"Brony Pop Music" and "Following the Herd"

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: "Brony Pop Music" and "Following the Herd"

Postby Legion » 26 Aug 2012 20:45

prettiestPony wrote:I mean, it's basically the same situation as with the actual pop world: there's no creativity, everything's a formulaic piece of uninspired crud that panders to the masses (and to making money), it's all the same damn four chords, pop music is getting louder, simpler and more repetitive, whatever happened to real music, I'm worried about this generation's musical tastes, etc., etc. Well, whatever. There are still other musicians producing different music, and there always will be (unless perhaps the human race experiences a severe drop in population, in which case we'd just have to wait for it to build up to a reasonable number again, and in the meantime we'd have more important things to worry about, like surviving). Listen to what you like, don't listen to what you don't like.

This.

Also, one of my biggest pet peeves is brought up here: the idea that 'oh god my generation's music tastes suck'.

News flash: Pop music has always been this shitty. The only difference between the present and past is that the past has history to filter out the shitty stuff. And hell, if we're going to make bigger claims, I'd rather go with the pop music of today than the pop music of, say, the 60's or 70's. [And I won't pretend I don't listen to any modern pop ^_^]

Anyways, yeah, if you don't like all that brony 'pop' then ignore it. That simple. The fact that pony rock anthem got so popular pissed me off to no end (and then it was voted track of the month and I flipped my table), but I just ignored it. Ignoring things does wonders, you know.
Legion

Postby CommandSpry » 27 Aug 2012 06:45

I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Michael Jakson is the peak of pop music.

And I would argue Tina Turner's music is miles ahead of today's pop music.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.
Hey. Listen. I don't Care anymore. You hear me you Son of a Bitch? I'm old now. I have all the resources.

hello I'm spry wobbler lol I'm
CommandSpry

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: wobbler

Postby Markelius » 27 Aug 2012 07:58

CommandSpry wrote:Michael Jakson is the peak of pop music.

I never liked MJ that much, I liked a few of his songs, but it's still pop music. His music is still better than pretty much all the other pop music though, and no, don't say Adele or some crap, she sings about cliche subjects has bland repetitive backing tracks, the only reason I think she got popular is because she was considered slightly overweight and has a nice singing voice. Regardless, still not good.
| Soundcloud | Bandcamp | Facebook | YouTube - 1 - 2 |
Markelius

Postby CommandSpry » 27 Aug 2012 08:46

Yeah that's what I said, Michael Jackson is the peak of POP music, from all the pop his music is the most artistically valid and melodic, and his voice is great. Tina Turner is also fantastic, the British style of pop was brilliant back then, just the perfect amount of notes and no unwanted instruments, very simple but fantastic music.

Nowdays everyone is just using a formula, those guys were the guys who busted their brains to drive pop music forward, and not just ride the bandwagon.

CommandSpry

Postby Freewave » 27 Aug 2012 09:56

CommandSpry wrote:I'm really happy for you, and Imma let you finish, but Michael Jakson is the peak of pop music.

And I would argue Tina Turner's music is miles ahead of today's pop music.

CommandSpry wrote:Nowdays everyone is just using a formula, those guys were the guys who busted their brains to drive pop music forward, and not just ride the bandwagon.

yes.. I'd have to add Madonna and Prince in with that as well from the same era. Not to mention how much I like the New Wave and Synth Pop from that era. Doing something innovative, risky, and daring with pop is great. Making it just part of a bland trend is not.

Again it's not people should be against pop or not think that there's a place for it but we should our homemade music to have some sort of creativity behind it. I'm against the bandwagon. Again i don't think there's a single brony artist that people should dislike because they are popular (that is stupid) but i worry about the community as a whole "following the herd", being formulaic, and not finding ways to make to make their music creative, conceptual, and different. Especially when i remember people like Makkon, NACP, PPS, SGAP really making brony music look innovative when it started.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby natsukashi » 27 Aug 2012 13:53

CommandSpry wrote:Yeah that's what I said, Michael Jackson is the peak of POP music, from all the pop his music is the most artistically valid and melodic, and his voice is great. Tina Turner is also fantastic, the British style of pop was brilliant back then, just the perfect amount of notes and no unwanted instruments, very simple but fantastic music.

Nowdays everyone is just using a formula, those guys were the guys who busted their brains to drive pop music forward, and not just ride the bandwagon.

FUCK YOU ABBA PRODUCED THE BEST POP EVER. >:((((((((((((((((((

Also, being unique doesn't guarantee you popularity as C12 made it sound like. I am (as far as I know) the only breakcore and jungle producer in the fandom.
Then again, I don't actively try to promote myself and neither do I use youtube which is the main outlet to reaching a lot of listeners. Maybe things would have been different, but I don't care about subscriptions, getting featured on EqD or whatever. Unless I try and get my music out to people, I guess I can't safely say that being unique is some kind of guarantee. Being good is way more important. And modest. But mainly good.
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Rainbowdutch » 28 Aug 2012 11:08

*puts a physical message here so I can find this thread again and read it in its entirety when I return*
Rainbowdutch

Postby itroitnyah » 28 Aug 2012 12:27

Generally, I could care less about what other people's opinions are on music. I'll listen to it, and you have about 30-50 seconds to grab my attention before I decided to listen to something else. And to be honest, I'll like music despite what other people say about it. Skrillex is an amazing music producer, I liked one just one of "One Direction"'s songs, and Beiber is getting better, although I'm indifferent about his music. And to top it off, half the music that plays on the radio today isn't that bad. I only put the songs that really impress me onto my ipod (mostly dubstep and HU, lol) but I tend to view everything with a more level head than the majority of the internet does.

So in regards to what you asked, Freewave, it doesn't really matter if there are a million remixes of Winter Wrap Up, if it's good, I'll like it and possibly download it if it's really amazing. But generally I will ignore songs that are cliche, like said above, large amounts of WWU remixes, unless pressured into listening to it.

But that's just my view on music in general. I'm sure that quite a few of you would argue differently than I would. We're all entitled to our opinions, and we shouldn't have to change our opinions based on what the majority thinks.
Image Image I am no longer an active member. here
My studio: [List of equipment]
itroitnyah

Primary: FL Studio 11
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby Rainbowdutch » 28 Aug 2012 17:12

okey first of all how and why is equestria daily involved in this discussion?
we post songs of all the genre's and give spotlights soley because of quallity, not because of the genre or people's interest.
what, not only the viewers of equestria daily, but also the rest of the fandom is gonna listen to, is completely their own choice.

ChromaticChaosPony wrote:It seems wrong to me that Equestria Girls gets more attention than Arrivederci. An original pony song should deserves more attention than a song in which they changed the lyrics to have ponies. It takes real effort and talent to produce a song completely from scratch.

equestria girls was an add done by hasbro themself which not only touched upon the more mainstream, older part of the audience, but also officially shouted the bronies out on television for the first time.

please tell me...

how is this comparable to arrivederci?

Habanc wrote:Glaze's "Pixel Rush" was a good song on it's own, I don't see the need for pony samples just so it can be posted.

habanc plz

seth is joking
glaze knows seth is joking

from what I have seen, there isn't really a pop music scene within the community. yes, you have the bigger guys like alexs, tombstone and glaze who you could call "popular" but then again they make quallity stuff and completely deserve their views.

when it comes to new people trying to get popular, I can only give one piece of advice.

be origional

right now, with the brony music scene pumping out LOADS and LOADS of songs it is difficult to get noticed with "your generic trance song". please, stop making sad luna songs or vinyl vs octavia songs. we get those everyday in the eqd prelistener chat and to be really honest none of em have anything standing for them and will fail with most of the audience.
Rainbowdutch

Postby CommandSpry » 28 Aug 2012 17:24

well jeez I hope I didn't bore you with my luna song :(

CommandSpry

Postby Navron » 28 Aug 2012 20:43

Rainbowdutch wrote:be origional

I am.

It's not like I try to make my music incredibly menacing. All is for the greater good, and to appease the sky faces.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby natsukashi » 29 Aug 2012 00:41

EqD needs more hard music!!!!111

OPERATION REMOVE ZOVI FROM THE BLACKLIST
ToastbeardERS03:
23:32:35 <natsukashi> I played this for my mom
23:32:48 <J4CKL3-4PP> "now I'm an orphan"
natsukashi

Postby Stars In Autumn » 29 Aug 2012 02:43

Hating a popular song because it is popular is just as bad as hating a song because it isn't popular. When you look at a view count on Youtube before even listening to the song, you're doing the artist a disservice by illogically basing your opinion on something irrelevant to the actual song.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby LunchBagMusic » 29 Aug 2012 04:02

Stars In Autumn wrote:Hating a popular song because it is popular is just as bad as hating a song because it isn't popular. When you look at a view count on Youtube before even listening to the song, you're doing the artist a disservice by illogically basing your opinion on something irrelevant to the actual song.

Oh man, this.

One Direction and Katy Perry are both guilty pleasures of mine. Buck the haters.
LunchBagMusic

Postby Evdog » 29 Aug 2012 16:45

natsukashi wrote:FUCK YOU ABBA PRODUCED THE BEST POP EVER. >:((((((((((((((((((

Mother? How'd you find this site? :P
[YOUTUBE], [SOUNDCLOUD], [FACEBOOK], [EVDOGMUSIC.COM]
Multigenre singer, Multigenre songwriter, Multigenre producer & Multi-instrumentalist
Evdog

Primary: Presonus Studio One
Cutie Mark: (is a Diamond Dog)

Postby ganondox » 19 Dec 2014 22:07

I extremely dislike things like "Pony Rock Anthem" as they seem to be extremely cheap attempts at large number of views with a song that isn't even pony in the slightest, it's literally just talking an existing song and slapping pony on it. Remixes or covers of popular songs are fine as long as the truly add something new.
ganondox

Primary: Garage Band :P
Cutie Mark: Σ

Postby Freewave » 21 Dec 2014 18:58

Honestly while i wrote this a long time ago its gotten way worse. Many people do only ponified covers of current pop tunes and lord knows there's been a ton of Frozen and Five Nights at Freddies parodies as well. From bad to worse it feels like these days.
Freewave

Postby JSynth » 22 Dec 2014 08:08

The true art of necromancy right here.
But to add to the discussion, it may be that I am out of touch with all of the current pony music, but I feel like fandom has moved somewhat past making another bad remix of the rainbow factory.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 22 Dec 2014 14:32

JSynth wrote:The true art of necromancy right here.
But to add to the discussion, it may be that I am out of touch with all of the current pony music, but I feel like fandom has moved somewhat past making another bad remix of the rainbow factory.

I feel like a lot of the musicians gunning hardest for subs seem to be going straight for pop music. Pop music isn't the devil but it's also the lowest common denominator musically. Add on how much of it is really pony influenced and you have the state of a lot of brony music today. :???:
Freewave

Postby Injustrial » 22 Dec 2014 20:55

I feel EQD's erratic Spotlight posts aren't exactly helping the matter either. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site for all kinds of fandom news, but the music is falling by the wayside.

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but a little while ago there was ANOTHER remix of Discord on the Spotlight. It was terribly mixed, not very well executed and the singer's voice was just painful when he couldn't hit the high notes.

But it's Discord, so it got a Spotlight post anyways.
Injustrial

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Sh*t on Fire

Postby ph00tbag » 23 Dec 2014 00:04

I do think the music on EqD has been really hit or miss. I like to think there's two scales music can be on, and that's the technical proficiency and freshness scales. Preferably, the spotlight stuff is technically sound and orignial, while the motd is one or the other. Sometimes stuff that is neither will show up in the spotlight, though, and I can't understand why.

I do think the overall freshness of the music on EqD has gone up since they dropped the pre-listeners, and switched to just letting the pre-readers pick stuff out. But the spotlights have definitely got a lot less consistently interesting.
ph00tbag
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: Blank flank

Postby eery » 23 Dec 2014 10:29

idk. I got breakcore on eqd once. I feel they're pretty open to all kinds of music. Too much of it to the point where theres no point in music being on there at all.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/11/s ... .html#more
eery
Global Moderator

Primary: Fruity tools 11
Cutie Mark: dank

Postby Freewave » 23 Dec 2014 11:37

Injustrial wrote:I feel EQD's erratic Spotlight posts aren't exactly helping the matter either. Don't get me wrong, it's a great site for all kinds of fandom news, but the music is falling by the wayside.

Not to accuse anyone of anything, but a little while ago there was ANOTHER remix of Discord on the Spotlight. It was terribly mixed, not very well executed and the singer's voice was just painful when he couldn't hit the high notes.

But it's Discord, so it got a Spotlight post anyways.

Back in the day Rainbow Factory remixes got outright ignored by EQD because there were so many of them. I kind of thought Discord was at that same level. It's a shame that remix seems like one of the weaker ones.

Sometimes i have to think that a terrible track may get bumped up just because there's nothing else good that week. Back in the day when there were musician listeners (that ended in late Oct 2013) I'm sure standards were tighter but that also left out a lot of innovative music and more pony themed that had less polish. It'll always be a game of thinking they could do a better job but its pretty amazing they process as much music as they do.

Saddest thing i think is what happens to the musical fanfare in other sites. Take ponychan for example. They have a non-pony music section but NO pony music section. They do have sections for art, fimfics.....does anyone care about music? I find that's the same attention that other pony media sites, music gets the shaft. Add in that eqbeats and pony.fm are both under-developed and under-supported and sites like bmd and fimm have had the same fate and its easy to feel like its everyone for themselves.

I hope we see some top 50 and 100 songs of 2014 but with Everfree shutting down and many sites on the decline we might not even see that this year. The one site i saw for voting included songs from previous years which makes the whole thing uninteresting in my book.
Freewave

Postby CitricAcid » 23 Dec 2014 12:00

Freewave wrote:.....does anyone care about music?

I've been wondering that lately, too. I saw a poll on EQD recently about what people's favorite part of the fandom was, and music was ranked #2 with something like 40% of the vote, I think. But I always check the comments on music posts on EQD, and I find that they rarely get more than 15, and only a couple of them are ever about the musical content of the post. Once upon a time, at least 30-40 comments were normal. This is how I've been gauging interest in music; I'm not sure how representative it is. Based on that info, I figure people are more interested in the music they already have rather than new stuff.
Image Image Image
CitricAcid

Primary: Cubase
Cutie Mark: Music scroll

Postby Freewave » 23 Dec 2014 14:09

Yeah i must saw it always feels bad when people give thumbs up but can't take the time to leave a little comment. It's really the comments that make people take the time to put together as they mean so much. So often the ratio of views to thumbs up to comments is a declining ratio. When you don't make tracks for money it's often very little fuel to keep your spirit soaring. When i compare how many comments i see on fimfics or favs and reblogs of art on tumblr it's a bit saddening to see music seem to be getting weaker support. :sad:
Freewave

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion