Logic Pro X has been released

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Logic Pro X has been released

Postby ChocolateChicken » 16 Jul 2013 18:28

What do you guys think? First impressions? For those of you who are already using it, how is it?

http://www.apple.com/logic-pro/

Honestly it looks very appetizing and sexy to me. People who are saying it's bad because it looks like Garageband are people who don't seem to know how to form logical opinions.

Lots of new features, an improved score editor, a new Flex Pitch feature, a sleeker looking mixer, and the overall colors of the daw look less plain and boring in comparison to Logic Pro 9. And wow, a maximum of 255 tracks!

I'll look into the plugins that come with it, but so far it looks yummy to me!
Last edited by ChocolateChicken on 16 Jul 2013 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
ChocolateChicken

Primary: Logic Pro
Cutie Mark: Blank Flank

Re: Logic Pro X has been released

Postby Facade » 16 Jul 2013 18:33

it looks like a good daw for people starting out cause just seeing it it looks easy to use

not sure about the functionality of it but it looks ok definitely a step up from gband >.>
Last edited by Facade on 16 Jul 2013 20:22, edited 1 time in total.
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Mr. Bigglesworth » 16 Jul 2013 18:59

Well, I'll let the audio guy at work know about that before he decides to upgrade.
I'm not here anymore, but if you want you can still just call me Mr. BigBagelBoggle!

Sound
Face
You
Mr. Bigglesworth

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: My own ass

Postby Orange » 16 Jul 2013 19:20

Actually, Logic Pro X has full support for AU plugins, it even upgraded to support 64 bit AU (unless they already did support that, tho i dun think so)

yeah.. it doesn't allow VSTs but that's because macs have NEVER worked with VSTs. plugins aren't vst-specific
Orange

Postby ChocolateChicken » 16 Jul 2013 19:41

Because Facade is spreading false information, and the mods on this site don't do anything about users who spread false info, I'll just post Logic Pro X's compatibility from their website:

Logic Pro X supports third party plugins, ReWire, AAF, and Core Audio.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Nine Volt » 16 Jul 2013 19:45

ChocolateChicken wrote:Because Facade is spreading false information, and the mods on this site don't do anything, I'll just post Logic Pro X's compatibility from their website:

Logic Pro X supports third party plugins, ReWire, AAF, and Core Audio.

I feex. And kid. Mostly.

Regarding Logic Pro X, looks pretty cool. I'd get it if I had a Mac.
Nine Volt

Postby Conduit » 16 Jul 2013 21:40

Logic has never supported VST's to my knowledge, but this doesn't matter since most if not all plugins come with AU versions. Also, to whoever said there are no vst's on mac, there are, I used them in Ableton all the time before switching to Logic.

As for the actual release, I really like the look of it. Grouping tracks into collapsible piles is something I've really been missing since my switch to logic, and the pitch correcter thing looks simple and powerful. I'll probably pick it up once I save up enough, for $200 its a bargain.
https://soundcloud.com/flatflish/a-warm-past

DAW: Logic 9
Vst's: Absynth, Battery, FM8, Guitar Rig, Kontakt, Massive, Maschine
Real Instruments: Acoustic/Electric Guitar, Cello, Piano

YoutubeSoundcloudTutors ThreadSkype: FlatflishImage
Conduit

Primary: Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: Strings

Postby S.P.P » 17 Jul 2013 02:35

I'm pretty excited to use this when I get back to college and I'm sure my professors are jizzing over this already.
S.P.P

Primary: FL Studio, Ableton, Pro Tools

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Jul 2013 03:37

HMage wrote:Yeah, VST plugins are not supported by Logic 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/X, never were, but AU (AudioUnit) plugins are. And almost every plugin I know has an AU version too, no big deal. Most people use AU in Logic without even realising it's called that way.

Yup. It's basically a non-issue with Logic, despite outside observers speculating that it is a problem.

I looked on the official page for it and Logic now includes new instruments and a ton of new and more modern percussion samples, which is a huge improvement as well.

I have yet to find any big criticisms of Logic Pro X except for this from one of the composers of Friendship is Magic:

"Logic X still lacks multiple visible CC automation lanes within MIDI regions. I'm sorry, you can't call yourself a pro DAW without it. #ugh" - Steffan Andrews ‏@orchetect; on twitter.
ChocolateChicken

Postby JayB » 17 Jul 2013 05:20

Well, Logic for Windows DID support VSTs. ^^
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby Viricide Filly » 17 Jul 2013 07:02

This entire thread has pissed me off for a few reaons.
1) this thread is about Logic pro X, so when people state their own opinions on it, you act like a douche.
2) Facade may have worded his info wrong, or have been told the wrong info, or got the wrong end of the stick, yet you have been MONUMENTALLY rude to him over and over again when he's just trying to state what he thinks. You think he's making PERSONAL ATTACKS against your precious DAW and you're responding in a bloody retarded way if you ask me, and that's bang out of order.
3) You dismiss everyone's claims of you being a douche, saying it's "off topic" when it clearly isn't since you being a douche is definitely on topic since you're being a douche about Logic Pro X, respectively.

Every single post you made makes you come off as more and more of a typically rude, elitist cunt. And the filly hates elitist cunts :I
So just buck up your ideas m808 and we can get this thread back on topic without any more arguing.
We breakfast is e

House. Glitch Hop. IDM. Breakbeat. Chillout. Footwork. Lo-fi. Vaporwave. Noise. These are some of the genres I like to completely ruin.
Viricide Filly

Primary: Hula Hoops
Cutie Mark: electric!1!11!

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Jul 2013 18:22

Sorry to hear that Viricide Filly. If Logic Pro X makes you so angry, then you could always use a different daw if you want.

Regarding Steffan Andrew's twitter post, what is "multiple visible CC automation lanes within MIDI regions" anyway? Isn't that just being able to see multiple automation tracks under a single track? If this is the case, then I'm almost certain previous versions of logic, as well as Logic Pro X are able to do this.

People are also criticizing the new daw because of the added Drummer feature, saying it's pointless because it's not difficult for anybody - beginners or experts - to program drums in midi, although I don't see it that way; every daw comes with drum loops of some kind, and this Drummer feature, to me, is a more powerful version of Apple Loops, so there's really nothing negative about it that I can think of.

Also I saw some demonstrations of Flex Pitch and it works like a charm! I still don't know how it compares to Melodyne though.
ChocolateChicken

Postby Stars In Autumn » 17 Jul 2013 19:02

Okay, I thought about locking this topic but it's as good a place to answer this question as anywhere.

I don't use Logic but Apple stopped supporting VSTs after Logic 9. Edit: Apparently this is wrong, they never supported VSTs.

They support AU plugins. There's an AU plugin by FXpansion called VST-AU Adapter that servers as a wrapper for VSTs: http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=5. As far as I'm aware, this hasn't changed with 10.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Jul 2013 19:11

Logic Pro using AU plugins only is not new, nor is it specific to Logic Pro X, but rather, all versions of Logic since about 2004.

The only difference in the current version of Logic Pro X, is that 32 bit plugins are no longer supported, but I am confident that upcoming updates to Logic Pro X will revise this and allow 32 bit plugins.

Also, when you buy Logic Pro X, you can actually keep Logic Pro 9 as a separate program! So you can use both if you want to! Also, Logic Pro 9 project files can be opened in Logic Pro X haha. That's pretty sweet.
ChocolateChicken

Postby cyrricky » 17 Jul 2013 19:28

Facade wrote:i know from what I've heard reason doesn't support 3rd party plugins

Yes it does.
Youtube - Soundcloud - Tumblr

DAW: Propellerhead Reason 6
cyrricky

Primary: Reason

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 17 Jul 2013 20:08

Alright I've tidied up the thread a bit, because you guys are all arguing about nonsensical things. Let me dispel a lot of the confusion.

Logic Pro is only available on OS X. It does not support Mac VST's like Live does, it uses it's own format call Audio Units (AUs). I believe what the source initially was is that Logic no longer supports 32bit plugins over a bridge, it is simply 64bit native, like Live, so synths like Sylenth, Synplant and anything else without 64bit support is not supported anymore.

I'm pretty much done with Logic, I honestly don't see why people are excited for this new version. The new feature list is very short. First, I dislike the new UI, it's too much like Garageband, and I think it looks tacky and kiddish in a lot of places. Secondly, the new mixer's features are ridiculous. You used to be able to edit the plugin order, bypass and change the setting by using key modifiers. Now you hover over the plugin, and it splits into three smaller buttons, so you need to place the cursor exactly where the option is that you need.

The group channel functionality looks alright, nothing to really rave about as every DAW has it already. Same with the arpeggiator. The drummer, while a nice afterthought, isn't really that big a deal for most, as a lot of producers are perfectly capable of either programming their own drums, or recording them via MIDI or using loops.

The reviews of the Melodyne clone are pretty much 'It's alright, not amazing.', I can't add more to that at the moment. I've not heard anything about the retro synth that they've included but I can't get excited for it. Smart Controls are a nice idea, but they will be limited to the built in plugins, which I will speak about later.

Overall, this could have been a patch for 9. One of my main gripes with this is the lack of any upgrade path from 9. It's pretty cheap, I'll admit, but I'd be paying $199 for a skin and a few new features I'd barely use. I'm sure there's a lot of optimization, but I shouldn't have to pay for it. Logic 9 is getting pretty unstable as the OSX versions progress, and I have read many accounts of people moving to other DAWs, and then seeing this as a 'too little too late' upgrade to a DAW that's severely past it's sell by date.

The in built plugins for Logic are dated, a lot of the instruments were good for their time, but the lack of any major addition here after four years is very disappointing. While I can't speak for the unannounced improvements to it, such as the bug fix list, I can't say I'm sold, as a long term user, Live gets my dedication now. It's a shame, I would have liked to see it bounce back and become a part of my workflow again, but $199 is a pretty hefty price for what essentially amounts to DLC.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby ChocolateChicken » 17 Jul 2013 20:46

Couldn't your criticism of Apple's inclusion of the Drummer feature be applied to any of the Apple Loops as well? The Drummer feature is an option, so it's not like you have to use it in order to program drums; you can still do that with midi if you like.

While the discounted price for Logic Pro 9 users is non-existant, you have to remember that Logic Pro X is not an upgrade. Like I said, upon purchasing and installing Logic Pro X, you will still have Logic Pro 9 and all of it's functionality, so you have both Logic Pro 9 and X instead of replacing it with X. The fact that they still let you use 9 is pretty generous I think.

Yeah, the plugins for Logic are becoming dated, and I too am pretty mad at Apple's developers for not writing some updated or new instruments/effects for it's users too, but I don't think they are dated just YET. Instruments like Ultrabeat and Sculpture are still very fine synths, and the instrument samples in EXS are better than most daws' built in samples. I'm also very pleased with Logic Pro's compressor; it's got to be the best compressor out there with its 6 different compressor circuits, and the other effects like Space Designer and so on are wonderful to use.

And I don't see what's so tacky and kiddish about Logic Pro X's UI if it has all the functionality and capabilities of Logic Pro 9.

The new mixer controls are changeable, I believe, but I'm not 100% sure. When you first start Logic Pro X, you are given the option to use the old key modifiers and commands instead of Logic Pro X default functions.
Last edited by ChocolateChicken on 18 Jul 2013 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
ChocolateChicken

Postby JayB » 18 Jul 2013 00:05

The new UI looks nice to me but even if I'm a convinced Logic user I won't buy it. Why? Because at the moment Logic 9 works flawlessly on OS X Lion and as long as I haven't used over 50% of the already existing features I don't see the need for new ones. I recently found out that you can have logarithmic automation curves. No one told me that before so I know where I'm standing right now...

And about the drummer feature: I'm a decent keyboard drummer, I can do this quickly myself. And for everything else there's EZ Drummer. ;)
YouTubeHomepage
DAW: Apple Logic Pro 9
Hardware gear: Yamaha AN1x, S80, PLG150-AN, QY100, Roland V-Synth XT, Korg X5D, Quasimidi Sirius, CME UF7
Audio Units: Lennar Digital Sylenth, LinPlug CronoX, Korg Legacy Collection Analog and more...
JayB

Primary: Apple Logic Pro 9
Cutie Mark: three crossed tuning forks

Postby S.P.P » 18 Jul 2013 08:27

I would be more excited if they added more instruments.
The built-in's like ES2 and ESX don't hold a candle to FLs built-in's like Biohazard and Harmor. Don't take this as a "my DAW is better than your DAW" thing, because I use Logic at college and I do like it. Unfortunately, we don't have any 3rd party at college and the stock instruments are a little lacking in my opinion.
Please feel free to prove me wrong though - I'd love to know I could squeeze more out of ES2.
S.P.P

Postby JacksonMiller » 18 Jul 2013 08:51

I think logic looks ok. the loops and the synths are pretty interesting. 10/10
I barely go on this website nowadays...

Soundcloud
ToneDen
Twitter
Facebook

JacksonMiller

Primary: FL Studio 11 (formerly Reason)
Cutie Mark: Da fuq's a cutie mark?

Postby Nine Volt » 18 Jul 2013 09:15

It looks kinda like a new skin for Logic with more beginner-oriented options than before. Looks like it could've/should've been an upgrade.
Comments below were (for the most part) made as I read the thing linked in the OP.

Drummer looks a bit... useless. Most producers are capable of programming their own drums or using loops, I don't really see a need for it. Group tracks is a functionality of most DAWs anyway, I'm surprised they're only just introducing it.

I don't quite get why Apple decided to be elitists and only use their own plugin format. What's wrong with VSTs, exactly? Also, the (from what I gather) fact that non-64 bit plugins like Sylenth and Synplant aren't supported anymore is kind of annoying.

The "Retro Synth" seems a bit pointless. There's free plugins that do and have done essentially the same thing.

Again, I'm surprised they're just introducing a built-in arpeggiator now. Reason, for one, has had it since version 4 (so for at least 4-5 years). I can't speak for other DAWs, but it seems like a common feature.

Oh look, Melodyne clone.

Smart Controls, if limited to just built-in plugins, are a bit of a superfluous idea IMO.

Logic Remote is just pointless.

That's it? I was expecting at least some updates to the built-in synths. If they're as dated as Lav and Pyre say then I'm surprised they're not willing to update them to something better.
Nine Volt

Postby S.P.P » 18 Jul 2013 09:58

Nine Volt wrote:Oh look, Melodyne clone.

Well if it's (even nearly) as good, then that's actually a really nice addition.
S.P.P

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 18 Jul 2013 11:43

PYR3LIGHT wrote:
Nine Volt wrote:Oh look, Melodyne clone.

Well if it's (even nearly) as good, then that's actually a really nice addition.

From the audio demo's I've heard, it isn't.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby the4thImpulse » 18 Jul 2013 12:41

A podcast thing I listen to from time to time did an episode about Logic X

the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Postby Freewave » 18 Jul 2013 13:07

So you don't get the program for a discount if you're a prior owner of the older version? Is that not customary?
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion