Official Discussion Thread (Ghost Edit)

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Official Dish Cushion Thread

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 08 Feb 2016 17:43

Ricky Denzel wrote:I'm back! It's been a long time since I was here

It's been almost 1/6 of a year. That's one over six.
Let me inform you on what you've missed in that amount of time: not really much at all really.
Bronies Are Cool

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Snowboard

Postby Facade » 08 Feb 2016 23:36

Bronies Are Cool wrote: not really much at all really.

this

maybe s6 hype will bring some people back
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Acsii » 10 Feb 2016 04:32

Facade wrote:

this

why would people get hyped over an Avid product that no one here could hope to afford and has been out for over a year?
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Fl Brony » 10 Feb 2016 11:20

that feel when you want to make a song inspired by anime but
which anime do i choose
i need a life......
I rap, make teh electronics, and try to be br00tz.
I also go by JokerCard for non pony stuff
My Youtube
My Soundcloud
I have a Tumblr...
I have a Twitter or something...

Fl Brony

Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 10 Feb 2016 14:43

Acsii wrote:
Facade wrote:

this

why would people get hyped over an Avid product that no one here could hope to afford and has been out for over a year?

The iPhone is a bit more classy tbh.

I have visited the same restaurant enough that me and my group know the owner and are certainly considered regulars there. I order the same thing every time, so they don't even have to ask me what I want any more. They just get it. Which is kind of cool.
The owner likes me (and my group that visits here often) enough that he once even let the five of us just have free lunch. It was pretty rad.
Tl;dr: am a regular at a restaurant, comes with benefits.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Facade » 11 Feb 2016 20:32

Bronies Are Cool wrote:The iPhone is a bit more classy tbh.

true but i have no use for a phone so i dont care for android or iphone (or windows phone if thats still a thing)
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Acsii » 11 Feb 2016 21:18

Okay now I'm really confused... how is an iPhone classier to mix on than a proper mixing surface that costs at least $20k????
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 12 Feb 2016 02:01

Fl Brony wrote:that feel when you want to make a song inspired by anime but
which anime do i choose
i need a life......

The answer is don't. Not unless you're legitimately inspired by something. Trust me, wanting to be inspired by and being inspired by are two very different things and only one of them is contusive to actually getting anything worthwhile done.

Just make music, don't fuss over what inspires it. It's a waste of time.

This has been life advice with Biggles.
[plays a lame jingle]
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 12 Feb 2016 09:13

Acsii wrote:Okay now I'm really confused... how is an iPhone classier to mix on than a proper mixing surface that costs at least $20k????

You can't fit an Avid product in your pocket tho!!??!!!!!!111!!!!!
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 13 Feb 2016 01:30

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
Acsii wrote:Okay now I'm really confused... how is an iPhone classier to mix on than a proper mixing surface that costs at least $20k????

Who cares what you mix on? Like if a phone can perform the same function as some overpriced avid product then who should care that someone isn't buying the overpriced avid product.

What you mix on is completely secondary to the act of mixing.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Acsii » 13 Feb 2016 08:38

Mr. Bigglesworth wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:

Who cares what you mix on? Like if a phone can perform the same function as some overpriced avid product then who should care that someone isn't buying the overpriced avid product.

What you mix on is completely secondary to the act of mixing.

lol you missed the whole sarcasm of all that haha
Acsii

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 13 Feb 2016 10:54

Acsii wrote:lol you missed the whole sarcasm of all that haha

[sadly fweets a party whistle]

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby topitmunkeydog » 13 Feb 2016 23:11

hey what do u cats thing of this thing i made?? its the first piece ive made that i actually sort of like but at the same time i neither know what to think nor where it is going.
Last edited by topitmunkeydog on 24 Jul 2018 17:10, edited 1 time in total.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby Acsii » 13 Feb 2016 23:54

In all due seriousness about the S6, I've used one and it is the most flawed piece of tech ever... yes it's good to mix on, but not so much when you need to restart it ever 30 minutes.
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 14 Feb 2016 01:06

topitmunkeydog wrote:hey what do u cats thing of this thing i made?? its the first piece ive made that i actually sort of like but at the same time i neither know what to think nor where it is going.
https://soundcloud.com/topitmunkeydog/wip

Not sure how I feel about the drums.
I listened to it on my phone, but it felt like it needs to be mixed. The parts where you had the snare (or clap) sample being hit a bunch of time in succession was pretty loud and over bearing when ever it happens.
I liked the piano melodies the most.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby topitmunkeydog » 14 Feb 2016 18:37

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
topitmunkeydog wrote:hey what do u cats thing of this thing i made?? its the first piece ive made that i actually sort of like but at the same time i neither know what to think nor where it is going.

I listened to it on my phone, but it felt like it needs to be mixed. The parts where you had the snare (or clap) sample being hit a bunch of time in succession was pretty loud and over bearing when ever it happens.

thank you for the feedback! yeah it sounds fine on my speakers, but on anything else it sounds so bad like im not having a fun time with mixing (mostly because idk how to do it)
also did you just have a problem with how loud the drums are, or do you recommend changing the pattern to? (a lot of the things were mistakes with the beat repeat that I didnt bother fixing lol)
also thanks!! instead of using ableton's piano setting which i HATEEEEEE i just recorded my real piano and sampled it bc im jazzy like that
topitmunkeydog

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 15 Feb 2016 08:51

topitmunkeydog wrote:
Bronies Are Cool wrote:

thank you for the feedback! yeah it sounds fine on my speakers, but on anything else it sounds so bad like im not having a fun time with mixing (mostly because idk how to do it)
also did you just have a problem with how loud the drums are, or do you recommend changing the pattern to? (a lot of the things were mistakes with the beat repeat that I didnt bother fixing lol)
also thanks!! instead of using ableton's piano setting which i HATEEEEEE i just recorded my real piano and sampled it bc im jazzy like that

Personally, I would change the pattern, but that's because I have a kind of different style of music.
Maybe try a house style of music? With a 4by4 drum pattern and see what kinds of variations you can make with that? Idk
Just mess around with the drums. Typically, a good drum pattern is one that is so good, it's kind of overlooked in the song. In most cases, the drums are not the focus of the song, so try to make the drums less of the focus and more of a tool to help progress the song and carry it along.

When it comes to mixing, your likely going to wanna use limiters.
Put a limiter on literally every instrument/sample. And then also an equalizer on everything too. Cut frequencies that overlap a lot. (Highs should be in the high region, not in the bass region. Let the bass do its thing.)
Not sure what you're using, but if its fly studio, I can definitely help out more than with another program.
I could throw together a tutorial on how to mix "for beginners"
Not that im fantastic at it myself, but I can at least give you a bit of help to improve on it.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby topitmunkeydog » 15 Feb 2016 15:17

Bronies Are Cool wrote:Personally, I would change the pattern, but that's because I have a kind of different style of music.
Maybe try a house style of music? With a 4by4 drum pattern and see what kinds of variations you can make with that? Idk
Just mess around with the drums. Typically, a good drum pattern is one that is so good, it's kind of overlooked in the song. In most cases, the drums are not the focus of the song, so try to make the drums less of the focus and more of a tool to help progress the song and carry it along.

Put a limiter on literally every instrument/sample. And then also an equalizer on everything too. Cut frequencies that overlap a lot. (Highs should be in the high region, not in the bass region. Let the bass do its thing.)
Not sure what you're using, but if its fly studio, I can definitely help out more than with another program.
I could throw together a tutorial on how to mix "for beginners"
Not that im fantastic at it myself, but I can at least give you a bit of help to improve on it.

thank u for all this feedback its a godsend!
yeah idk about the drum pattern. I'll try a house style of drums, but I probably won't like it because I don't really like that kind of music. When I made this the things I was listening to mostly were BATHS, Mister Lies, and Nujabes (im sure you can hear the stuff i stole from these folks haha like mister lies does all that side chainy stuff and nujabes sampled like jazz pianists a lot it seems but i played my own)
But I really like that piece of advice about not noticing the drums! For the drums I was going for something a little like Purity Ring or, I'm ashamed to say, Yung Lean (its awful ik) idk something less conventional.
Also thanks for the advice on limiters; I didn't know about those!! BTW, im using Ableton live.
anyway thank u so much pal!
topitmunkeydog

Postby LFP » 16 Feb 2016 03:34

You definitely do not want to use a limiter for everything, lower the volume and use a compressor instead, and you don't even want to use that for everything.
Personally I really only ever use a limiter on my master and I often make do without it ^^
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 16 Feb 2016 14:34

LFP wrote:

You definitely do not want to use a limiter for everything, lower the volume and use a compressor instead, and you don't even want to use that for everything.
Personally I really only ever use a limiter on my master and I often make do without it ^^

Oh God yes.
Compressor.
I was thinking of compressors wham I typed that, but I said limiter for some reason.
Sorry for that mislead.
I used to use limiters exclusively until I found out how much I liked compressors better and how much better they actually are.

Emphasis on using COMPRESSORS!!!!!!!11!1!!

So, I'm thinking of changing my artist name to:
Lucid Memories
Bronies Are Cool

Postby LFP » 17 Feb 2016 04:45

Bronies Are Cool wrote:
LFP wrote:

Oh God yes.
Compressor.
I was thinking of compressors wham I typed that, but I said limiter for some reason.
Sorry for that mislead.
I used to use limiters exclusively until I found out how much I liked compressors better and how much better they actually are.

Emphasis on using COMPRESSORS!!!!!!!11!1!!

Just don't overdo the compression!
I'll usually have a compressor on Vocals, drums and everything acoustic (guitar piano etc) but I very rarely use them on synths since there's almost no need (everything the compressor does can be fixed in the synth itself) unless I want to have more of that nice compression distortion compact sound.

So, I'm thinking of changing my artist name to:
Lucid Memories

Sounds good
Brony Music Directory
Nine Volt wrote:That feel when 9V will never take you out to dinner 3:
LFP

Cutie Mark: Blank flank4evar

Postby Acsii » 17 Feb 2016 06:26

With mixing you should only apply Compression, eq and others if it's needed. Not just straight away put a comp and EQ on everything.
Also start with a rough level mix, then stereo imaging, and then any corrective or creative effects. With compression make sure to match the volume, as our ears tend to think louder sounds better, so make sure to adjust the output gain/make-up gain on the comp to the same as the dry signal. And if you're using vocals don't be scared to do a little parallel compression.
Acsii

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 17 Feb 2016 08:00

Speaking of compression: anyone know of any good tutorials or videos talks about compression and mixing in action? Most videos I have seen are done by n00bZ and generally aren't super helpful beyond getting that first step into the concept.
Bronies Are Cool

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 17 Feb 2016 10:44

Pro audio files on YouTube are pretty good in my experience. They always demo on commercial jobs they're doing and they're reasonably easy to follow

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Postby Bronies Are Cool » 17 Feb 2016 18:27

Update about becoming a tv star:
The Producer has liked everything about my company so far. He has liked the stories, our site, and etc. so, they escalated us to the next step and are going to be having a skype call to see how camera ready we are. I won't be included in the skype call unfortunately, but that's because the more interesting people of the company will be on the call.
However, I will be cool enough to have a little bit of assistance in setting up skype to allow the call since nobody has skype at my work. So, yay?
Bronies Are Cool

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion