Music label

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Music label

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 30 Jul 2011 23:23

So a bunch of ponies in the synchtube for RW3 and I were talking about making a music label based on the users of MLR with both pony and non-pony content.

This thread is to discuss such an idea.

I, for one, am for it, and would love to organize releases, seeing that I already help manage a netlabel that does comp albums.
Supersaw Hoover

Re: Music label

Postby JackleApp » 30 Jul 2011 23:25

I second all of this.
However, I think it should be exclusively pony, and non-profit as well. (or maybe a charitable kind a thing)
I'd definitely love to be a part of this (either putting music out for it, or helping out where needed)
But I wanna see what everyone else thinks.
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Whitetail » 30 Jul 2011 23:41

A Pony based record label?
Awesome

@Jackle
Well note that with the subject matter, we can't make a profit off the content unless we get expressed permission directly from Hasbro, which of course would be a bit impossible, at least atm.
Whitetail

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 30 Jul 2011 23:46

I thought it was going to be net releases.

You fillies want to go physical?
Supersaw Hoover

Postby JackleApp » 30 Jul 2011 23:50

Oh I know about the profit thing!
I just wanted to dispel any ideas that there would be a chance for profit! (or some better excuse)

I was still thinking net release...
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 31 Jul 2011 00:01

Yeah so basically propagate a well-organized net release of tracks with proper packaging across brony networks?
Supersaw Hoover

Postby DerpyGrooves » 31 Jul 2011 00:02

Net release would probably be more profitable in the short term. If there's interest, we should look into CDs, but until then let's just play the MP3 game.
"Had you played some free jazz to ninety five per cent of the people who had made 'Take Five' a smash, they would have run for cover behind the latest release by Pat Boone." - The Timelords
DerpyGrooves

Postby Stars In Autumn » 31 Jul 2011 00:06

I'd love to be a part of the label, as long as there is no profit in it. I don't want to get sued >_>.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 31 Jul 2011 00:14

We're releasing free net releases, okay?

Free.

Let's get that settled.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Whitetail » 31 Jul 2011 00:16

Well first we're going to need a name, then a domain
Whitetail

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 31 Jul 2011 00:21

We could always mooch off of MLR on a subdomain, eh?

But yeah, we need to decide if it's pony label or not before we get a name.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Chain_Algorithm » 31 Jul 2011 01:33

hmm.. but what if we got together to make a record center that is for original recording and production of commercial stuff. both as stand-alone discography and for commercial orders (games, tv, etc)
we could use our current fans to donate and work through Kickstart, maybe make some original discography for sale. create an orginization bank account, and put a majority profit of songs and all donations in there. then we could purchase equiptment and an HQ.... ...maybe
DAW: Reason 5
Genre (prefered): Progressive House/Trance, various DnB styles.
Chain_Algorithm

Postby Supersaw Hoover » 31 Jul 2011 01:47

Uh...the point is to make a netlabel. You're thinking wayyyyyy too grand. We should concentrate on releasing free compilation albums before even considering any of that.
Supersaw Hoover

Postby Chain_Algorithm » 31 Jul 2011 01:49

hasn't that already been done?
Chain_Algorithm

Postby Interrobang Pie » 31 Jul 2011 03:00

Yeah, I'll join or something. Who knows.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby zorg » 31 Jul 2011 04:27

i'd join too, and i can also see some merit in chain's megalomaniac ideas (i have my own versions too :3) but it's a bit soon for those, not to mention that physical HQ would mean that it'd have to be at one place only, and i'm not gonna bounce from europe to usa that frequently in the near future... so yeah; physical distance constraints.

But we should compile kinda like a showcase album for the net label, all original works, a pony one or a non-pony one, not my place to decide which though.
^feel free to disregard | genres... what are those? | :3
[collabgeddon] - too much time passed for this
Do feel free to keep in touch through discord: #zorg "eight" "rod" "inverted-E" "four"
zorg

Primary: ILyEAN (v0.0.0.0) [Designing Phase]
Cutie Mark: Usually Invisible

Postby Andy Feelin » 31 Jul 2011 06:22

Guys just explain me what is the difference between a label and just any site with music downloads.
Favourite pony: Fluttershy
Genre: eurodance, 80's italo-disco, synthpop
Soft: FL studio 5
Hard: CASIO CTK-900, ALISA 1387, Elsita RMIF e-drumset, Epiphone Embassy bass guitar
YouTube
Discography on MLR (latest update: 2004 - Margarita)
Andy Feelin

Postby catmilly » 31 Jul 2011 08:20

Some people are saying "net releases" and others are saying "we've already done that", but what about actually re-releasing the pre-existing remix war rounds in a more organized/unified way? Assuming everypony agrees to such a thing.

Think about all of the fun we could have fighting over the track listing/album art/web hosting.

Or we could do a 15 record collector's set with extended dance remixes of every song and a 30 page fanart booklet. Comes in a 1:1 Plexiglas pony shaped holder.

AND all of the vinyl is coloured, each record matching a different pony's colour scheme.

BUT ACTUALLY my idea was we could maybe do something like a "remix war b-sides" and everypony who wants to be on the label could do a drastically different mix of a song they've previously submitted. Might be a nice easy test run.
catmilly

Postby Whitetail » 31 Jul 2011 09:56

Chain_Algorithm wrote:hmm.. but what if we got together to make a record center that is for original recording and production of commercial stuff. both as stand-alone discography and for commercial orders (games, tv, etc)
we could use our current fans to donate and work through Kickstart, maybe make some original discography for sale. create an orginization bank account, and put a majority profit of songs and all donations in there. then we could purchase equiptment and an HQ.... ...maybe

Thing is, the legality behind that is really shaky
On top of that begging for donations isn't exactly the most dignified
And we're from all around the world, how would we even go about making an HQ? Equipment? It'd probably end up with one person with some fancy new stuff, and a ton of disappointing people angry at participating and getting nothing out of it.

I think we should go the CatMilly route, at least for now - if we're going to do it, let's have some fun with it.
Whitetail

Postby JackleApp » 31 Jul 2011 11:37

So I think we've established completely that they're going to be:
>Free
>Net released

So honestly, shouldn't we move on to the next step?
ie: Name and Domain?
I know a few web designers...

Or am I thinking too far in the future...
Image DA MAGIKS
JackleApp

Postby Chain_Algorithm » 31 Jul 2011 13:43

JackleApp wrote:So I think we've established completely that they're going to be:
>Free
>Net released

So honestly, shouldn't we move on to the next step?
ie: Name and Domain?
I know a few web designers...

Or am I thinking too far in the future...

not at all dude... i got a site.. it was cheap... of course a friend did do it, maybe we can hire him.
Chain_Algorithm

Postby Chain_Algorithm » 31 Jul 2011 13:44

zorg wrote:and i can also see some merit in chain's megalomaniac ideas (i have my own versions too :3) but it's a bit soon for those

oh clearly.. what I said was the ultimate end point.

Here's my plan.... make a site for release of music... pony and non-pony. After some growth, we should decide whether or not to engage in Operation Prony. If Operation Prony is a go, we make an organization bank account with parallel leadership between at least 10 people and legal documentation for fund usage (so nobody cheats out). Donations and maybe a pitch on Kickstart would go fully to that locked account. Those involved could sell original works through the site and itunes. at least 60% of those earnings go into the mass fund. As a team, we could hire our company (still net based) for whoever needs soundtracks for anything (games, commercials, etc) (cuz clearly we are that versatile). Again, at least 60% of those earnings go to the organization and the rest are distributed among the contributors at a rate pre-determined for each individual.

The fund, after years of growth (and assuming things go as planned), would be used to set up an HQ. We could then use that as a production facility and studio for the team. At this point we will have become a 100% prony label. I don't know how old you guys are, but if things get this far, I would be willing to move.

Due to the insane nature of this and the fact that involves money, we will need a contingency. In the case that the fund has been created and grown, but the final plan has been proven impossible without reasonable doubt, the fund will be liquidated. The entirety will be dispersed among a multitude of charities. This is to prevent members for voting the project as doomed so they can get more money. To prevent sabotage, the charities will be kept secret and only made known upon asset liquidation, however they will be selected prior to creating the legal document defining the company. This would all be done in presence of an arbitrator.

The name: Bad Pony Records... as a homage to our beginnings.

... questions? comments? flaming?
Chain_Algorithm

Postby Makkon » 31 Jul 2011 13:55

I vote for this name:

President Taft's Secret Pony Brigade.

Otherwise I have nothing to offer as far as ideas go.
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Stars In Autumn » 31 Jul 2011 14:05

Crazy idea Chain!

I'd love to take part, because it'd be a lot of fun. I honestly have no idea how the whole process works though. I'll have to do some research into how it's being done now by start-ups.
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby Interrobang Pie » 31 Jul 2011 14:26

Woah, that's a totally insane idea. I have no idea how this all works though.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Next

Return to Off-Topic Discussion