ALL the genres!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

ALL the genres!

Postby topitmunkeydog » 13 May 2013 17:35

Look at this website!!
http://www.furia.com/misc/genremaps/engenremap.html
It maps almost every genre and links it to bands and musicians that fit with that genre. May be helpful if you are trying to make sense of the way people classify music, or if you just want to discover similar bands.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Re: ALL the genres!

Postby CDPP » 13 May 2013 17:38

It lists Madeon as house and trapstep. Gonna look at this site with a pinch of salt..
CDPP

Postby Nine Volt » 13 May 2013 17:45

Some of Madeon's music is house. It's been a while but I want to say that Icarus and The Finale (I think that's the title?) were house.

e: it also lists deadmau5 as trapstep. At least they got the progressive house part though.
Nine Volt

Postby CDPP » 13 May 2013 17:52

Nine Volt wrote:Some of Madeon's music is house. It's been a while but I want to say that Icarus and The Finale (I think that's the title?) were house.

e: it also lists deadmau5 as trapstep. At least they got the progressive house part though.

Electro house, french house and complextro. I was referring to trapstep. Also, house is a pretty huge umbrella term; if they intended to go specific with sub genres the least you'd think they could do would be to categorize one of the larger edm artists into the right genres.
CDPP

Postby Nine Volt » 13 May 2013 17:57

Skrillex is apparently just electro.
Nine Volt

Postby CDPP » 13 May 2013 18:15

Nine Volt wrote:Skrillex is apparently just electro.

CDPP

Postby topitmunkeydog » 13 May 2013 18:23

Ok, so it's not perfectly accurate. It seems to be more focused on different kinds of metal and rock, as the electronic genres are sort of shoved to the side an made really small.
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

Postby ganondox » 15 May 2013 06:40

The thing is Rock subgenres are a lot broader than Electronic subgenres. The two scenes categorize genres differently, and while Rock based it's genres on a more general sound EDM is a lot more specific and technical with the way it categorizes things. The person is categorizing EDM subgenres with a more Rock like approach.

EDIT: Apparently the site was algorithmically-generated, so depending on what the algorithm is and what it determined by the algorithm is how many grains of salt to take. I looked up Tool and got stuff like "rap rock", so the genres for individual artists is definitely algorithmically-generated. What I find interesting is how the top-left corner is the metal cluster, the top right corner is the classical cluster, and the bottom left corner is "afro-dance" cluster, and how the bottom-right corner is completely empty (except for oratory, which isn't even really music). I guess the most useful way to look at this is by comparing metal to everything else, metal is the most useful spot because of the way the graph is distributed.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 17 May 2013 22:28

Didn't someone post this already?

Ah, well. I do have to say, it is impressive that an algorithm generated this. It's still fun to browse; just consider the misplacements the "humor" part of the guide. Seriously. Trapstep is not even a real freaking genre.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby CDPP » 17 May 2013 22:57

IT IS NOW

RUN THE TRACK RUN THE TRACK RUN THE TRACK
*Airhorns blazing in the distance*
CDPP

Postby ganondox » 18 May 2013 11:09

XXDarkShadow79XX wrote:Didn't someone post this already?

Ah, well. I do have to say, it is impressive that an algorithm generated this. It's still fun to browse; just consider the misplacements the "humor" part of the guide. Seriously. Trapstep is not even a real freaking genre.

Apparently "sexy" and "ninja" are genres. It also has "oratory", which isn't music unless you consider JFK's speech on Martin Luther King's death to be music, which is only musical if you are as high as Pluto.
ganondox

Postby Nine Volt » 18 May 2013 12:31

Trapstep is a fusion/hybrid genre of trap and dubstep. It's real.
Nine Volt

Postby XXDarkShadow79XX » 19 May 2013 19:21

Nine Volt wrote:

Trapstep is a fusion/hybrid genre of trap and dubstep. It's real.

Eeeh, the only problem is that the defining factors of dubstep and trap conflict. In dubstep, the sub bass is separate from the drums; it is a freestanding instrument. In trap, however, the sub is linked with the kick, usually through means of using a drum machine to generate deep, booming kicks. They both sound very different and unless someone finds a magical way to have two subs at one, this genre is going to have a tough time... erm... being real.
XXDarkShadow79XX

Primary: FL

Postby Nine Volt » 19 May 2013 19:49

Or maybe it's just trap style drums with dubstep style structure and wubs and stuff.
Nine Volt

Postby ganondox » 19 May 2013 22:31

Okay, I opened the site up today and it's shape is a lot different than it was last time. Metal and oratory are still in the same general location, but everything else is completely different, and the metal subgenres are arranged a lot differently from how they were before. Now House is in the upper right corner while Folk is at the bottom. It looks like the things that used to be along the top last time (classical and soundtracks and ambient stuff) are now along the left, and now the stuff that used to be at the bottom is towards the top right corner, but more inwards. Rock dominates the middle-left section, which is where I think it was more or less last time. There is now a more defined bottom-right area, though the corner is still empty, and it appears to be Jazz oriented.
ganondox

Return to Off-Topic Discussion