Building a New Studio Desk!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Building a New Studio Desk!

Postby nOk » 11 Feb 2013 12:19

(Not sure where to post this but yeah...)

Hi! Right off the bat, my current studio setup is so-so. The biggest thing that sticks out is that the desk I currently use is a corner desk with shelves, which really really limits my space. This is my current studio setup. I've also been told that the corner traps bass, and I don't want that. Basically, my setup is cramped and inefficient at the moment.
I saw a lot of people who built their own studio desks. I thought this was a good idea, as it would cost MUCH less money than a company made one (try ~$150 vs $2500) and I could customize it to my needs. Nothing too huge, nothing too small!
Now, I have no skill whatsoever in carpentry or woodworking. Hence, I've had help with this project. I've already started building and and staining the wood, so I'm a little bit in the project already. (Note this isn't a "how to," but rather just me showing you what I'm up to.)

Ok, so I want the desk to be aprox. 7'x3'x3'. This will give me plenty of space for most of my junk. I debated making shelving units underneath for rack-mount systems. I ended up not doing this because of stability, and for the fact that I don't even own any rack modules. The legs I wanted to be sturdy and stable. Though it's not much to look at, I ended up going with 4 3' long 4x4s, cross supported by 2x4s. I felt like it would be the easiest to work with and most stable.
The Finished Legs
Supports

My first choice for the material was particle board. I liked the way it looks and thought it would be good to work with. However, I was told that it was heavy and harder to work on. I ended up going with plywood. Well, I would have gone with plywood if I could find any. Luckily I found boards that both looked nicer and were perfectly smooth. They were 12"x8', so all I needed was to get 4 (one for the monitor/ speaker shelves) and cut off a foot from 3 of them! I pieced them together and connected them with 3 2x4s
Unfinished Desk Top (2x4s underneath)

The boards aren't 100% even, but I'm hoping that once I put the legs on it should straighten them out. Again, I would have rather gotten one solid piece, but I wasn't able to get one in the size and quality I needed.

I will have a monitor shelf up above with room for both a monitor and my laptop, and 2 speaker shelves that are a little higher than the monitor shelf. I will also have a drawer slide for my keyboard, rather than my keyboard/mouse and graphics tablet. I don't use it all that much, so putting it underneath would be a big space-saver!

I'll update as I work on this. If you're curious about any of this, just ask!
nOk

Primary: FL 11
Cutie Mark: A better username

Re: Building a New Studio Desk!

Postby itroitnyah » 11 Feb 2013 15:42

Looks like it will be good.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby nOk » 11 Feb 2013 22:36

TheBronyChip wrote:what kind of design are you going to use? or is it just gonna be rectangular?

Rectangular with minor shelving, yeah. If I was more skilled at this sort of thing I would probably do something more complicated.
nOk

Postby nOk » 04 Apr 2013 07:32

UPDATE! I kinda forgot about this thread... Nearly done, just working on the shelves now.

I just made an album of my progress to save time :)

http://imgur.com/a/TdjkR
nOk

Postby itroitnyah » 04 Apr 2013 14:10

Can't you raise the height of your chair?
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11

Postby the4thImpulse » 04 Apr 2013 15:57

nOk wrote:UPDATE!

Its looking real nice! You are making me want to start plans for one of my own.
the4thImpulse

Primary: Ableton Live 8

Return to Off-Topic Discussion