Music label

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: Music label

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 31 Jul 2011 19:22

Bad Pony Records sounds like a good idea for a name, I suppose. I'll +1 that.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2011 19:59

Beautiful Heart Records
(Elements of) Harmony Records
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby JackleApp » 31 Jul 2011 22:05

MLR Church of Sound
or just Church of Sound
or just C.O.S.
I'm obsessed with the "Church of Sound" thing, I don't know why.
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Whitetail » 31 Jul 2011 22:10

Ponyscape Records
Friendship is Music
Music is Magic

Though I do like "Bad Pony Records"
It's got attitude
Whitetail

Postby JackleApp » 31 Jul 2011 22:31

Ponytrot...
Fillydelphia Records...
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Senator Myth » 31 Jul 2011 23:09

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we became a legal entity, couldn't we get permission to legally cover songs and music owned by Hasbro? Maybe a long shot, but if even possible that would be totally enough to motivate me to get behind this project.

For names: Why not just plain ol'

Brony Records

Or some other relatively stupid ideas:

Rainboom Records
Blankflank Records
Octavia Records

Although a lot of the other ideas in this thread are cool too.

Seriously guys... All the bronies in this fandom are CRAZY.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Chain_Algorithm » 01 Aug 2011 11:20

Senator Myth wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but if we became a legal entity, couldn't we get permission to legally cover songs and music owned by Hasbro? Maybe a long shot, but if even possible that would be totally enough to motivate me to get behind this project.

For names: Why not just plain ol'

Brony Records

[/i]

Well, we don't want to be exclusively pony. In the end it would be a commercial usage production team AND label that would support recording, venue group acts, and publicity.

if we DO go far enough, we don't want something that is directly or even indirectly mlp related since then they would own copyright to everything FORREEEEEVEEEEERRRRR
DAW: Reason 5
Genre (prefered): Progressive House/Trance, various DnB styles.
Chain_Algorithm

Postby [voodoopony] » 01 Aug 2011 14:17

I haven't read the entire thread so forgive me if I'm bringing up topics that have been discussed.

I love the idea of making a pony record label. Since it's non profit and whatnot it needn't be as professional as Capital Records or anything, but it could just be a label for pony music to be released under.

Here are some ideas:

We'd need a domain for the music itself, and it can be linked or connected to this forum somehow since it's where all the musicians are at.
Hasbro Records, Pon-3 Records, or whatever we call it can release each of the remix wars' total submissions as a box set or internet download as an ongoing tradition of the label.
Since it's a group effort we can have some talented bronies to the artwork or albums and EPs, perhaps artists of deviantart and whatnot who would volunteer.
Overall it would be a professional database that archives all of the music in the label and the latest releases could be displayed on the home page, etc.

I'm pulling these out my ass as you can see but this sounds fun.

I like Chain's ideas, though some of it is beyond me [business wise]. It'd be amazing if it pulled through though.
I like Derpy Groove's name, [Elements of] Harmony Records. I 1up that.
Warning: May cause rapid chest hair growth.
Youtube - Bandcamp
[voodoopony]

Postby Stars In Autumn » 01 Aug 2011 18:59

Well, I agree with Chain in that we'd have to be careful how we relate it (if at all) to Hasbro's property. I don't know what we can do legally without a license from Hasbro, but I'm fairly certain we're all violating copyright laws by just using samples from the show in our songs, even if it isn't for profit. I just don't think Hasbro cares about that particularly, as they see the fandom as a good thing.

But maybe that'd change if we start a business based around the show (even if all the stuff we do related to pony is free)? I know some people have gotten C&Ds from Hasbro when they tried to sell unlicensed merch (Celestia Radio as an example). We'd be a bit different, but I dunno.

If we could get a license from Hasbro, that'd be great.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby capitalbrony » 01 Aug 2011 20:46

Actually, you can sample music/sounds less than 30 seconds under "fair use" IIRC.

EDIT: It looks like it's a grey area, and comes down to things like "substantial amounts" and other vague legal definitions. The consensus is that the easiest way to avoid is to get permission from the rights holder. I bet you could get a blanket permission from Hasbro, if the purpose of the group was charitable? ( http://zvulony.ca/2010/articles/intelle ... -sampling/ )

Hi everypony. I'm Chain Algorithm's webmaster.

As he might have alluded to, I'd be more than happy to set you guys up with hosting for this project endeavour. As he can attest, I've got the ability to slam together a content-managed site pretty quickly, and within a reasonable budget. It would allow multiple people to manage the site, allow uploads, and a pretty slick interface for managing tracks, etc... There's even some pretty wicked interfaces for paypal, etc... though accepting money through a site is no small undertaking, you have to establish a lot of oversight and generally have a pretty good organizational structure.

Anyways, feel free to hit me up (capitalbrony at gmail.com) or messages through Chain Algorithm.

P.S. I like the idea of it being a charitable organization. Imagine the kind of public press you guys could get from some sizable donations to the Habsro Children's Hospital foundation?

-CB
capitalbrony

Postby Icky » 02 Aug 2011 07:34

my vote goes to Twinkie Pinkie Records.
Icky

Postby Diss Order » 02 Aug 2011 13:46

@capitalbrony, that sounds very great. I'd love to co-operate in a project like this. I have some experience in managing/building and designing websites, so if you guys need some help there I'd be more than willing to do so. :)

Also, if you guys are in need of cash to make this happen, send me a donate button and I'll try to figure out how paypal works
. :P

As for the name: Don't try to go for something obscure and hipster, please... Just the plain 'Brony Records' would do. :P

But if you must, here have some hipster word mashups: Equilizer Records(equine + equalizer), Manestream Productions, Badflank Music (euphemism for badass), Sillyfilly (I just like the way it sounds, shut up :P)...

[/hipster bullshit mode]
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 04 Aug 2011 18:41

I like Equilizer Records, except that it just looks like a misspelling of "equalizer".

Also, uh, sorry for not being too active in this thread, but I feel I'll be more useful when we start getting rolling past the name and hosting logistics phase~

I think, though, that there will be one thing that we never have to worry about: shortage of music to put out. I have a feeling that once we start accepting submissions for the first comp album, it'll only take a matter of two or three weeks (as opposed to the months it takes other start-up netlabels) to get a good tracklist down. I'll volunteer myself to streamline the submission process and package it, if nopony else wants to.

That is, when we get to it. Just putting my hat in early.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Rainbow Hash » 04 Aug 2011 19:01

Supersaw Hoover wrote:I like Equilizer Records, except that it just looks like a misspelling of "equalizer".

Also, uh, sorry for not being too active in this thread, but I feel I'll be more useful when we start getting rolling past the name and hosting logistics phase~

I think, though, that there will be one thing that we never have to worry about: shortage of music to put out. I have a feeling that once we start accepting submissions for the first comp album, it'll only take a matter of two or three weeks (as opposed to the months it takes other start-up netlabels) to get a good tracklist down. I'll volunteer myself to streamline the submission process and package it, if nopony else wants to.

That is, when we get to it. Just putting my hat in early.

Or Equinizer Records :P

I'm totally supportive of this, I have limited PHP and web design skills, I'd love to help however I can
Rainbow Hash

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 08 Aug 2011 21:37

Rainbow Hash wrote:Or Equinizer Records :P

A++ improvement
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Diss Order » 09 Aug 2011 16:32

So can we all stop saying we support it, waiting for shit to happen, AND START MAKING SHIT HAPPEN PLZKTHX!?

Good luck with arranging shit, I'm off to bed... Peace niggaz! [/seriouspostisserious]

No really, we gotta make things happen! Let's get talkin! :D
New aliases: Subhoofer, for online fandom stuffs. Name Not Required is for original stuff. :)

https://soundcloud.com/djnnr/lemons-2nd-preview
Diss Order

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 13 Aug 2011 00:19

Yeah ok so what we need to do is get a system in place. We need the following things:

1. a shared email account (preferably gmail because free and easy to manage attachments) for track submission

2. designated jobs for compilation and stuff (I'll volunteer packaging duties or something)

3. more than one thread (i.e. we make our own IRC chatroom or subforum or something) to discuss things like if a specific track should be on what album or whatever.

4. a website to put this stuff on.

It needs to be a team effort, but we need to divy up some jobs so we can get it rolling. I can set up the shared gmail over the weekend unless somepony else wants to do it. Point is that anypony actively involved in this should have the password. We're going to need a list of ponies who are willing to devote time to not just making tracks for this but for organizing it. Let's get that going, first.

Anypony want to make a google doc for that? I suck at making those.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Whitetail » 13 Aug 2011 10:30

Didn't Chain say he already has a domain or something Supersaw?
Whitetail

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 14 Aug 2011 22:45

...maybe

Well, that's one down.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby RobotPony » 15 Aug 2011 01:56

I am also interested, but I am not sure how much help I can be.
RobotPony

Previous

Return to Off-Topic Discussion