--Introduction Thread-- Newbies Please Use This Thread First

Sports, politics, movies, videogames, questionable hobbies, photos from your family vacation, etc. Talk about stuff that isn't ponies or music. But do try to stay on topic and respectful of alternate opinions.

Re: --Introduction Thread--

Postby zahqo » 04 Oct 2011 05:03

Hey guys, zaco here (Real name, Sean). Not much to say but I dig ponies and fresh beats. As soon as I can clear my plate, I'd love to make some time to get into this, definitely into the idea of collaboration. On the side I do web design.

Favorite genres: I'm pretty widespread but if we're talking electronica which is probably my tilt, then I'd say breaks, goa, ambient, chillout or lounge.

I could probably name a bunch of random groups that interest me but a few specifics include Hybrid, Conjure One, Ulrich Schnauss and Xerxes.
zahqo

Postby bartekko » 04 Oct 2011 09:25

zaco wrote:Favorite genres: I'm pretty widespread but if we're talking electronica which is probably my tilt, then I'd say breaks, goa, ambient, chillout or lounge.

I LOVE ambient and chillout, but there's not many artists making this kind of music.
so,
welcome
[00:27:11] <@z0r8> you are voiced, now shut up
bartekko

Postby Makkon » 04 Oct 2011 11:46

Welcome, zaco! Excited to hear your stuff soon :]
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby Ropony » 04 Oct 2011 12:54

zaco wrote:ambient, chillout or lounge

All i needed to know, I look forward to checking out what you can create.

Hope you enjoy your welcome here.
Ropony

Postby Tephrax » 08 Oct 2011 15:48

Hey guys :D I'm Tephrax.

- I'm 17
- I've had no formal music education since 3 years ago, though I do wish i'd taken it as a subject.

I always wanted to make my own music, though never did, but then ponies came along.
The community inspired me, especially glaze/makkon/notacleverpony/EBB. You guys have some awesome music!

Feel free to poke holes in whatever I make. I need the criticism :P

Really looking forward to hearing from your experiences, and learning from you. Keep on rocking bronies! ;)
Last edited by Tephrax on 14 Nov 2011 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
Tephrax

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 08 Oct 2011 18:24

Hey Tephrax! I enjoyed your "I'm Sorry" fan music!
If you're worried about money, (without resulting to yarr harring!) then there's a free version of Kontakt that can play many free vsts around the net! Take a look around the forums for any threads about free vsts and soundfonts, you'll have more than enough to keep you going!

We hope you enjoy your time here!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby MidgetBrony » 12 Oct 2011 17:01

Hello,to be honest I really wouldn't know how to introduce myself But meh, Let's give it a try.

My name is MidgetBrony (Midget I will respond to in a heartbeat.) I love all different kinds of Music so It's hard to say what is my Favorite, it has gone all the way to Metal, Trance, DubStep, NerdCore, Rap, Country (Once in a while), J-Pop, J-Rock, General Techno... oh the list can continue.

Just started trying to remixes and such. When Starting I mean It's been only a month. So excuse me when Some questions can seem, how should I put it... bad.
MidgetBrony

Postby WoodenToaster » 12 Oct 2011 18:02

Welcome to the forum dude, and don't worry about asking us anything, we were all new at one point.
WoodenToaster

Postby Aussie » 13 Oct 2011 12:51

slow_clap_processor wrote:I played piano with a post-rock (think Explosions in the Sky and Russian Circles) for a while.

slow_clap_processor wrote:I'm also considering Ableton for comparison.

slow_clap_processor wrote:post-rock, old school punk, underground hip-hop, indie rock, nerdcore rap, chiptune rock, and some eletronic and techno stuff thrown in for good measure :D

slow_clap_processor wrote:Pinkie Pie.

We're gonna be great friends.
Aussie

Postby Makkon » 13 Oct 2011 13:38

Hahaha, awesome man. Welcome to the forums. I'd be interested in hearing your post-rock stuff, that's a genre I've always enjoyed :]
youtube | deviantart | tumblr

I'm Makkon.
Makkon
Site Admin

Postby UnderpΩny » 13 Oct 2011 16:27

Hay Guise.

I go by the name of UnderpΩny. The omega is because a) It's cool and b) It looks like a horseshoe. The Remix Wars gave me the excuse I needed to start making some proper music. I'm currently halfway through an A-level in Music Tech, so hopefully one day I'll be making top-notch stuff like the rest of you!
UnderpΩny

Postby Interrobang Pie » 13 Oct 2011 16:31

>Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 14:13
>Posted: 1 minute ago

Oh well. Hello.
A great man wrote:Circuitfry: fries circuits of this whole topic, one at a time (I know that's not how servers work, but Puns work all the time)
Interrobang Pie

Postby Tiaaaaa » 13 Oct 2011 17:10

Hello all, I'm Tiaaaaa.

A little about myself? Um, well obviously I like ponies. And music. And also pony music. I have a really eclectic taste in music and I listen to at least a little bit of just about everything. I absolutely love rock, techno, and orchestral music, though.
I don't really have much experience with making music, and I don't have any formal training in music theory or anything like that, but I'm not completely useless as far as music is concerned. I can play the piano... poorly. The sort of music I hope to do is...um... I'm not entirely sure what the genre is called, actually. Mellow maybe? Stuff along the lines of PinkiePieSwear's Flutterwonder, Foozogz's Sparkle, or JackleApp's I Love Everything. Anyway, I hope to get better (or at least become not terrible), so please bear with me.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Dr_Dissonance » 13 Oct 2011 17:14

Tiaaaaa wrote:I can play the piano... poorly.

Me too! :P

Welcome Tiaaaaa! Feel free to ask around for help if needed. Have you made any music yet? I'd love to hear some!

We all hope you enjoy your time here!
Tubeyou
You are the hero My Little Remix deserves, not the one it needs.
So we’ll hunt you. Because you can take it. Because you’re not our hero.
You’re a silent guardian of music, a watchful protector of songs.
A doctor of dissonance.
-Phillypu
Dr_Dissonance

Postby Tiaaaaa » 13 Oct 2011 17:19

Dr_Dissonance wrote:
Welcome Tiaaaaa! Feel free to ask around for help if needed. Have you made any music yet? I'd love to hear some!

We all hope you enjoy your time here!

I have, though it's mostly been for practice. I suppose there's a piece I could post up on youtube, though. I'll see about it. And thank you very much! It's a pleasure to meet you.

Also, I forgot to mention, I work in LMMS which seems to be a bit of a Rarity, but I've seen that Circuitfry and Foozogz work in LMMS so I may occasionally bug you two about how I have no clue what I'm doing. If you don't mind, I mean.
Tiaaaaa

Postby Senator Myth » 13 Oct 2011 17:55

Tiaaaaa wrote:Hello all, I'm Tiaaaaa.
I can play the piano... poorly.

Me too. You're off to a pretty good start!

Tiaaaaa wrote:The sort of music I hope to do is...um... I'm not entirely sure what the genre is called, actually. Mellow maybe? Stuff along the lines of PinkiePieSwear's Flutterwonder, Foozogz's Sparkle, or JackleApp's I Love Everything. Anyway, I hope to get better (or at least become not terrible), so please bear with me.

I do believe that we (colloquially at least) refer to that sort of music as "chill" music.

And all of us are struggling to get better! Don't feel shy, feel free to approach any brony musician for any questions you may have. Pop into the IRC sometime, if you haven't already. Hopefully you'll find a nice home here on MLR!
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 18:11

Tiaaaaa wrote: I don't have any formal training in music theory

I think that formal training helps, but without creativity, it's nothing.
and playing piano, even a little bit enhances the creativity a whole lot.
even simple improvisations might provide a lot of catchy melodies.
However, today's music is based heavily on sound synthesis (but you propably know that)
I think that the ability to make a sound sound exactly the way you want it to is at least as important as formal training, if not more. one might make one midi sound either otherworldy, paddish, calm and relaxing, while it may also sound dark, ominous, and scary. And that's beautiful.

Why do I philosophy in the introduction thread anyway?

+ add us all on skype, as the IRC is not always hyperactive
bartekko

Postby Tiaaaaa » 13 Oct 2011 18:24

bartekko wrote:
Tiaaaaa wrote: I don't have any formal training in music theory

I think that formal training helps, but without creativity, it's nothing.
and playing piano, even a little bit enhances the creativity a whole lot.
even simple improvisations might provide a lot of catchy melodies.
However, today's music is based heavily on sound synthesis (but you propably know that)
I think that the ability to make a sound sound exactly the way you want it to is at least as important as formal training, if not more. one might make one midi sound either otherworldy, paddish, calm and relaxing, while it may also sound dark, ominous, and scary. And that's beautiful.

Why do I philosophy in the introduction thread anyway?

+ add us all on skype, as the IRC is not always hyperactive

Actually, I didn't know that. In fact, I've never heard of sound synthesis. At least, not by name. I did a quick google search, but none of what I found really helped.

Also, will add people, although I'm not on skype much. I'm not too big on phones or things like phones.
Tiaaaaa

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 18:30

Actually, I didn't know that. In fact, I've never heard of sound synthesis. At least, not by name. I did a quick google search, but none of what I found really helped.

I absolutely love rock, techno, and orchestral music,

I didn't know it is possible to know what techno is and not know what a synth is. internet will keep amazing me forever.
anyway [/offtop]
bartekko

Postby Senator Myth » 13 Oct 2011 18:38

Tiaaaaa wrote:Also, will add people, although I'm not on skype much. I'm not too big on phones or things like phones.

Ah, that's quite alright, the vast majority of the time, we use the Skype for chatting via text rather than by voice.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
-Nietzsche
My music can be found here. Please check it out!
http://www.youtube.com/user/SenatorMyth
Senator Myth

Postby Tiaaaaa » 13 Oct 2011 18:41

bartekko wrote:I didn't know it is possible to know what techno is and not know what a synth is. internet will keep amazing me forever.
anyway [/offtop]

Oh, I know what a synth is. I'm new to a lot of musical jargon, though. Don't really know much about synths either to be honest. I've mostly been messing around hoping to get better with LMMS.

Senator Myth wrote:Ah, that's quite alright, the vast majority of the time, we use the Skype for chatting via text rather than by voice.

Oh, okay. I keep forgetting Skype can be used for text too.
Tiaaaaa

Postby bartekko » 13 Oct 2011 19:02

Senator Myth wrote:Ah, that's quite alright, the vast majority of the time, we use the Skype for chatting via text rather than by voice.

Because multitasking is fun.
I can't see myself voice-chatting since 2008, it's just plain ineffective international, and even if nationally it may take less time, it's not the way you work on a song and chat at the same time
bartekko

Postby Stars In Autumn » 13 Oct 2011 20:48

slow_clap_processor wrote:
Makkon wrote:Hahaha, awesome man. Welcome to the forums. I'd be interested in hearing your post-rock stuff, that's a genre I've always enjoyed :]

Haha, I some extremely rough recordings from a practice session with my post-rock band. They were recorded with a digital camera...so yeah. Unfortunately that's all I have of that. But, we never there's stuff I wrote that we never wound up using that I'm hoping to incorporate into whatever I wind up doing.

Recycling stuff can always be fun. Good to see you on the forums!
-Stars In Autumn aka Jeffthestrider
Stars In Autumn
Site Admin

Primary: FL
Cutie Mark: Myself

Postby UnderpΩny » 14 Oct 2011 09:28

Interrobang Pie wrote:>Joined: 11 Jul 2011, 14:13
>Posted: 1 minute ago

Only just found it. *shrug*
UnderpΩny

Postby PokeBrony649 » 14 Oct 2011 19:21

ive been on here for a while now and ive only just found this forum. DAMMIT! should of looked for one first.
Anyway, a little about myself:
Name: Joshua Brown
Alias: PokeBrony649, Sonix431
Favorite MLP characters: Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy
Interests: MLP FiM (Kinda obvious), Pokemon (Kinda obvious), music, computer games
Species: Pegasis
Colour: Red
frankly i dont know much about making music. im hoping to learn more just by learning how to play pieces by ear. at the moment ive almost finished learning how to play avast fluttershys ass on the piano(still cant figure out that chord progression fast note upwards thingie) If there is anypony out there who can help me with that it would be much appreciated. if anypony is interested in poetry ive written one on luna in the poem forum.
so thats a bit about me. (Sorry if its a bit long)
Ponies are the best thing to happen to me since Pokemon and music.
PokeBrony649

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic Discussion