You: Well it's like blah blah blah blah blah
[Other person walks away]

You: I listen to Born of Osiris and Veil of Maya.
Other person: Who are they?
You: They play technical deathcore music.
Other person: What's that?
You: It's a subgenre of metal.
Other person: You mean like Metallica?
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby JSynth » 16 Nov 2013 15:07

OK, everyone please take a deep breath.

Yes everyone.

Freewave, you too.

itroitnyah wrote:Ok. So, Queen. The majority of Queen's music is... Rock, right? We'd certainly all not agree on this.

How about AC/DC? I'm sure that all of us would also agree that they're rock, right?

What I can't understand now, is why it is that they're not called different genres if their music sounds so different from each other. And I don't want to suddenly have people say "Well, AC/DC is more of a hard rock and Queen is more of a somethingsomething rock" because that's like the difference between liquid dubstep and regular dubstep. In the end, it's still rock/dubstep.

When people say things like "Classic Rock" (Which is what Queen played) or "Hard Rock" they are referring to a sub-genre of music. Every genre has its sub-genres. Dubstep has its Classic Dubstep and Modern Dubstep (some people call it Brostep). Rock has subgenres such as Rock and Roll, Classic Rock, Hard Rock and Alternative Rock. Anther good example of this is Metal. Metal has many sub-genres such as Heavy Metal, Death Metal, Speed Metal, White Metal, Black Metal and so on.

The reason we don't split these into different genres entirely because everyone has different takes and styles within that genre. As more artists come into the scene these styles will diverge more and more until you have a new sub-genre. Its not anything to get worked up about, its simply the natural progression of music.

Now to get the thread back on topic:

One of my pet peeves is when people act like a certain artist is either perfect and can do no wrong or the worst possible person on the planet. (I see this a lot with Beiber)
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Nov 2013 15:16

JSynth wrote:The reason we don't split these into different genres entirely because everyone has different takes and styles within that genre. As more artists come into the scene these styles will diverge more and more until you have a new sub-genre. Its not anything to get worked up about, its simply the natural progression of music.
itroitnyah wrote:that's like the difference between liquid dubstep and regular dubstep. In the end, it's still rock/dubstep.
I am so sorry, I'll stop now. Just had to clarify something I said.

Ok. Like, you know what? I hate it when people boost the bass on a song and call it their "remix". I've seen it a few times.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Nov 2013 20:49

Dear Princess Ciribama,
Today I learnt never to talk about dubstep on music forums.

Loves and huggles,
Biggles.

PS: you haven't answered any letters in months.

(EDIT: can you tell that one of my pet peeves is people who get pissy over genres? Like, genres are good but fucking hell nobody cares if modern dubstep is different to old dubstep. BECAUSE EVERYONE KNOWS THAT.)
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby ArisingFlame » 16 Nov 2013 22:18

Soulja Boy.
Let me elaborate.
When "Crank That" came out, and I heard it for the first time, I was FURIOUS. I could hear every little thing used in that song and how... unoriginal it was, as far as not going to too much trouble to go beyond what you could find in a demo version of FL.
Likewise with any other popular artist that makes something so simple and with no real heart put into it but it explodes everywhere like fucking wildfire, and I'm sitting here hoping my 30ish followers don't unfollow me.
Not that there is anything wrong with simple, but lacking in any true heart I guess. And that's not quite the best way to put it either.
tl;dr, I'm jealous.
My first (and so far, only) pony track!
https://soundcloud.com/dj-broken-top/my-little-pony-i-have-to

I'm always open to do vocals for peoples! Sing/scream/rap, whatever it may be, I'm open!
My Solo Soundcloud - My Electronic Solo Soundcloud - My EDM Group's Soundcloud
ArisingFlame

Cutie Mark: My Beard

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Nov 2013 22:26

Soulja Boy is pretty much universally accepted as a shit artist. That's why he only ever got significant attention for 1 or 2 of his songs. He's barely even worth thinking about these days lol
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ArisingFlame » 16 Nov 2013 22:42

I know. I just bring up his name because that is the first time I can remember legitimately hating an artist for what they did.

I'm always open to do vocals for peoples! Sing/scream/rap, whatever it may be, I'm open!
ArisingFlame

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Nov 2013 22:55

Oh; another one of my peeves. People who rely super heavily on loops. Drum loops are fine if you've got one that just works in context, after all drums are drums. But melody or bass samples/loops bother me immensley. Same goes for using the presets from a synth like massive, using a nexus preset is at least using the thing 100% for its intended use, but when you have something capable of making its own sounds you have no excuse imo.

Inb4 someone who uses presets and loops gets annoyed at me.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ArisingFlame » 16 Nov 2013 23:01

And there is a difference between using presets, and finding a preset you like and tweaking it to your liking.

ArisingFlame

Postby itroitnyah » 16 Nov 2013 23:22

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Inb4 someone who uses presets and loops gets annoyed at me.
Idk, there are some people who have legitimate arguments to why they use presets or loops.

Like, maybe they just want to sing their hearts contents out, but they aren't really good at composition or such. And they don't really have anybody that can do that for them. Of course I'm talking fighting words now. God, everything people say on this forum is the start of a fight, isn't it? haha.

I get really annoyed when people repeat the cliches in music.

lol *joke about 12 year old trying to be skrillex with his beats by dr. dre*

*joke about Massive being a preset machine for elitists*

*joke about pirating software*

*joke about stuck up cunt dj who thinks he's hot shit*

You all get the idea.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 17 Nov 2013 01:14

People like DJ-Pon-3 who rip off other artists. Like holy shit do his fans not notice that he blatantly copies Skrillex? Then again these are people who willingly listen to The Pinkie Shake...

(EDIT: to clarify, imitating someone else's sound is alright by my standards, because people usually do that as a means of learning anyway)

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Fl Brony » 17 Nov 2013 04:11

-People who get mad at bass drops in EDM music
-People who think electronic musicians aren't real musicians
-Musicians who think that they're better than someone else
-People who hate a song because it has screams in it while enjoying it 5 seconds ago
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 17 Nov 2013 04:20

Fl Brony wrote:-People who hate a song because it has screams in it while enjoying it 5 seconds ago

So what it's wrong to stop enjoying a song when it stops being enjoyable to you?

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Gray Ham » 17 Nov 2013 06:08

Facade wrote:being completely shit at music

This and accidentally abusing thirds and being too lazy to do anything about it.
currently on a hiatus from actively making music due to school

ImageImage
What's soaking wet and clueless?
Gray Ham

Primary: ACID
Cutie Mark: A Trumpet

Postby ExoBassTix » 17 Nov 2013 06:12

Empyre One.

Officially, they made a lot of tracks (note that they're all remixes), but technically, they made just one.
All tracks got the same intro, build-up, release, mainly the same construction with exactly the same sounds.
The only difference in all their tracks are signature key, vocals and the synth melody pattern in the big build-up. For the rest it's all the same.
When I only knew one of their tracks, however, I really thought them to be master producers. Then I found a second.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 17 Nov 2013 06:21

I think I'm probably speaking for a lot of people when I say this.
Big Room House. All that buildup for shit all payoff, that pisses me off especially Silva Hound's VIP of How Far We've Come. Seriously that didn't even transition into bigroom well. It's tailor-made to be played at clubs and that's exactly why it sucks.

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Freewave » 17 Nov 2013 11:22

itroitnyah wrote:
Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:Inb4 someone who uses presets and loops gets annoyed at me.
Idk, there are some people who have legitimate arguments to why they use presets or loops.

Like, maybe they just want to sing their hearts contents out, but they aren't really good at composition or such. And they don't really have anybody that can do that for them. Of course I'm talking fighting words now. God, everything people say on this forum is the start of a fight, isn't it? haha.

Yeah a lot of conversations seem like someone is putting down the gauntlet to possibly start an argument. :D Music is something that the more you know and the more self reliant you are in its creation the less you need to rely on tools to assist in its creation and the better it will sound. I do think its kind of silly for other musicians to constantly tell other musicians would they should and shouldn't use as that leads to some overt snobbery and drama. People should try to make their music they want to make and if you have to use some tools (that others are avoiding and aren't utilizing) to make that happen its ok as long as you're still finding away to learn and take something away from making it (maybe focusing on lyrics, vocals, production). In the end your ideal listener can be a fellow musician with high standards (with a list of demands) or be a brony with earbuds who doesn't care about presets, loops, and doesn't make music. Know your audience but aim as high as you can. If you're fully self-sufficient and skilled you can appease both and that's ultimately where you'd want to end up in the end. :wink:
Freewave

Postby FLAOFEI » 17 Nov 2013 15:32

I don't like genres.
True, I get annoyed when people say Breakcore is Dubstep :cry: :???: but the concept of genres is just stupid imo.

As a response to everyone who actually cares about genres:

THEY DON'T WORK!!!
Either every song is its own genre or everything falls in to the same genre called "Sounds"

Spoiler ARGUMENTS:
Srsly, from what I have learnt from genre arguments is that every genre is derived from an earlier genre. That sounds a lot like evolution of species, right? Well species are defined by if they can breed and produce fertile offspring... So if we go there... all genres can be crossed with each other :O, so they are all the same genre... right? Trust me, it made sense in my head...

Point is, all music has something in common, thus it can be categorised as the same genre.
Then again, every song has something that puts it apart from every other song. So they can get their own genres...

And there ya go! Mortals should never discuss genres! For the mortals have not set proper boundaries for where genres end and others begin.

there are rules for genres, but artists break these rules all the time, and there aren't enough genres to go around...

As for their usefulness... I used to try finding new music I might by searching "Breakcore", "IDM", or "Brostep" (or other genres I like). Granted, I found a few nice mixes, but it's just like deciding if you like an something from its reviews, which is stupid, ignorant and if you do it you should really... you shouldn't do it.
)>-<)))^*> Sharkpon4srs
https://soundcloud.com/flaofei/brothel-king
Rainbow Dash lives on SOUNDCLOUD; Big Mac posts on Eeyyuptube; Twilight is a BOOKfACE; Octavia went to BandCamp! And Derpy has bad balance, you could say she TUMBLrING
ImageOMG POLKA PLOT!!! BEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF POLKACORE!!!
FLAOFEI

Primary: Fruit Loops 10
Cutie Mark: POLKA PLOT

Postby Freewave » 17 Nov 2013 18:59

A genre is just pieces of music that follow particular formulas. You can alter that formula and mix and match until you get a hybrid (drumstep is drum+bass plus dubstep) or until your have something that fits nothing. Since most music fits particular styles its really no big deal to use them as guideline or to avoid any such rules.

As you said genres are evolution over time and therefore something like "dubstep" become more meaningless over time because what dubstep was and what is now have changed. It still has a meaning even if some people use the word wrong.
Freewave

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 17 Nov 2013 20:20

All right, onto less sensative peeves then.
Sample packs that pad out the kit with repeated samples or samples that aren't even what they're meant to be (I have packs that have 2 or more 'snares' that're just a ride or closed hat).

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Mesogears » 17 Nov 2013 22:39

Speaking of which:

Drum samples that have a short delay (silence, not the effect) at the beginning. I usually arrange drum parts with the step sequencer in FL, so naturally this bugs me to no end.
"Melodyne is the glue that holds our vocals together."
~vladnuke
https://soundcloud.com/mgmusic19/vision-of-before-featfritzybeat

For clarity's sake, Mesogears = The Lunar Conspiracy
Mesogears

Cutie Mark: Drums

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 18 Nov 2013 00:06

Mesogears wrote:Speaking of which:

Drum samples that have a short delay (silence, not the effect) at the beginning. I usually arrange drum parts with the step sequencer in FL, so naturally this bugs me to no end.

Use the Trim knob in the sampler. Problem solved :P

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby ClaviSound » 18 Nov 2013 01:48

Does it count if we talk about getting on other musicians' cases? Because if so, I'd like to append "musicians who seem eager to move on something (and probably legitimately like the idea) but then never do work on it for one reason or another but still contend that they're doing it." I understand if it takes time, but if you're going to say "I want to do this" then at least tell the truth, because if you really did want to do it you'd be doing it instead of telling me you want to do it. Show don't tell still applies, even if it's outside literature.

There's also a place for those who are too lazy to even apologize for cancelling collaborations. (To be fair, I've only really met one person who actually said "I'm too lazy to apologize," and he's still a friend, but the fact that he did it still pissed me off for quite a while.)
aka Scott Hopkins aka Swerve Keystyle aka Equestrian Threat: https://www.youtube.com/c/EquestrianThreat

I can't type cursive, so I don't know what's supposed to go in my signature.

Don't quote me.
ClaviSound

Primary: Audacity cuz sweg, Ableton
Cutie Mark: N/A

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion