Site Feedback and News

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Site Feedback and News

Postby Navron » 18 Nov 2013 17:53

You'll be seeing me a lot more in a couple weeks.
DAW: Cubase 6.5, Ableton Live 8
Preferred Genre: Industrial/Trance
Hardware: Schecter Diamond Series Bass, Yamaha Acoustic Guitar, BP355 Effects Pedal, Keystudio 49K Keyboard, Akai APC40, Korg nanoKEY2 25k Keyboard
Navron
Global Moderator

Primary: Cubase 6.5

Postby ExoBassTix » 19 Nov 2013 12:49

Yay Navy pony guy is gonna return :3
Collecting dust...

Dieselminded drifter dodging delirium in daunting dreamscapes.
ExoBassTix

Primary: FL Studio 20
Cutie Mark: a crystal waterphone

Postby JSynth » 11 Dec 2013 21:17

I have to say, I like the new topic descriptions. It makes things more clear as to what each forum is for.
https://soundcloud.com/jasper-synth/back-at-me
Jokeblue wrote:You fool. You've doomed the Spam thread to yet another, inevitable :3 spam.

My Tumblr
My YouTube
My SoundCloud

DAW: Logic Pro 9
Plugins: Sylenth, Sausage Fattener, Komplete 9, NI The Mouth, Ozone 5, Bitspeek
JSynth

Primary: Logic 9
Cutie Mark: yo face

Postby Freewave » 12 Dec 2013 11:53

JSynth wrote:I have to say, I like the new topic descriptions. It makes things more clear as to what each forum is for.

Thanks. :grin:

Hopefully people notice them and the board will have a more organized feel. If there's any other recommendations i guess this would be the place to let them be known.
Links for my music: YouTube, Bandcamp, and Tumblr
Check out the Brony Music Directory and FimMusic. A portal for all pony music
Support the 20+ Musician Maressey Project currently underway.
Freewave

Primary: Fl Studio 10
Cutie Mark: X$X

Postby senntenial » 01 Jan 2014 22:10

I'm not sure if this is still the proper thread but here are just some ideas I've been mulling over:

- a recommend button for replies, similar to The Verge comments or Reddit (without downvotes).

- overall user updates/reputation/karma (tied in with above)

- better mobile forum design/app and responsive layout

- more uniform signatures so posts are less messy (e.g. don't allow youtube videos)
My website with free music resources
18 year old full stack web dev and designer
senntenial
Global Moderator

Primary: FL Studio
Cutie Mark: ponies are for losers

Postby Callenby » 02 Jan 2014 20:14

senntenial wrote:reputation/karma

I've browsed reddit before and from what I've seen karma really doesn't contribute anything. Feel free to disagree, but it seems incredibly easy to manipulate. I actually did have an idea for something akin to that, though. Maybe if someone asks a question which someone answers, the OP has the option to click a button which says "this was helpful" and the more of those that someone has the more helpful their reputation becomes. For instance, it might say "this poster is helpful" or "this poster is very helpful". Also, each person can only vote on a post once, or maybe on each person's posts once.

I don't actually know how that would work in practice, though. It is indeed like reddit karma (and certainly not perfect) but I think that might be better than simple total post counts, which are very misleading.

Also, for dealing with those ubiquitous kitchen threads, have the the security questions for creating new accounts changed at all? I just checked and unless I'm mistaken they're the same ones as they've always been. Maybe change them so they're a little more difficult or replace them with one of those captcha things.
"Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist." - Pablo Picasso
Free online classes (including music) can be found here. Credit for my avatar goes to Lolo.

Tumblr / YouTube / Soundcloud
Callenby

Primary: Cubase 7.5
Cutie Mark: Double bass clef heart

Postby Acsii » 03 Jan 2014 03:06

On the note of a mobile optimised site. I through this together using a quick tool. The colours are taken from the header colour and the link colour. installation interactions are contained within the code. http://ultrazoidsshed.x10.mx/forum/art_mobile.zip
20 something Transgirl that makes sounds called music
Soundcloud | Facebook | Bandcamp | Blog
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Primary: Logic Pro X
Cutie Mark: Old round oscilloscope

Postby Nine Volt » 03 Jan 2014 09:08

Callenby wrote:
senntenial wrote:reputation/karma

I've browsed reddit before and from what I've seen karma really doesn't contribute anything. Feel free to disagree, but it seems incredibly easy to manipulate. I actually did have an idea for something akin to that, though. Maybe if someone asks a question which someone answers, the OP has the option to click a button which says "this was helpful" and the more of those that someone has the more helpful their reputation becomes. For instance, it might say "this poster is helpful" or "this poster is very helpful". Also, each person can only vote on a post once, or maybe on each person's posts once.

I don't actually know how that would work in practice, though. It is indeed like reddit karma (and certainly not perfect) but I think that might be better than simple total post counts, which are very misleading.

Also, for dealing with those ubiquitous kitchen threads, have the the security questions for creating new accounts changed at all? I just checked and unless I'm mistaken they're the same ones as they've always been. Maybe change them so they're a little more difficult or replace them with one of those captcha things.

This poster was helpful.

That means I agree with them.
Nine Volt

Postby senntenial » 03 Jan 2014 22:06

Acsii wrote:On the note of a mobile optimised site. I through this together using a quick tool. The colours are taken from the header colour and the link colour. installation interactions are contained within the code. http://ultrazoidsshed.x10.mx/forum/art_mobile.zip

Not exactly sure how to read all of that at once, but I think the best way to go through anything is just to change the CSS so the website is responsive.

Callenby wrote:I've browsed reddit before and from what I've seen karma really doesn't contribute anything. Feel free to disagree, but it seems incredibly easy to manipulate. I actually did have an idea for something akin to that, though. Maybe if someone asks a question which someone answers, the OP has the option to click a button which says "this was helpful" and the more of those that someone has the more helpful their reputation becomes. For instance, it might say "this poster is helpful" or "this poster is very helpful". Also, each person can only vote on a post once, or maybe on each person's posts once.

To be honest I haven't really been on reddit much at all so you're probably right about your opinions of their point system. Ultimately I was thinking more along the lines of The Verge. I like that posts that are recommended more than 5 times are highlighted so speed-readers can skip right to good stuff instead of skimming over filler comments in search of an answer. Another good system that awards points is Stack Overflow, where users can upvote and select correct answers. I think this would actually help users get better answers more quickly. Not only that, but it would encourage active use of the forum. "+1" will be heard much more than "thank you".
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Freewave » 03 Jan 2014 23:57

All i would ask is if you can turn it off in off-topic threads that be appreciated. Sometimes these +1's or thumbs up will be used in spam threads for jokes rather in the the music threads for reviewing tracks or giving helpful production advice. The places where having such a system would truly be needed.
Freewave

Postby Jokeblue » 04 Jan 2014 02:52

Freewave wrote:All i would ask is if you can turn it off in off-topic threads that be appreciated. Sometimes these +1's or thumbs up will be used in spam threads for jokes rather in the the music threads for reviewing tracks or giving helpful production advice. The places where having such a system would truly be needed.

Due that I don't think a Karma or Thumbs up system would work all that well. Seems like it would be too easy to abuse, or could also just come off as a bit of a big circlejerk between regular members.

Despite that, it could potentially help diffuse situations akin to the Muzic Whooves fiasco, as Newbies may be more inclined to listen to what one with Higher reputation would have to say rather than dissmissing everyone as trolls or haters. Granted, the people who'd probably want to thumb down or give negative karma (like many probs would have done with Muzic Whooves) would have to try cooperate and not be too or immediately hostile or aggressive towards them.

senntenial wrote:I like that posts that are recommended more than 5 times are highlighted so speed-readers can skip right to good stuff instead of skimming over filler comments in search of an answer. Another good system that awards points is Stack Overflow, where users can upvote and select correct answers. I think this would actually help users get better answers more quickly. Not only that, but it would encourage active use of the forum. "+1" will be heard much more than "thank you".

One thing I can think of though is this could potentially lead to the forum being akin to Youtube or Facebook where you have people almost competing to get the 'most liked' comment. Not entirely a bad thing as like you said it could encourage posting and being active, but it could also make people start posting with just that goal in mind rather than posting because they wanted to post. I dont really think that everyone will base the Karma system off of 'Helpfulness' when it's also quite easy to base karma off of 'lulzyness'. And if you're using stack over flow or Highlights, theres always that chance of being misdirected through to a post that shouldnt have been as upvoted as it was rather than the help you were after.

If you were going to implement a karma system, like I think Callenby said before it should try to be based around the helpfulness of the comment for music (or art seeing as there's that fanworks gossip thread) discussion, theory or feedback.

But then again, if you make the Karma system work off of Helpfulness theres always that chance that it could adversly affect those who do like to have a little fun in posting and discourage them from doing so as the priority will be more focused towards help and advice. Not sure if that's really a problem or a realistic concern but it could dull things a little :3

To me the karma system seems like a good idea but also seems exploitable and kinda problematic if you consider using a stack overflow or highlight option.

...I hope that any of this made sense and it's just not me rambling about future possibilities. I've found that when I write big forum posts like this there's a lot of editing and mind changing in some parts so i slowly begin to lose track or focus of what i'm saying.

Oh, Also on a side note here - at the moment it doesn't look like I can post in any of the threads in the new "Music Discussion" sub-forum. Is that being worked on?
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby ExoBassTix » 04 Jan 2014 04:37

senntenial wrote:here are just some ideas I've been mulling over:

Not to come off as harsh, but that would make me cry. This is one of those forums that isn't messed up on iPhone (or messes up my iPhone with lag or the like).

- more uniform signatures so posts are less messy (e.g. don't allow youtube videos)

Maybe not allow them unspoilered? That would serve as a good rule I reckon.

Freewave wrote:All i would ask is if you can turn it off in off-topic threads that be appreciated. Sometimes these +1's or thumbs up will be used in spam threads for jokes rather in the the music threads for reviewing tracks or giving helpful production advice. The places where having such a system would truly be needed.

I really agree to this. On AmbientOnline forum, for example, you got a "Thanks" button that people use to thank the poster for. Even though there isn't that much off-topic stuff going on there (there is some though), everyone uses it seriously and, in my point of view, appropriately.

Though I'm starting to think we shouldn't have it here because MLR hasn't the sane level of being serious about being here and posting here (in general). And Jokeblue even suggested the possibility of inappropriate use of a karma/rep/thanks implementation. That furthermore proves it might not be smart to add such a system here, however much I'd like it to be (possible).

Do implement it when the commoner (general) MLR populace (hahaha I said it!) becomes generally more serious about participation in membership. If it happens, I suggest the thanks system, since it can't be used for negative responses, and can better show the helpfulness (or innocence) of members here.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Freewave » 04 Jan 2014 12:58

Jokeblue wrote:
Oh, Also on a side note here - at the moment it doesn't look like I can post in any of the threads in the new "Music Discussion" sub-forum. Is that being worked on?

:shock:
Seriously? Are you still having issues? I' seeing active participation in there so if people are having problems I'll have to look into why that could possibly be occurring....

Again a Karma system i think could bring out more activie participation if done properly but i don't want to us naysay good features because some MAY abuse. I'd rather be a bit proactive when setting those up and giving out warnings if people DO abuse them.
Freewave

Postby simonli2575 » 04 Jan 2014 13:27

Freewave wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:

Seriously? Are you still having issues? I' seeing active participation in there so if people are having problems I'll have to look into why that could possibly be occurring....

Again a Karma system i think could bring out more activie participation if done properly but i don't want to us naysay good features because some MAY abuse. I'd rather be a bit proactive when setting those up and giving out warnings if people DO abuse them.

Maybe he was referring to the fact that you cannot make fast-replies in that particular sub-forum.
http://soundcloud.com/simonli2575
My YouTube channel
Steam profile
Software: FL Studio, Z3ta+2 & Massive
Hardware: Roland 800-Pro and a computer
Genres: Drum 'n' Bass and occasionally Jungle
Genres I want to try out: Dubstep, Breakcore, Hardstyle and Trap
Alycs made my new avatar. \o/
simonli2575

Cutie Mark: Why are you staring at my ass

Postby Magnitude Zero » 04 Jan 2014 14:22

I'm totally in favor of a "This helped me" button as long as the site DOESN'T keep track of how many each user has total. As in, only show how many a particular post has, not how many each user has earned over all of their posts. That would make it very easy to karma-whore, for lack of a better term.

karma whorse

ha ha ha
Formerly known as Blind

DAW: FL Studio 10
Style: Chill/Downtempo

Soundcloud | Youtube | Tumblr
Magnitude Zero

Primary: FL Studio 10
Cutie Mark: Horse butt not large enough

Postby Jokeblue » 04 Jan 2014 19:38

simonli2575 wrote:
Freewave wrote:
Jokeblue wrote:

Maybe he was referring to the fact that you cannot make fast-replies in that particular sub-forum.

Ah, nevermind it seems to be fixed now. Wasn't working yesterday. Yeah, that's what I meant, there was no fast reply for any of the topics, but yeah it looks like its all good now :3
Youtube || Soundcloud || Skype: Thejokingblue

New song! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4lFqkuY5Fg
Jokeblue

Primary: Protools SE
Cutie Mark: Failure

Postby senntenial » 06 Jan 2014 01:59

ExoBassTix wrote:

Not to come off as harsh, but that would make me cry. This is one of those forums that isn't messed up on iPhone (or messes up my iPhone with lag or the like).

Ah, but it can be so much better! Here's what the forum currently looks like on my iPhone 4S:

Notice that the words are small, and you need to zoom in to do anything well. It's not optimized for smaller screens.

I'm not sure how the CSS is set up for this forum, but I'd gamble that it's fairly easy and quick to convert to a more responsive and mobile friendly layout.

Also unrelated, but the minimum character amount to post is kinda broken like I can basically do...
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby senntenial » 06 Jan 2014 02:03

this. .......................
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby ExoBassTix » 06 Jan 2014 03:26

senntenial wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:

Ah, but it can be so much better! Here's what the forum currently looks like on my iPhone 4S:

Notice that the words are small, and you need to zoom in to do anything well. It's not optimized for smaller screens.

I'm not sure how the CSS is set up for this forum, but I'd gamble that it's fairly easy and quick to convert to a more responsive and mobile friendly layout.

I'm okay with it as long as it doesn't end up like other forums I know, on which zooming is something that kills my iPhone already, or signatures are invisible/settings are difficult to manage/stripped-down interface which I totally don't want.

senntenial wrote:this. .......................

Oh you. Everyone does that, though you can also just add a color code without the dots.
I just hope that the shameless bout of anarchism against a set board rule ends soon.
Collecting dust...

ExoBassTix

Postby Acsii » 06 Jan 2014 06:21

senntenial wrote:
ExoBassTix wrote:

Also unrelated, but the minimum character amount to post is kinda broken like I can basically do...

I posted a link earlier of a phpbb3 compatible mobile forum thing that the admins can add
Placing my tongue on the GR meter to taste the gain reduction I some how improved my skills.
Acsii

Postby senntenial » 06 Jan 2014 15:40

I actually don't know who would be able to modify the forum. I certainly don't have access, I'd assume Circuit would but he doesn't seem to be here
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Acsii » 07 Jan 2014 04:56

I believe Circuit is the only one with access to the ftp side of the website so...
Acsii

Postby senntenial » 10 Jan 2014 00:43

is this even ftp I always assumed it was like forumotion or something
senntenial
Global Moderator

Postby Acsii » 10 Jan 2014 06:13

ftp was the wrong word... what I meant is that the owner of the hosting account can access the file side of the forum... as far as i know...
Acsii

Postby topitmunkeydog » 20 Jan 2014 08:09

eep what's happened to the Official Spam Thread!? I've been away so I haven't been checking up on it... Did someone say something stupid again?

edit: and the DWM thread? was there a large argument?
topitmunkeydog

Primary: (trying to learn) ableton
Cutie Mark: yes

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion