So Youtube is forcing people to upgrade to Youtube One

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

So Youtube is forcing people to upgrade to Youtube One

Postby Freewave » 23 May 2013 10:42

So Youtube is forcing people to upgrade to Youtube One in 13 days. All those personalized options we switched over to last year will be erased for something much more compact, impersonal, and with less options and features. I know people were seeing pop ups asking to switch but now there's a gun to our head.

Your new channel features cross-device branding, a channel trailer for new viewers, and better organization of your videos and playlists.
13 days left to upgrade
If no action is taken by June 5th, your account will be automatically upgraded.

More info http://www.youtube.com/onechannel

Would love to hear from those who've switched on why they LIKE the new format. Otherwise I'm gonna really miss having a background wallpaper, a larger layout and extra columns, for something thats a lot more quished. After the soundcloud "improvements" i'm very wary that change in format is always good.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Re: So Youtube is forcing people to upgrade to Youtube One

Postby ExoBassTix » 23 May 2013 11:09

I'm actually fucking angry right now.
I SHALL ONLY ACCEPT IF LAGS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby Kibbie » 23 May 2013 11:18

It seems like the new YouTube layout is just to advertise other parts of YouTube even more. If anything it looks like YouTube channels are now facebook accounts.
Kibbie

Primary: Microsoft Paint
Cutie Mark: D o g e

Postby ExoBassTix » 23 May 2013 11:21

^that. Can't agree more.
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby simonli2575 » 23 May 2013 11:55

Oh god, I thought it was just a joke to make fun of XBOX ONE.
If only YouTube allows for more customizations, then we might not have such problems.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Freewave » 23 May 2013 12:11

I looked at a "recommended" youtube 1 channel and it looks like what they RECOMMEND is having a intro video as your welcoming video (which can be your most recent track or a static blurb), a much better banner, and then almost everything below is playlist driven, allowing for several of those. So if you're already using playlists a lot to break down your tracks on your channel it might be a huge departure.

I still hate change tho
Freewave

Postby the4thImpulse » 23 May 2013 12:18

I really don't see the problem with it, I just upgraded and there isn't really anything much different about it. I find it easier to navigate, it shows more content (videos) on my large computer screen, easier to add playlists and change the order they appear on screen. The trailer thing is a cool idea for some people and you don't need to use it if you don't want to.

EDIT: Of course I don't see why they needed a change at all, the last one worked fine by my low standards.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Nine Volt » 23 May 2013 13:07

I don't see any problems with it. What's the point in switching? Youtube is easily the largest video sharing community, plus they're really not bad.
Nine Volt

Postby Freewave » 23 May 2013 13:11

Kyoga wrote:I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for a good opportunity to switch to something better.
Maybe vimeo

I don't know of a single brony musician that's using vimeo tbh. youtube is THe standard. So many people use different hosts for the audio (soundcloud, eqbeats, pony.fm, mediafire) but the video is always ytube. Besides having to switch and adapt to the new format i dont see a reason to go to a host that no one else is using. :? Even vimeo vids are on ytube (which is vaguely irritating i must add as they always have commercials before them)
Freewave

Postby Sonarch » 23 May 2013 13:37

Ugh, I don't see why these sites find it necessary to make some goofy change every so often when there's really nothing wrong with them. Mainly facebook and youtube. There should be a menu of some sort where you can apply the changes that you want, you know?
My goal is to be capable of making any kind of music that strikes my fancy, and do it well.
Twitter @SonarchMusic
Soundcloud
Tumblr
Sonarch

Postby ganondox » 23 May 2013 13:45

Freewave wrote: After the soundcloud "improvements" i'm very wary that change in format is always good.

Hey, Soundcloud's upgrade was like the one website upgrade that can possibly interpreted as being progressive instead of degrading. :P

Nine Volt wrote:I don't see any problems with it. What's the point in switching? Youtube is easily the largest video sharing community, plus they're really not bad.

Exactly. The problem is the change here is going to ultimately be FORCED, and it will remove all customization options we have had.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby itroitnyah » 23 May 2013 14:34

It really seems like they're just adding more ways to advertise your account to viewers. I really don't care, but that's just me.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby ph00tbag » 23 May 2013 15:01

It works fine for me. It'd be nice to have a tad more customization in terms of format, but all told, I like how the discussion board is more accessible, and the banners are really neat.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Postby CDPP » 23 May 2013 15:08

Freewave wrote:
Kyoga wrote:I'm just kinda sitting here waiting for a good opportunity to switch to something better.
Maybe vimeo

I don't know of a single brony musician that's using vimeo tbh. youtube is THe standard. So many people use different hosts for the audio (soundcloud, eqbeats, pony.fm, mediafire) but the video is always ytube. Besides having to switch and adapt to the new format i dont see a reason to go to a host that no one else is using. :? Even vimeo vids are on ytube (which is vaguely irritating i must add as they always have commercials before them)

I hope sub par fanwork also doesn't end up cluttering up vimeo, as much as I love bananas I'd rather not have vimeo go the same way as DA lol
CDPP

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 23 May 2013 17:15

I knew this was going to eventually happen. Thankfully I switched beforehand to get experience with it. It's terrible, but if you're like me, you usually avoid channels anyway.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby JSynth » 23 May 2013 17:38

I am not sure if I should just switch now and get it over with or stick with my current channel until the force me over.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Nine Volt » 23 May 2013 18:36

FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:I knew this was going to eventually happen. Thankfully I switched beforehand to get experience with it. It's terrible, but if you're like me, you usually avoid channels anyway.

Why is it terrible? Everyone always says that about youtube updates, and they're always perfectly fine and nobody's bitching anymore after a few days except for that one guy nobody likes who always crashes your parties and steals your booze.
Nine Volt

Postby ganondox » 23 May 2013 18:40

Nine Volt wrote:
FlyingNinjaBannanas wrote:I knew this was going to eventually happen. Thankfully I switched beforehand to get experience with it. It's terrible, but if you're like me, you usually avoid channels anyway.

Why is it terrible? Everyone always says that about youtube updates, and they're always perfectly fine and nobody's bitching anymore after a few days except for that one guy nobody likes who always crashes your parties and steals your booze.

It's ugly IMO and takes away old customization features. 'Nuff said.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Nine Volt » 23 May 2013 18:44

But the point was that people bitch about all the new updates then you get used to it and it's really not nearly as bad as people said.
Nine Volt

Postby Motivfs » 23 May 2013 18:45

Kyoga wrote:idk I just kinda liked it when you could customize your youtube profile...

Yup.. Not anymore. Every year they take out more options to customize your YT channel and simplify everything.
Motivfs

Postby Navron » 23 May 2013 20:31

YouTube is part of Google, which is a corporation. Facebook is also a corporation.

Now that the obvious is over, the reasons why these sites change their layout so often, is because they have teams of people that test design changes to better promote revenue. So basically, the early testing with YouTube One likely yielded positive results with more people subscribing to channels, watching more videos, etc, which in all earns YouTube more money.

In the end, it's all about the shareholders, and what's best for the company.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby Lavender_Harmony » 23 May 2013 21:56

I barely use YouTube anymore. I never click the guide, it rarely suggests anything I want to watch, and when I feel like browsing, I either need to know exactly what I want to see, or go to the popular channels. Like, I love video's about Technology, but it's impossible to get current stuff anymore. SoldierKnowsBest is a Mac whoring idiot who buys anything and everything for no reason and justify's it by saying he loves tech, and probably has about 60 Mac computers by now and every generation of iPhone, Android and tablet. Chris Pirillo is an irritating dweeb who I wouldn't watch if you paid me, Geekanoids just makes me laugh with how much of a gullible idiot the host is-you get the picture.

I've had a lot more fun watching live TV on Twitch recently, you can find live music production streams quite easily on there, and it's cool to see how others work, and I get my tech buzz from gizmodo and the BBC. YouTube isn't a place I go to kill time anymore, I just end up getting frustrated and doing something else because I can't find jack shit to watch anymore.

As for my channel, I don't care about it. I'll be uploading Arrivederci Op. II and then logging out for the last time. I don't care if it breaks or looks crap, I have a career to follow, and I have higher priorities than my pony music YouTube channel.
Lavender_Harmony

Primary: Not yet specified.

Postby Freewave » 24 May 2013 08:23

dang another one bites the dust

Navron wrote:YouTube is part of Google, which is a corporation. Facebook is also a corporation.

Now that the obvious is over, the reasons why these sites change their layout so often, is because they have teams of people that test design changes to better promote revenue. So basically, the early testing with YouTube One likely yielded positive results with more people subscribing to channels, watching more videos, etc, which in all earns YouTube more money.

Well facebook is suffering because of their continued changes and because younger people legitimitely enjoy tumblr much more (a better designed product). Corporations have teams that will continue to change and develop their product (to justify their jobs) but on the flip side people also like stability when something works as designed. Amazon hasn't changed much at all and people still love it.

I agree that youtube as a viewing experience has become less fun as the ads are popping up more and more, the suggested videos are almost spam, and its feeling less and less personal. I still cant see anything replacing it at this step tho.
Freewave

Postby FlyingNinjaBannanas » 24 May 2013 15:33

Nine Volt wrote:

I don't like that a majority of the customization features are gone. And honestly, the interface and the way it's organized just doesn't appeal to me. It's thought up for advertisement, and not for convenience and ease-of-use. While that's justified, it still doesn't appeal to me.
Terrible might not have been the right word, but I still dislike it.
[Insert pointless filler here]
FlyingNinjaBannanas

Cutie Mark: Jack of All Trades

Postby vladnuke » 24 May 2013 17:58

First off, the background stays that ugly ass pure white shit, and you can't even mess with that? Daaaamn, that's a piss poor move, and I'll be fucked sideways before accepting that. Why can't we change how the background looks? What is that going to prevent? I can dig with everything else about it, even the trailer (the trailer looks kinda cool), but losing that professionalizing space really burns.
vladnuke

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion