YO, TELL US YOUR (FAVORITE) STYLE!

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: YO, TELL US YOUR (FAVORITE) STYLE!

Postby Pinkie Cake » 19 Aug 2011 18:42

zorg wrote:I've got nothing.
Thanks ^^ That really helps :D
Pinkie Cake

Postby General Mumble » 20 Aug 2011 14:22

How to Mumble:

Doodle a short melody and whack a mind-numbing bass drum and snare over it. If your leg starts bouncing or your head starts bobbing, you're on the right track.

BPM is normally going to lie between 113 and 135, with the occasional venture into 140 or 160, but that doesn't really happen unless I'm writing for a game or something.

I don't often stick to an instrument set, but if there's anything that appears in more than one of my tracks at any given point, it would be a synth with a heavy chorus applied to it, maybe used to create an arp or just a cheeky sweep in the background. Usually THIS synth, using the "spooky solo" preset, with a few tweaks and that bespoke heavy chorus.

I also like to chop up vocals from an existing a capella and make a new melody out of it, either that or chop up vocal samples to create a short and repetitive riff, though I don't like looping stuff over and over with no change.

I often glitch stuff, but try to do it manually nowdays instead of using dblue Glitch or Gross Beat like I used to.

I don't have much technical knowledge, I seem to just "push buttons until it sounds pony enough".

Last thing, I like to add a ton of unusual effects in small doses throughout my songs, strange panning, oddly placed reverb that suddenly disappears, backup vocals that are so bucked-with that they could be anything other than backup vocals.

But really those are just guidelines, and an excuse to talk about myself, which seems to be really satisfying and pleasing and fun.

I think I wrote too much.
Something, something, ponies.
Something, something, friendship.
General Mumble

Primary: Not yet specified.
Cutie Mark: Poo

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 20 Aug 2011 17:33

I've been doing some experimenting with genres I've never made before (i.e. tribal hardcore and drum'n'bass) with pony stuff, but I have some "core" genres that I specialize in.

Hardcore/Gabber
Hard and distorted kicks, supersaws and hoovers are the name of the game here (hence my ponysona). I like to make my hardcore anywhere from 170 to sub-speedcore speeds. I like to make it in a happy gabber style but with a more horror-sounding approach.

Speedcore
How high can you go? That's the question you ask to make bad speedcore. How high can you go while composing melodies and harmonies that work well with high BPM percussion while still maintaining energy throughout the track? That's the kind of speedcore I like to make. Melodic speedcore is so much fun, and combining it with other genres (even ambient) is what I love to do.

Noizecore
Perhaps the most unusual of the genres I produce, and my favorite, Noizecore is a combination of rhythmic noise, Dutch hardcore/gabber, speedcore, and overdriving everything to the point where clipping gives it a whole new timbre. Not many people or ponies make noizecore, so I feel like it's worth exploring as a genre more than it has been in the past. Most of my pony remixes from here on will be in this style.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby ismbof » 22 Aug 2011 17:53

I love Melodic Metalcore:
-I love playing guitar with a low tuning (like drop b)
-i try to make riffs melodic and at the same time heavy
-lots of drive, chugs, & gallops
-songs sometimes are arranged very unusually
-i prefer high end better than low end (lots of high is too much sometimes though)
-post-hardcore is another style i do kinda similar
-I love using sad sounding riffs
-i'm influenced by killswitch engage and funeral for a friend
-i try to not make my riffs too difficult to play
-I'm not a big fan of starpower guitar solos
-I mix a bunch of different drum samples (layers of different kicks) in fl studio to get a good punchy sound with some compression and eq
-bass guitar is recorded through a preamp unlike guitar which is recorded through a mic
-not too much drive/distortion on the bass gtar
-acoustic guitar is sometimes used (like in the bridge of Gimme R D)
-i use fl studio demo for everything almost like recording, mixing, mastering (i really need to save up for a legit daw)

I...also like some techno, too.
ismbof

Postby Whitetail » 22 Aug 2011 18:45

ummm well whatever it is that I do:

-I tend to often come up with the drum groove first
-Oscillators! I'm quite often running the default plugins that come with Pro Tools since I'm a bit broke, and it comes 2 two main synth plugins - one that's oscillator based and a reaaaaally weak sounding sampled synth, so I tend to go with the Oscillators since they're a bit stronger sounding, more substance in the sound. I'd love to use more "real" instruments or advanced synths like supersaws if I had stronger plugins. Exception though, I don't use oscillators for percussion except for the supplemental 909-ish kick.
-For acoustic instruments I generally prefer:
--Bells, I often stick these in wherever possible
--Acoustic guitar and Harp
--Ensemble String layers
--Foreign exotic things like Sitar and Koto (since pony music and doing more electronic music I've calmed down on this, but I'd throw sitar in pretty much eveeeerything I wrote a while ago)
-For Drums I'll use electric or acoustic samples, though since my plugins suck I prefer to go with samples when possible, though I barely ever use an actual drum loop unaltered. One thing I've been more fond of lately is taking old funk drum loops and chopping them up into the various specific instruments and then using that to construct the drum line. Lawyer the kick line with a 909 sample for depth and possible use an electric snare in conjunction with the acoustic.
-Spam a distorted jungle snare for a break, play with the panning for bonus points.
-Sampling ambiance for the background is always nice
-I love odd time signatures and used to use them all the time in my writing, I've relaxed on that recently but you can still find that sort of thing in a few tracks (same goes with polyrithym)
-I used to exclusively listen to and write rock and metal, I listen to much more music now but I love to throw in staples of the genres like distorted rhythm guitar or a metal style 16th kick drum + hi hats on the beat.
-Acoustic, electronic, who the hay cares? I'll mix just about any type of instrument and if that means having an 8-bit lead over distorted guitar backgrounds and house style four to the floor drum line so be it.
-I love breakcore/DnB type erratic drum patterns
-I drown out my mixes with unnecessary reverb, pretty much the first thing I do when I set up a piece is create an auxiliary channel to bus all layers save for a few like kick drum for reverb.
-Quite often I'll write in a minor key, normally A or D minor, and barely tonicize out of the root

Sampling is an interest I've picked up much more interesting (It seems to have started from my use of the amen break in Ze Magicz) and I don't think I've come to proficiency in it yet. I've also more recently developed a preference for haphhazord ambiance snipping (like drum samples taken from things that already have a bunch of reverb in them so they sound a bit "stitched together") and background white-noise like vinyl hissing, I think I just got fed up of my pieces sounding so overly "clean" so to speak, synthetic, lacking in substance.

I've mainly stuck to production preferences because I don't really seem to have much preference in the composition of the piece for a singular style. Things I know I do tend to abuse in composition though are:
-5ths for well everything
-Occasional 3rd harmonies
-Repeating, arpeggiated background layers, often panned to opposite sides
-Never leaving the tonic or varying up the progression
Whitetail

Postby bartekko » 23 Aug 2011 13:39

While I'm not exactly centered about any kind of music, right now i'm mostly into electro house-ish stuff with a dubstep break somewhere mid-song. Based on synthesizers and heavy effectization, sometimes with a bit of acoustic instruments.
BPM 120
Low-Pass filters abuse on sawtooth waves.
Has a friend considering techno (and overall electronic music) not being music.
Lead Synth is played almost non-stop, more than 90% of the clip's length
Glitching with gater and overall dblue_glitch abuse (however i found that one recently thanks to general mumble)
Keeping the melody simple may not be something i should whine about.
Catchiness over everything else, and that sometimes leads to that simplicity
I would be making Rammstein style metal, but I can't guitar.
Another thing is: Evrything MUST be aligned to a 1/16 note
of course 4 2 De ___
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Kryptage » 23 Aug 2011 19:04

My Style is mainly in Trance, Dubstep and House. However, that is not really set though. I experiment with Electrohouse, and many other genres. I love glitchyness as well! I draw influence mostly from Progressive Metal/Rock, and Orchestral.

Most of the time my music carries a chiller tone, and I rarely write in Major keys. The BPM of my music ranges from 120-150, but that is tentative. The lengths of my music is rarely below 3:30, and I use a range of synth sounds that are used in multitudes of different electronic genres. I use odd signatures mainly in my non-electronic stuff, but I have none of that recorded or put out. Though I have used subtle ones in my electronic. I like mixing Piano during breaks in my music, and I'm experimenting with guitar as well as vocals.

I try to keep my melodies strong, although I don't exert to much effort in making it a radio melody. Rhythm is very important to me, and I like to have a groove, not necessarily funk groovy, but there is groove.

Bass progression for me normally moves in 3rds, 5ths, and 2nds. 3rds and 2nds, more than 5ths. Inversions are very common, and 7th chords are always something I've tried to work in.

I really like anything that sounds good. I'm not picky about any mixture of two things. I'm always up to experimenting, and I think any two things can go hand in hand if done with confidence.
A fews songs in progress at all times!

check out my latest on my soundcloud

http://soundcloud.com/moviemajic12
Kryptage

Postby NightColt » 23 Aug 2011 20:56

bartekko wrote:Catchiness over everything else, and that sometimes leads to that simplicity
I would be making Rammstein style metal, but I can't guitar.

I can guitar! And I love Rammstein! Hit me up if you ever wanna collab sometime.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES.

THAT IS ALL.
NightColt

Postby Makkon » 23 Aug 2011 22:28

General Mumble wrote:But really those are just guidelines, and an excuse to talk about myself, which seems to be really satisfying and pleasing and fun.

I think I wrote too much.

Beats, effects, and random pony crap. Got it!
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Darktrot » 11 Dec 2011 17:09

I bounce between two.
Hardstyle And Brostep.
Depends on my situation really. Im more hardstyle untill i can make some brostep sounds
DARKTROT MUSIC FOREVER
Darktrot

Postby MichaelA » 11 Dec 2011 18:08

I have many styles, but I'll go over my main ones here.

[Eurotrance]: Example

*140-160 bpm
*Catchy melodies
*Tons of bass, on the kick and actual sawtooth bass
*PADS EVERYWHERE YAY
*Song usually bases around the main melody.

[Trance]: Example

*Anywhere from 120-170 BPM, though I like to stay at 154 more often then not.
*SO MUCH DRUMS. Heavy percussion usually, Drums, bass, and pads drive this genre.
*ROLLING BASSLINES. Don't know what they are? This is a rolling trance bassline. I love them so much <3
*So much ambience. Trance is supposed to be really trippy-ish. Ambience is key.
*PADS EVERYWHERE AGAIN OMG
*Usually there's a lot of random upbeat stabs/hits.
*The leads/melodies usually add on to the trippy-feeling. They aren't too powerful usually.

So yup.
Last edited by MichaelA on 11 Dec 2011 18:10, edited 4 times in total.
------------------
My Youtube
^^ Go sub, yo!
MichaelA

Postby Flutterbro » 11 Dec 2011 18:08

I don't really have a set style right now, but in the past I've made breakbeat, house, that last song was a piano thing I guess? Right now I'm making drum and bass, enjoying that so far.
Oh, also everything seems to be very dark.
Flutterbro

Postby Facade » 11 Dec 2011 19:02

ME?
hmmmmmm
everything
.... i guess you could say
iiiiiiiii loooovvveee everyyythiiinnggg!!!!
https://facadeofages.bandcamp.com/album ... o-the-dark
Spoiler Quotes:
DerpyGrooves wrote:The secret to a good song has everything to do with the relationship of the verse and the chorus to one another

ONEHOODASSPONY wrote:Image
Facade

Primary: Fl11 + Lsdj
Cutie Mark: None

Postby Overkillius » 14 Dec 2011 21:50

My style?

Well first of all, almost everything I do is usually centered around what I've learned about counterpoint and theory in general over the past one and a half years. When it all boils down to it, I do what sounds good, and usually the "rules" facilitate sounding good, if they get in the way... well they don't get in the way because I don't let them.

I either know what key I want to write something in because of where I have been banging around on a piano, or I compose in C Major or a minor and shift it around to see what key I like best. Regardless of where I start, I always shift the key signature around to see how it changes the feel of the song. I've noticed that different keys sound different somehow, even in equal temperament!

I actually spend a good amount of time right after I start a composition seeing how it feels in different tempi and key signatures. I end up with stuff like 154 BPM. obviously not always that high though.

the composition process is generally done by just plotting out notes or banging on a piano.

Some times I come up with a progression, sometimes I come up with a bass line and make a progression off of that, and sometimes I make a melody first and harmonize it!

I also spend time listening to parts doubled, like doubling flutes and violins! or bassoons and french horns, to get the sound that I want.

So much else goes into it... but I have no clue what...
> Music Youtube! <
>>>> Tumblr! <<<<
Overkillius wrote:The bad thing about music... is that it is subjective.
The good thing about music... is that it is subjective!
Overkillius

Primary: Reaper, Famitracker
Cutie Mark: #9 Chords

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion